Last visit was: 04 Jun 2024, 19:58 It is currently 04 Jun 2024, 19:58
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: IE '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V52
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 413 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Schools: IE '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V52
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Re: IE Business School MiM 2018 [#permalink]
Hello Abhyank,
I have a few major doubts, and it might take some time to go through them, but i would greatly appreciate it if you help me with them.

I recently got the admission to the IE MIM program september intake 2017.
I am very interested in the program and the school. i read many reviews and articles about the pros and cons of the school and the mixed reviews about the placement possibilities and even the teaching format. eg: while some say, it is very practical and hands on and immersive, other say it is too fast and skims over many things instead of focusing in particular. My interest in IE MIM is mainly because of two things :1- its focus on entrepreneurship, and 2- its short span(1year). the added advantage of doing a beyond borders experience or dual specialization is an added bonus. The lack of a compulsory internship requirement is a plus too.

I am awaiting results from ESCP EUROPE as well. What i want to know is, is ESCP Europe relatively much better than IE? is there a very big difference in the recognition and quality. I love the whole study in 3 campuses(3countries) thing. it is a major international opportunity.I heard that ESCP EUROPE is well know in europe but not so much outside europe(because it doesnt have an MBA program). As i am also looking to work in the asian region if European placement donot work for me,this is one of the downsides i feel about the college.The second disadvantage i see is that ESCP MIM is a full time 2 year program where almost all other school are 12-18months tops.. if i add the 6month minimum internship requirement and if i have to take a gap year, it effectively turns into a 3 year program. this is too long for me and given the current internship and job opportunity(and visa) scenario in france, it seems to be difficult to get a confirmed placement there. What attracts me to ESCP is the international nature of studying in 3 countries, its seminars and possibilities to observe policy making discussions and proceedings, and the ranking which is slightly above IE MIM.

The annual fees for Escp is much less than IE, but given the 2 year nature of the program, it will end up being more than IE. added to this the living expenses for two years will be a larger amount. the fees and living expenses is not a major factor for me as funding is not a pressing matter as of now. But return of investment is what i am concerned about.Also the time that i have to invest in this degree.
I know that once in the top 10, the relative grading in the colleges don't matter much unless we compare the best and the 10th best. So at this point i'm comparing the placement opportunities, time requirement, networking possibilities, international mobility and return of investment etc.

Currently i am favouring IE, but escp also looks attractive. Can you please give your suggestion and tell me which would be better in relation to the factors i mentioned above.
For a bit of background, I am a mechanical engineer from NIT in India, 20 months experience as of today. and looking for getting back into the job market soon. I am planning to learn as much as possible the language(to a communicative degree) of which ever country, before i start the program also.

Thanks in advance,
Atul Mohan
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey atul...
Well both IE and ESCP are extremely good schools and enjoy quite a reputation in the EU so one cant really go wrong choosing one over the other here. But since you seem to be in a great dilemma over certain aspects of both the programmes, i will try to briefly communicate to you the pros and cons of both IE and ESCP MIM.
FIrst of all, it is an MIM degree you are going for, so focus more on the MIm rankings than the overall ones, because for certain EU schools like ESCP, WHU, their flagship programme is MIM and not MBA, so though the overall reputation matters , the top 10 MIM programmes enjoy good repute.

Since you want to return to the job market as quickly as possible, IEs shorter program may be good for you. But having no internships can be both good and bad mind you, since in EU a lot of the jobs are "internship-converted-to-fulltime". So think it through. IE as a school is excellent, but with the economic situation and smaller country size the process of getting a job would be more difficult there, so more or less ESCP might just be a slightly better bet for the time being.

Again, there is no one size fit all answer here really, if you like the IE experience, Spain, The teaching methodology, the entrepreneurship environment, then IE can be good, but if not, then just because its a longer program, doesn't make ESCP MIM any less exciting or fruitful as compared to IE MiM.

ROI of bOth schools are more or less same since the extra overheads of living in ESCP for two three years are somewhat compensated by the internships, scholarships, etc etc. So overall, its a really personal decision to make. As i said, you cant really go wrong here, just focus on the aspects of you care about such as salary, roi, course experience etc. And i am sure you can conclude in no time.

Hope the answer helped. Also if you want to know more about both schools, visit https://www.mim-essay.com/ie-mim-review/ and https://www.mim-essay.com/escp-mim-review/
All the best
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Hi guys,
I have applied for the February 2018 intake. I submitted my application before June 1st to take advantage of the priority admission. They say they will give you a final decision in 2 weeks. Does it mean that they give you an answer for the application within two weeks or they'll try to schedule the interview as well and give you the final decision all in these two-week period??
Also, in case they ask me to have an interview, can anyone give me some tips on the questions they ask, what to prepare for and dress code for the interview please?

Finally this is my profile, do you guys think I have a good chance of getting a positive answer:
GMAT: 710
GPA: 4.0/4.0
No relevant work experience, only some part-time jobs.
Some EC activities (clubs etc...)
Speak 4 languages.

Any thoughts??
Thanks,
Giorgio
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Hi, I'm 24 years of age and my education n work background is as follows. I'm preparing for GMAT with my exam due in August.
Guide me how should I proceed with my profile. My goal is to get into good European Schools for either Masters in Finance/ Masters in Management/ MBA ( if my profile n work ex allows)

Educational Background:

Bachelors in Commerce - Correspondence from School of Open Learning.
Chartered Accountancy- Intermediate Level ( passed both groups in first attempt)
ACCA- Professional Level ( Only 4 exams left and will qualify possibly in January or April 2018)

Apart from this my work Ex:

3 Years compulsory full time training with Bcom correspondence which is the format of Chartered Accountancy Course

2 Years as Finance manager in own family business, handling a new arm of the business when the company entered from just trading into manufacturing as well (Crossed a turnover of 2 Crores)

ECA: Vice President in Toastmasters Club wherein displayed leadership and communication skills continously. Have been a part of other NGOs , MUNs and play basketball.

Tell me do I have a good chance if I apply in some good European schools like HEC Paris , INSEAD?

Also, which schools should be my target schools? classified as Dream, Reac and Safe?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
IE Business School MiM 2018 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hey Jyo806,

Your CA and ACCA certifications will definitely add value to your profile, and showcase you as someone with sound knowledge of Finance.

Adding to that, your experience in a financial role shows that you have implemented the financial know-how you possess. Your role in your family business was also very important, where you created impact and got insights into business and management. Admission committees from top colleges look for leadership potential and business knowledge in their applicants. Hence, your work experience, if highlighted properly in your essays, will add value to your profile.

Also, was your work experience as a Finance Manager a full-time assignment or a part-time assignment? Based on the same, colleges will evaluate it as an internship or a full-fledged work experience.

Extracurricular activities are a very important part of your profile and show that you always been willing to push your boundaries and learn something new, outside your academic curriculum.
If you could tell us more in detail about your extracurricular activities, we can analyze your profile better, and give you better suggestions.

INSEAD, would be a tough bet for you, since the average age of the students are 27-28,
HEC can be an option but its also a very competitive school, where all the students have stellar applications and most of them have a 700+ GMAT score. Hence its definitely a dream school.

I would suggest diversifying your options. So you can take up our Free Profile Evaluation test so that you can analyze your profile better and suggest a few schools.
Here is the link for the same: https://mim-essay.com/profile-evaluation?gcf
GMAT Club Bot
IE Business School MiM 2018 [#permalink]
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3131 posts