Last visit was: 22 May 2024, 21:47 It is currently 22 May 2024, 21:47
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5435 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11691 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Is it better to practice with the book or the online practice sets? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Fabel,

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4685 [1]
Given Kudos: 639
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Is it better to practice with the book or the online practice sets? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Fabel wrote:
Hi all,
after successfully taking the Toefl, I am now starting my GMAT preparation. diagnostic test of the OG showed me, that repeating some mathematical concepts should be a mandatory part of my preparation. So, I bought the Manhattan Math Foundation book. The whole topic is pretty new to me and I do not really know what to do after that. My personal idea is to start with the Quant questions in the OG. However, I am not sure how to do that correctly.
Do you think it is better to go through all of them in the book one by one or should I rather use the online question bank with the possibility of going through the questions in a random order?
After that I want to focus on the Verbal part by practicing the questions in the OG. I also have the OG Quant and Verbal Review, that I would use for some more studying after going through the whole OG.
If you have any ideas on how I can improve my “study plan”, I would be pleased to hear them.
Thank you very much for your advice!
Kind regards
It'd be a great idea to go through the OG questions in the sequence in which they're given (the questions are not presented in a truly random order). You can do the same thing online. Select the "easy" questions to begin with, followed by the "medium" and then the "hard" questions. The order within each difficulty level isn't given, but that doesn't make much of a difference.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Is it better to practice with the book or the online practice sets? [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Fabel,

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

Rich

Hi Rich,

thank you very much for the well structured advice!
I have just taken my first CAT test and these are the results:

Quant: Scaled Score: 36 Percentile: 40
Verbal: Scaled Score: 38 Percentile: 84
Integrated Reasoning: Scaled Score: 7 Percentile: 81
Total: Scaled Score: 620 Percentile: 69

I took the test in the order: Quant, Verbal, IR, AW because I know that Quant is my biggest weakness and wanted to do it first. To be honest I did not write the essay because I was to curious about the score. But I saved the task for later.

In Quant I had 19 questions incorrect, in Verbal 10 an in IR 5.

I guess one of my biggest mistakes was my time management. I finished quant with 10 minutes left and verbal with 15. However, I ran out of time in IR and was unable to answer the last 2 questions. My biggest weakness is obviously math.

I want to take GMAT at the end to October. I will finish my Bachelor in 2 weeks and my current job will and at the same date (it was a dual degree). This means that I can focus completely on my GMAT preperation after that. I want to start with my applications in December and meet the first deadlines of the schools that start their application process in the next year. In November I will start an internship and since I have to move for that, I want to take GMAT before that date.

My goal score before today was 600+. I guess, the higher the better, but 600 is my "minimum" score. I read that the CAT should be a very good indicator for the real GMAT, so I hope that a good preperation enables me to score maybe even a little higher (650+). I definetly want to improve my score in the quant section.

By now (1 week of preperation) I already read the introductions to the sections in the OG (except IR) and did the first 16 questions in every section (except IR). I created an error log (excel) to track my wrong answers and review them. Beforehand I took the diagnostic test and tried to review my answers. I also bought the Manhattan Math Foundations and read the first two chapters. Furthermore, I read the math introduction in the OG. I also began learning some math terms and basic things with the Magoos Flash Cards since English is not my first language. I also have the additional Quant and Verbal books from GMAC.

If you have any further advice or comments, please let me know.
Thank you in advance!
Fabi
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11691 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Fabel,

To start, a 620 is a really strong initial CAT score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). In addition, since your Verbal Scaled Score was so high, if you could hone the necessary Quant skills (math knowledge and Tactical skills), I think that you have a very good change to score in the 700s. Considering your original Score goal, I'd like to know a bit more about your plans:

1) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
2) What is the average GMAT Score for incoming classes at those Programs?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,

that sounds encouraging, thank you!

Well, I want to study a Master in Managment next year. I would prefer a european country outside Germany. I hold a Bachelor Degree in Banking & Finance (completely in german) with a solid GPA (should be something around 3.3-3.5 converted). The biggest problem is that my university is a pivate one and the reputation in Germany is not that good among other universities and business schools, since it is not hard to get accepted or to get your degree. I guess nobody knows the university outside germany. On the plus side, my degree was a dual one and I have nearly 3 years of professional work experience in a german mid-sized bank focused on corporate finance in the german mid-sized sector (I am 21 years old). I will start an internship in the consulting sector at the end of this year.
The list of possible business schools is pretty long right now since I do not think that I can be too selective with my profile. Nevertheless, I would like to get into a business school with at least a good reputation. Some of them do not need a GMAT, others have an average and others have a minimum score. The best one has an average of 720 points. The more realistic ones start with minimum scores of 550 points and go up to a supporting score of 650+.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11691 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Fabel,

Given your timeline and goals, you have some 'wiggle room' in terms of how you could proceed with your studies. Based on this starting score, you might be fine self-studying with some books and miscellaneous materials (so you don't necessarily need a really structured study plan). Since you already have some study materials, I suggest that you study as you see fit for the next 1-2 weeks, then take a new, FULL-LENGTH CAT. Once we have that score, we'll be better able to define how well your studies are going and discuss any adjustments that you might make.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot