Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619063 [12]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [11]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 252 [1]
Given Kudos: 3989
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: If Alex and Keanu received the same total number of attempts during a [#permalink]
varundixitmro2512 wrote:
IMO C

since total number of shots are same for both the person. The percentage will give the idea that who score more bulls-eye.

Thanks

Yes that's what I thought at first, but I could not find a constraint which states that the daily number of attempts has to be the same for Keanu and Alex. I guess the constraint refers to the total number of attempts of the two-day archery competition. (So the number of attempts on Day 1 and Day 2 could vary between Keanu and Alex as long as they are the same in total)

Please correct me if I'm getting this totally wrong.

Greetings
Max
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
If Alex and Keanu received the same total number of attempts during a [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
If Alex and Keanu received the same total number of attempts during a two-day archery competition, did Alex hit more bull's-eyes than Keanu did?

(1) On the first day, Alex hit bull's-eyes on a higher percentage of shots than Keanu did.
(2) On the second day, Alex hit bull's-eyes on a higher percentage of shots than Keanu did.

Percentage usually is misleading

(1) On the first day, Alex hit bull's-eyes on a higher percentage of shots than Keanu did.

Let Alex percentage is 50% and Keanu's is 30%

If Alex has to 10 total attempts, then he got 5
If Keanu has to 100 total attempts, then he got 30

keanu shot more.

If Alex has to 100 total attempts, then he got 50
If Keanu has to 10 total attempts, then he got 3

Alex shot more

Insufficient

(2) On the second day, Alex hit bull's-eyes on a higher percentage of shots than Keanu did.

Use the same example above
Insufficient

Combing 1 & 2

Still 2 cases
Insufficient

Answer: E
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 861 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Re: If Alex and Keanu received the same total number of attempts during a [#permalink]
hoaidanh111 wrote:
If Alex and Keanu received the same total number of attempts during a two-day archery competition, did Alex hit a higher percentage of bull's-eyes than Keanu did across the competition as a whole?

clearly both are insuff

so will work with together statement

Let on first day Alex got 10 trials and hit 6 of them =60% hit
first day Keanu got 2 trials and hit only 1 of them = 50%

Second day Alex got 1 trial and hit 1 = 100%
so keanu got 9 trials and let he hits 7 of them <100%

Total of two days
Alex score 7/11
Keanu scores 8/11

clearly keanu wins....

But if may also happen that alex got all hits correct on both days
so two possibilities

insuff

Ans E
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6275 [1]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
If Alex and Keanu received the same total number of attempts during a two-day archery competition, did Alex hit more bull's-eyes than Keanu did?

We are given that Alex and Keanu received the same total number of attempts during a two-day archery competition and need to determine whether Alex hit more bull's-eyes than Keanu did.

Statement One Alone:

On the first day, Alex hit bull's-eyes on a higher percentage of shots than Keanu did.

Without having any information regarding the number of bull’s-eyes hit on day two, we cannot answer the question. Statement one is not sufficient to answer the question.

Statement Two Alone:

On the second day, Alex hit bull's-eyes on a higher percentage of shots than Keanu did.

Without having any information regarding the number of bull’s-eyes hit on day one, we cannot answer the question. Statement two is not sufficient to answer the question.

Statements One and Two Together:

Using the information from statements one and two, we still cannot answer the question.

For instance, let's say Alex hit on 9 of 10 attempts (90%) on day one and 8 of 10 attempts (80%) on day 2 while Keanu hit on 8 of 10 attempts (80%) on day 1 and 7 of 10 attempts (70%) on day 2. In that scenario, Alex would have hit more bull’s-eyes than Keanu did [Alex’s 17 hits in 20 attempts (85%) in two days vs. Keanu’s 15 hits in 20 attempts (75%) in two days].

However, if Alex hit on 20 of 200 attempts (10%) on day one and 90 of 100 attempts (90%) on day 2 while Keanu hit on 9 of 100 attempts (9%) on day 1 and 171 of 200 attempts (85.5%) on day 2, then Keanu would have hit more bull’s-eyes than Alex did [Keanu’s 180 hits in 300 attempts (60%) in two days vs. Alex’s 110 hits in 300 attempts (~36%) in two days].

Answer: E
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts