Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 07:00 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [9]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7777 [6]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [1]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: The Great Blizzard of 1888 cut off many telegraph and railroad links [#permalink]
Kudos
abansal1805 wrote:
The Great Blizzard of 1888 cut off many telegraph and railroad links in the northeastern United States, and is still remembered for its striking features: the unseasonably warm and rainy weather that preceded it, the sustained winds that created snowdrifts more than 50 feet tall, and prodigious snowfall was measured at over 50 inches in New England.

A. the sustained winds that created snowdrifts more than 50 feet tall, and prodigious snowfall was measured at over 50 inches in New England.

B. the sustained winds created snowdrifts more than 50 feet tall, and in New England the prodigious snowfall was measured at over 50 inches

C. the sustained winds that created snowdrifts more than 50 feet tall, and the prodigious snowfall measured at over 50 inches in New England

D. snowdrifts were created more than 50 feet tall by the sustained winds, in New England the prodigious snowfall measures at over 50 inches

E. snowdrifts which were created more than 50 feet tall by the sustained winds, and prodigious snowfall that was measured at over 50 inches in New England

The answer is C
Meaning there is a list of events feature and those feature must be parallel .
Split 1

We have one feature and it effect right next to the word "that " , so we have to follow this structure throughout .
Split 2
We must have only a verb-ed participle in the last feature to maintain parallelism

and the prodigious snowfall measured at over 50 inches in New England

Split 3

D and E changes structure
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [1]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
The Great Blizzard of 1888 cut off many telegraph and railroad links [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi egmat

the sustained winds that created snowdrifts more than 50 feet tall, and the prodigious snowfall measured at over 50 inches in New England

I have questions about Option C
1) Is article "the" absolutely necessary
2) Is C absolutely parallel as it does not use that before measured.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [1]
Send PM
Re: The Great Blizzard of 1888 cut off many telegraph and railroad links [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi arvind910619,
Thank you for your response.

I was confused between Option B and Option C.
If the prepositional phrase "in New England" were to be placed at the end of the sentence, as in Option C, it suggests that all these events occurred in New England.

However, in Option B,
The prodigious snowfall over 50 inches was a unique event just in New England, along with other events happening throughout the northeastern United States.

Option B seems to make more sense to me. Kindly let me know what if this is a correct way to reason this question.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7777 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos