Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 23:51 It is currently 06 May 2024, 23:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: Harvard University
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Seeking a profile evaluation [#permalink]
BrazilianPhD wrote:
Well, I know nothing about Mannheim and CAT. But the rest of your profile does not seem extraordinary for a PhD applicant.

Things like work experience, running a business, and international experience are usually irrelevant for PhD. Your grades do not seem that great. It looks like the only thing you have to show as research experience is your master thesis, but that's something virtually all applicants have too.

When applying to a PhD program, you want to show extraordinary potential to do research. I don't see that in the information you provided.

As MBAIvy said, if you had publications, then the situation would be different. Because then you would have proof that you are good enough as a researcher to get your work published, and very few applicants have that.

Another thing that can help is if you have very strong letters of recommendations from professors who are well-known in your field, specially if those professors are known by the faculty of Mannheim. By the way, applying to only one university is really strange for PhD.

Thank you for the frank assessment.

My GPAs are skewed due to how they are translated, I have a lot of marks that are capped at 4.0 when they are mid to high 70s. This means that when translated it doesn't provide a fair evaluation but it is a non-point as they will look at my transcripts and see that. I am only applying to Mannheim because I want to live in Baden-Wurttemberg, due to the way my business is run whilst I can afford to self study it would financially cripple me in the short run meaning I would have to wait until 2019 to start. Mannheim offers a stipend for the first year which will allow me to sort out my financial affairs in a non destructive manner. Is not a case of I am fixated on this particular university but more its the only university in the state that offered a stipend. I don't want to be approaching 30 with little to none experience in what I want to do with my life.

Shaun
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Ok. Well, you can try, but even with a great profile the probability of getting accepted when applying to only one university is really low.

I checked Mannheim's website, it seems that in 2017 it got 19 students for 7 programs. That seems to mean that each program, like Management, would have about 2 or 3 students each year, the same numbers I've seen here in the US.

With the information you have provided here, I don't think Mannheim will have trouble finding 2 or 3 applicants with profiles stronger than yours. And sometimes you are not really competing for 2 or 3 spots, because each program has different divisions. In my field, for example, the expectation is 2 new students for the Marketing PhD program each year, being 1 in consumer behavior and 1 in quantitative marketing. You really have to be among the best of the best, because they accept only 1 for a given research interest.

If you really want to go for a PhD, I suggest trying to strengthen your profile first and maybe try next year. Get a great GMAT score, get some research experience, then maybe you have a fighting chance.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4410 posts