Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 13:18 It is currently 06 May 2024, 13:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Profile Review & Suggestion Help Please !! :) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
RicAssassin wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
RicAssassin wrote:
Hi Jon!

I really am jumping the gun here but I want to start early and be prepared for any contingency plans (if needed) :-D

INDIAN/24/MALE (Disclaimer: Please don't be mad but I am still to take the GMAT. Target is MINIMUM 750+ cause that is the least survival score for someone like me I know but call it a 730 for sake)

Education: B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering from a non-IIT State funded autonomous university (Number 1 in my state, above NIT). Also, if this counts 1 of my seniors (3 years) from Mechanical made it to GSB (FULL RIDE!) this year although he did a master's in Politics in India before he got GSB. Another IT guy with 6 years experience got into Wharton (Hey! Not basking in their success but just telling if its a little chance that I atleast have the pedigree factor there?)

Grades: 7.6/10 (Its tough at my uni!!) Ahemmm... but I was a great student and school and EC too was over the top lol

Work-ex:
1) Semester Intern at Thermal Power Plant.
2) 6 months job as an Engineer Trainee at Johnson Controls-Hitachi.
3) Switched to a very coveted job for any Indian Mechie: The largest automobile manufacturer of the country (Maruti Suzuki) and now working as a Territory Manager (will get to Assistant Manager by the end of year). Again, A lot of my ex-colleagues from Maruti Suzuki make it to Top 15 every year so I assume it has some name atleast even though its not a feeder (Please do correct me if am wrong here).

EC:
1) I play guitar and sing. I have performed solo gigs all over North and Central India and won awards for a good 1.5 years before I got into the Indian startup ecosystem.
2) I love to read and I can cook just about anything!
3) STARTUPS: I won a couple of National and even one International Business Model Competition beating teams from all over the continent including IITs and IIMs but the business couldn't take off. Helped an Edinburgh University professor set up a Not for profit here in India for helping startups. Althugh I didn't hold the founder Title I was the city and state manager and head of content for 2 years straight, I left it then for work commitments. (I got quoted by many national and business newspapers for my effort on integrating the Indian startup ecosystem). I also cofounded a boutique consulting firm for new startups to help them take off, made some revenue as a studentpreneur but it was failing as we were bootstrapped. So again left it cause I signed up for the job.
My entrepreneurial streak has not gone but for some familial conditions I needed this job for sometime and it pays one of the best pay packages for this profile.
I have a product idea in mind and thinking of designing and Patenting it too.

I have not done much EC in the past one year, just traveled and hitch hiked, solo tripping. I am a good speaker too so thinking of joining Toastmasters, have an invite already.

WHY MBA? I guess it is getting clear now yeah? After being a failed entrepreneur and having managerial roles at a big firm, I now want to dive in for what I had always wanted. And that is why I need it, for the network and the exposure.

Okay, the BIG CATCH? I am a die hard GSB Fan. I just do not know how to crack the Top 5. I just want to. People tell me its impossible but NO!
PS: My elder sibling made it to a top 20 this year with a 50% scholarship.

Please advise me on what to do next and how to do it. I'd be obliged :)
When time comes, I want to take up your professional help as a client.

Thanks for reading the long post!!

Hey Ric!

Well, one thing is for sure is that you are a very determined guy! :) I like that a lot. And the AdComs too!

So, GMAT, yeah... you know about that, and no need to dwell on it, but juuust to emphasize how important that is, (and scare yourself a wee bit) have a read here: https://admissionado.com/mba/3-tips-for- ... n=mba_blog

Other than that, GSB... tough target! And you do have some good examples (although tbh, knowing GSB and their profile, the politics definitely did help), but anyhow you will make a strategy that is balanced and based on your GMAT as well as applying to GSB.

The real question, outside the GMAT is: what ELSE can you do NOW to improve your profile. So I think a few major things:
- Obviously continue to do well at work. If you can volunteer for any more leadership/mentoring/training, go fir it! And if you can get promoted... well.... :)
- More volunteer work! Especially LEADERSHIP or FUNDRAISING. You want to do as much impressive stuff as humanly possible. And have leadership all over the board.
- More ECs - like above, if there are activities in which you are required to lead, they are stronger and more preferential than the others.
- Anything else you can in entrepreneurial projects. You have some good basis, but if any opportunities pop up (and you still have time ;).... you may want to pursue these)

Anyhow, first and foremost: the GMAT: Go attack that, and I wish you the best of luck!

Let me know if you have any other questions,
Best,
Jon

Thank you so much Jon for your prompt reply. I would just like ONE more confirmation.

I have just passed out of Engineering in like Jul 2016. A lot of people tell me this is too soon (And it probably is). I have even switched from a trainee role at a Fortune 500 to a Territory Manager role at Suzuki. I have a promotion due by year end, Assistant Manager. But then, I know I have a lot of time.
Yeah, Yeah, I know GMAT, the big G. I need to literally KILL it to make my chances. And then I can drive full on to develop my profile a lot more.

I just wanted to ask, BE BLUNT. Should I even dream of what I am targeting or is it like totally off the charts? I know HBS only wants IITians so am not sure. GSB is a little forgiving to failures like myself. Just tell me whatever it is that you think? I'd appreciate.

Is this the right time to get your free consultation service at least, that way I can get some real time feedback from you and the discussion can be more fruitful, and when the right time comes I can come back to you with a BANG ON GMAT. I know its hard, GSB, But I am ready to be relentless. That is what I have been when I started up and everyone tried to crush me.

Please let me know what you think about that. And when should I send you my Resume.

Thanks in ANTICIPATION!

REGARDS,
RIC_ASSASSIN

Ric,
Yes, now is actually the BEST time to start. It won't be time intensive, but you do know your goals and what you want, and a little bit of advice and help along the way can go very far.

Why not drop by our website?

Here is our Advanced Planning Package: https://admissionado.com/mba/mba-advance ... n=mba_blog

And that's probably the thing for you.

Best,
Jon
Moderator:
Admissionado
9228 posts