Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 11:18 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing, Sustainability
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
Re: Timing and accuracy on SC! Experts please help [#permalink]
Hey Sharath - I am in a similar position. Took my first mock yesterday - GMATPrep 1 - Q46V34 (650). I have been prepping for a month odd with Veritas classroom course. Havent been able to focus till last 2 weeks. I am at 1min45sec @ SC. As previously stated, timing issues don't occur in a vacuum. I rushed the second half of both V and Q. I reviewed some time tracker tips on youtube. Basically have a 'burn' list and dump out of those questions next time - eg CR with boldface (for me) matching arguments. Never seem to get them right. My target score is close to yours. My current focus area is DS and SC. As a non-native speaker I approach the SC like you do. The read and fix strategy works in the 500-600 level max. After that its tough to apply .... 80percentile onwards it gets ugly!!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Rich for the reply,
Below are responses to your questions, looking forward to some help:

1) What study materials have you used?- Took classroom coaching with Crackverbal, used OG and VR.
2) What 'steps' do you go through on a typical SC, RC and CR prompt?-
My SC methodology:
1. Quickly sift through the choices, identify things like(which, where, Has vs have, verb+ing, pronouns etc.)-15-20 secs
2. Read and understand the original choice wrt the meaning and then eliminate (with the differences I found in the initial scan) a few choices.
3. Off the options left I re-read the un-underlined portion with the options at hand. (Here i take a lot of time to zero in on the answer).
RC-
1. Read the passage in 3-4 mins.. I do try getting the tone of the author and the overall view without getting into details.
2. General questions(30-40 sec) I answer without going back to passage, rest (1-1.3 sec) I get back to specific areas
CR-
1. Read the question whether its assumption,inference etc.
2. Understand the premise-conclusion and quickly prethink some solution.
3. Eliminate wrong options and arrive at the correct one.

Goals:
3) What is your exact Test Date?-Yet to take the date- Tentatively first week of August
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?-- This year
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?-Indain B schools

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Sharath,

Many Test Takers face pacing problems while dealing with either the Quant or Verbal section (or both). Pacing problems don't exist on their own though - they're the results of OTHER problems. Based on what you've described, there are some 'inefficiencies' with how you're dealing with SC as a whole. However, those issues might not be the only areas that are causing your pacing problems in the Verbal section, so it would help to know a bit more about how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What study materials have you used?
2) What 'steps' do you go through on a typical SC, RC and CR prompt?

Goals:
3) What is your exact Test Date?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
vismadeb

I reviewed my GMATprep 1 SC yesterday in depth, tried redoing those questions again with timer one. I took around 1 min on an average, a good percent that I got wrong earlier I could get them right this time.
What I realized was that with the time presssure, I fixated myself to pure grammatical rules.
In one of the questions I outright rejected two options because a ver+ing modifier was immediately after a (preposition+noun) and it didnt make sense.
While reviewing I understood that I was really getting into the finer details without getting a hang of the bigger picture.
Today I will try doing the same on new SC questions and update the results here.
CR-I have taken a conscious call to skip BF, unless it comes at the start. With my average timing, I will have to skip 1-2 CR and run super quick on 1-2 SC.

Do update on what worked for you and what did not!

Sharath

vismadeb wrote:
Hey Sharath - I am in a similar position. Took my first mock yesterday - GMATPrep 1 - Q46V34 (650). I have been prepping for a month odd with Veritas classroom course. Havent been able to focus till last 2 weeks. I am at 1min45sec sc. As previously stated, timing issues don't occur in a vacuum. I rushed the second half of both V and Q. I reviewed some time tracker tips on youtube. Basically have a 'burn' list and dump out of those questions next time - eg CR with boldface (for me) matching arguments. Never seem to get them right. My target score is close to yours. My current focus area is DS and SC. As a non-native speaker I approach the SC like you do. The read and fix strategy works in the 500-600 level max. After that its tough to apply .... 80percentile onwards it gets ugly!!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Sharath,

Based on what you've described, it is not clear how often (or how thoroughly) you are taking notes as you work through the Verbal section. Based on the pacing issue that you describe, I have to assume that you're doing too much work "in your head" - and that is costing you a LOT of time since you end up having to reread and reread and reread portions of each question (on SCs, RCs and CRs). Thus, it might be that changing your 'process' a bit might solve all of these issues. The question is whether you can commit the next few weeks to consciously changing your approach or not.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing, Sustainability
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
I think I saw the note-taking video on Youtube. Yes I believe thats the case with my SC. I do take single line summary notes for each RC para. I rewrite PREMISE --> Conclusion logic in CR. Strategic note taking on SC may be the key. Havent practiced much OG material and thats my focus now. Will report back for sure.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
origen87 wrote:
My SC methodology:
1. Quickly sift through the choices, identify things like(which, where, Has vs have, verb+ing, pronouns etc.)-15-20 secs
2. Read and understand the original choice wrt the meaning and then eliminate (with the differences I found in the initial scan) a few choices.
3. Off the options left I re-read the un-underlined portion with the options at hand. (Here i take a lot of time to zero in on the answer).

Hi Sharath, should it not be step 2 first (understand the original choice wrt the meaning) and then step 1?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
vismadeb wrote:
I think I saw the note-taking video on Youtube. Yes I believe thats the case with my SC. I do take single line summary notes for each RC para. I rewrite PREMISE --> Conclusion logic in CR. Strategic note taking on SC may be the key. Havent practiced much OG material and thats my focus now. Will report back for sure.

vismadeb

I believe notes are required for RC, because it helps us stick to the passage. CR and SC I do not think so.

EducationAisle
Yes, it ideally should be meaning first, but quickly going through the options(in say 10 secs) direct me to possible errors in the first read.
I am still trying different methods to improve my SC.
GMAT Club Bot