Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 09:25 It is currently 08 May 2024, 09:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 740 [17]
Given Kudos: 246
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 740 [0]
Given Kudos: 246
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 404 [2]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Re: Located in the vast Atlantic Ocean, about seven miles off the coast of [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO D
D uses perfect past tense. The act of visiting by Europeans had not been by Europeans before the sixteenth century.So ' rarely had been ' should come.This is clearly reflected by option D.Please give me kudos. I need them badly.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Re: Located in the vast Atlantic Ocean, about seven miles off the coast of [#permalink]
Kudos
D because :
1. Uses past perfect tense to define a sequential activity.
2. Correct modifier usage.
3. 'Which' rightly justifies the noun immediately before it.

Sent from my Micromax E481 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
Narrowed down to C and D,,,,
can experts pitch in please,,,,
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35533 [0]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Located in the vast Atlantic Ocean, about seven miles off the coast of [#permalink]
Expert Reply
haardiksharma wrote:
Located in the vast Atlantic Ocean, about seven miles off the coast of Venezuela, is a small but fertile island that had retained from the period of its first discovery the name of Trinidad, and though picturesque, has rarely been visited by Europeans until the sixteenth century.

A. is a small but fertile island that had retained from the period of its first discovery the name of Trinidad, and though picturesque, has rarely been
B. was the small but fertile island of Trinidad, which retained its name from the period when it had first been discovered, and though picturesque, it had rarely been
C. Trinidad is a small but fertile island that retains its name from the period of its first discovery, and though picturesque, has rarely been
D. is a small but fertile island, which has retained from the period of its first discovery the name of Trinidad, and though picturesque, had rarely been
E. the small but fertile island of Trinidad, retaining its name from the period of its first discovery, though picturesque, rarely

haardiksharma , what is the source of this question? Please send me the source via PM? :)
Senior SC Moderator
Send PM
Located in the vast Atlantic Ocean, about seven miles off the coast of [#permalink]
Expert Reply
haardiksharma wrote:
Located in the vast Atlantic Ocean, about seven miles off the coast of Venezuela, is a small but fertile island that had retained from the period of its first discovery the name of Trinidad, and though picturesque, has rarely been visited by Europeans until the sixteenth century.

A. is a small but fertile island that had retained from the period of its first discovery the name of Trinidad, and though picturesque, has rarely been
-- has rarely been visited UNTIL the sixteenth century?
-- "has rarely been" refers to the recent and ongoing past, not 500 years ago.
Correct: The island has rarely been visited for the last 20 years. (recent past)
Correct: The island had rarely been visited by Europeans until 500 years ago, just a short while after they discovered it.
-- past perfect = past of the past and requires
one event rendered in simple past (discovered) OR
a time marker of some sort that points to a particular moment in time in the past

B. was the small but fertile island of Trinidad, which retained its name from the period when it had first been discovered, and though picturesque, it had rarely been
-- nothing suggests that this island no longer exists

C. Trinidad is a small but fertile island that retains its name from the period of its first discovery, and though picturesque, has rarely been
-- same problem as that in A

D. is a small but fertile island, which has retained from the period of its first discovery the name of Trinidad, and though picturesque, had rarely been
-- the best of a horrible lot of 5, but still flawed.
-- no reason exists to place the prepositional phrase between the verb and its object

E. the small but fertile island of Trinidad, retaining its name from the period of its first discovery, though picturesque, rarely
-- comma splice, visited modifies discovery (maybe), no verb in what should be a clause at the end (I think - what a mess)

Responding to a PM
shweta5 , mohshu , and haardiksharma , this sentence is of such poor quality that I have locked and I will archive it.

I have marked one error in each option, though every option except (D) contains many errors.

If I tried to explain the errors in these options I would be typing for at least an hour—and for no reason because this sentence does not resemble a GMAT question.

Non-official questions vary in quality. This one is really awful.

Only (D) comes somewhat close to making sense, but
(1) its insertion of from the period of its discovery between "retains" and "the name of Trinidad" is unnecessary and unnatural. We do not separate verbs from their objects for no reason at all, and adverbs of time are placed near the end of a phrase.

(2) even if the poorly placed prepositional phrase is moved, the phrasing of the sentence is unnatural, unidiomatic, awkward, and rhetorically ineffective.

I will lock and archive this question.
Please do not waste your energy or time worrying about it.
Senior SC Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
This question is of poor quality. IT IS LOCKED and will be archived and retired permanently.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts