Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 20:51 It is currently 05 May 2024, 20:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4666 [1]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11674 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2855 [2]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: 620 GMAT Q42 V33 - Second exam in 21 days [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
cafj85 wrote:
Dear GMAT Aficionados,

I took my GMAT for the first time yesterday scoring a 620 Q42 V33. I need to score around a 680 to have a good shot at some of the schools I have in mind and I'm taking the exam again on January 3rd.

I've studied for about 80 hours on and off (began in August with the MGMAT foundations of math). I have all of the Manhattan books but only finished (skimmed through is more like it) Number properties, Word Problems, Reading Comprehension and Sentence Correction.

took two practice exams:

October 9th - Official GMAT Prep 560 Q34 V33 (I had only done MGMAT Foundations of math till this point)

November 26th MGMAT 550 Q35 V31 (had finished MGMAT Number properties and Reading Comprehension)

What do you recommend I do? What would be the best ROI in my case? I was always great at math getting higher than 90% in my classes but I am 32 and it's been more than 15 years since I saw a lot of these subjects on a daily basis. I can study for about 6 hours on weekdays and more than that on weekends.

Thank you!

If you have follow up questions I'll be glad to answer them.

Hi cafj85,

Your choice of using MGMAT guides for your preparation is great. MGMAT guides are phenomenal and cover the entire syllabus really well. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in "uant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

For Verbal, given how close your GMAT date is, I personally do not think one should adopt any new method on the final leg of their GMAT Preparation. If you want to improve on any individual area such as Sentence Correction, you may subscribe to E-gmat individual SC course as you can finish the whole course in 10 days (with proper dedication). If however you are only looking to identify and improve on your weak areas, I would encourage you to purchase the e-gmat scholaranium. It is without a doubt, one of the best practice tools for verbal and will indeed help you on the final leg of your preparations.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have a good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

Hope this helps. All the best.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi cafj85,

With a 620, you're closer to a 680 than you probably realize - and you could pick up all of the missing points that you're looking for in just the Quant, just the Verbal or a 'mix' of the two. That having been said, you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle at least one (or both) of those two sections. A January 3rd Test Date gives you about 3 weeks of study time remaining, but that may or may not be enough time to hone the necessary skills and score higher.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) Have you used any other study materials besides the books that you mentioned?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Thank you for replying Rich.

1) Have you used any other study materials besides the books that you mentioned? I used the geometry mgmat book two days before the exam. I also have the gmat club math book but I've gone through less than 20% of it. I've also gone through some of the OG problems the mgmat guides suggest.
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School? Round two, which is why I chose Jan 3rd to retake my exam.
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to? For sure Tuck,Duke, Cornell, Kellogg, Kelley, WP Carey (ASU) and Johns Hopkins as I have application waivers from them. I also don't want to wait until third round because $ is important for me unfortunately. I am a Fulbright scholarship alternate candidate and in my country, the agency that awards the scholarship has sent 100% of alternate candidates who end up accepting the past five years.

Just so you don't get an idea I am lazy, the reason for putting studying behind was work. Since March I've been working non stop on one of the most ambitious project my office has ever embarked on and it has been gratifying but it has also taken way too much time.

Thank you!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11674 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi cafj85,

With your limited timeframe, you're not going to be able to hone every possible Quant and Verbal skill, so it would make the most sense for you to try to 'maximize' one of those Scaled Scores while doing enough work to maintain your skills in the other. Thus, you have to define whether the Quant or Verbal makes you more 'comfortable' or seems easier/more approachable.

As something to consider, many Business Schools view an Applicant's Quant Scaled Score as an indicator of how that Applicant might handle the 'academic side' of the Program - and a Q42 won't impress anyone (although it won't necessarily keep you out of consideration either). This is meant to say that by focusing on Quant Tactics, you'll be better able to increase your GMAT Score AND how Business School Admissions Officers will view your potential to handle the Program.

Once you define which section you'd like to focus on, we can discuss how best to proceed.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Guys,

I took my second exam Jan. 3rd with a 670 result, Q46 V36. For the time being I will not take another exam and have been sending out round 2 applications. I still feel there is a lot of improvement to be made in Quant, I think a 48 or 49 are realistic scores and verbal as well as I studied less than 30 total hours of verbal from when I began studying.

I finished the Manhattan books I had pending while reviewing other material. Between my first and second exam I did an additional 40 hours tops of studying.

Thank you for your advice!
GMAT Club Bot