Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 06:51 It is currently 23 May 2024, 06:51
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [0]
Given Kudos: 608
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65439 [0]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: SVA Doubt [#permalink]
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
KS15 wrote:
A string of terrorist attackshave hit the sparsely populated province since 2013

This was there in one of the reputed news publications today. My question is -should it not be 'A string of attacks' HAS?

Another sentence from WSJ.Experts-please help

Retail stocks have been rallying, partly because investors were a little too dour heading into this month, but also because it does seem that storeslike Wal-Mart, with its combination of e-commerce and brick-and-mortar offerings, are figuring out how to punch back against the online juggernaut

GMATNinja
chetan2u
GMATninja2
GMATNinja
mikemcgarry
VeritasPrepKarishma
daagh
Anyone-

Yes, "a string of attacks" does take "has".

Also, "like" is used to give an example in the second sentence. Though, strictly speaking, the sentence should have used "such as", but the use of "like" to give examples has become so common that it is somewhat acceptable. For GMAT though, we would like to see "such as" until and unless nothing else makes sense.

VeritasPrepKarishma: I have 2 questions
1. In sentence one, I understand that we use 'has' as per GMAT, are we saying that WSJ is incorrect or the use of 'have' is justified by 'attacks'?
2. In sentence two, is it safe to say that 'like' should not be used to eliminate splits on SC in the real GMAT?. Also, if you see the sentence lacks parallelism-so is WSJ not a publication to read with respect to studying for the GMAT?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28670 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
KS15 wrote:
A string of terrorist attackshave hit the sparsely populated province since 2013

This was there in one of the reputed news publications today. My question is -should it not be 'A string of attacks' HAS?

Retail stocks have been rallying, partly because investors were a little too dour heading into this month, but also because it does seem that storeslike Wal-Mart, with its combination of e-commerce and brick-and-mortar offerings, are figuring out how to punch back against the online juggernaut

Dear KS15,

I see a few other experts have responded. I'll add my two cents here. :-)

For any newspaper, there is a trade-off. One the one hand, there's a kind of traditional emphasis on high quality writing, which of course would include excellent grammar. On the other hand, there's the need to make money and embrace a broad readership. Unfortunately, excellent grammar is actually a put-off to the vast majority of Americans, most of whom are woefully undereducated. Thus, the more a newspaper wants to make money and expand its readership, the more its grammatical standards plummet.

For years, the Wall Street Journal was a highly esteemed newspaper, holding a high standard of writing quality as well as a high standard of journalistic impartiality. Much of this changed in 2007, when the WSJ was subsumed into Rupert Murdoch's empire, which includes the FOX News channel. Now, the newspaper, like FOX News, is unabashedly highly conservative and complete dismissively of any liberal positions. A fascination with the high points of grammar is generally associated with academic, which the far right often paints as the liberal elite, so as part of this 2007 shift, the grammatical standards of the paper have plummeted. Of course, not all the grammar is bad, but the paper is no longer an exemplar to which non-natives should aspire. All this is my understanding of the politics and economics of the situation.

In short, don't depend on the WSJ for GMAT SC standards of grammar. The NY Times, the Economist Magazine, and the Financial Times are still well respected, although even these face the tradeoff mentioned above.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65439 [0]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Expert Reply
KS15 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
KS15 wrote:

GMATNinja
chetan2u
GMATninja2
GMATNinja
mikemcgarry
VeritasPrepKarishma
daagh
Anyone-

Yes, "a string of attacks" does take "has".

Also, "like" is used to give an example in the second sentence. Though, strictly speaking, the sentence should have used "such as", but the use of "like" to give examples has become so common that it is somewhat acceptable. For GMAT though, we would like to see "such as" until and unless nothing else makes sense.

VeritasPrepKarishma: I have 2 questions
1. In sentence one, I understand that we use 'has' as per GMAT, are we saying that WSJ is incorrect or the use of 'have' is justified by 'attacks'?
2. In sentence two, is it safe to say that 'like' should not be used to eliminate splits on SC in the real GMAT?. Also, if you see the sentence lacks parallelism-so is WSJ not a publication to read with respect to studying for the GMAT?

You have brought forward an interesting discussion - errors in leading newspapers are not that uncommon. Check this post - the NY Times' annual review of its own grammar mistakes:
https://afterdeadline.blogs.nytimes.com ... romEmail=1

Check out the "like' vs "such as" discussion on the NY Times blog:
https://afterdeadline.blogs.nytimes.com ... -on-style/

All in all, use of have is not justified. Use of like, I would like to challenge but it may not be a deal-breaker.
Director
Director
Send PM
Thank you for sharing this. Some of my questions now are.

1. So, how do we eliminate if 'like' and 'such as ' are the only splits in the sentence? Which one will be correct? Like or such as for examples
2. Also, in 'A string of attacks' don't you think 'attacks' have hit and hence we need have and not the string which has hit
3. In the NYT link that you shared, article also talks about 'None' and how it can be used in the plural sense-your thoughts on this.

All in all, after looking at these things, it seems like no newspaper can be regarded as the gold standard when it comes to GMATPrep. I am surprised how has GMAC designed its curriculum then. It becomes very difficult for non natives when there is no standard material to refer. Different US newspapers follow different styles and variations.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6936 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14034 posts