Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:19 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
Send PM
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [1]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [1]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Re: Vanderbilt Owen vs Kenan Flagler healthcare employment [#permalink]
Kudos
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
reach out to the school's career office for additional guidance on what they are seeing for international students.

^
Do this.

Also, try and speak to current international students if you can find them. (LinkedIn may be your best friend for this.)

I would love to be able to offer more help but I do not know a lot about Healthcare recruiting nor how international students are faring at either program at the moment. I would just say that the programs are both solid options but Nashville is hella cooler than Chapel Hill. :cool:

Good luck with the decision!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Vanderbilt Owen vs Kenan Flagler healthcare employment [#permalink]
Thank you everyone for the amazing suggestions. I agree with you Teleste on Nashville being a lot more happening place. Have visited both the campuses. But as an international candidate there is so much at stake that it's hard to focus on the location.

Mo2men, you are absolutely right on how negligible the difference is. In fact the figures are mirror images in terms of salary and bonus, with Vanderbilt performing better in healthcare consulting. This makes it even more confusing, as I still haven't ruled out healthcare consulting. But UNC performs better when it comes to pharmaceuticals in terms of number of recruiters. Another thing which worries me about UNC is the falling/stagnant percentage of international students receiving job offers after 3 months, on the contrary I see it improving for Owen( better than UNC for 2017). But, again I am more concerned with medical devices. So is it more to do with finding the right/interested candidate than about school reputation?

VeritasPrepDozie, did that but not much came out of it. In fact, I have interacted with a considerable number of alumni from both the schools via LinkedIn, and surprisingly none has advocated one school over the other. Two UNC alumni went to the extent of saying that they were unhappy with the healthcare recruitment at UNC for international candidates and would prefer Kelley/Owen if given chance back in time. This was surprising as both are placed well, but none credited the school for help but criticized it for a poor career management centre.

Originally posted by Maupassant9 on 19 Jan 2018, 23:28.
Last edited by Maupassant9 on 20 Jan 2018, 07:01, edited 1 time in total.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Send PM
teleste wrote:
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
reach out to the school's career office for additional guidance on what they are seeing for international students.

^
Do this.

Also, try and speak to current international students if you can find them. (LinkedIn may be your best friend for this.)

I would love to be able to offer more help but I do not know a lot about Healthcare recruiting nor how international students are faring at either program at the moment. I would just say that the programs are both solid options but Nashville is hella cooler than Chapel Hill. :cool:

Good luck with the decision!

Hi teleste

I discovered something very unusual. Does Vandy accept as student with 47 years old??

https://business.vanderbilt.edu/mba/class-profile/

I think is unprecedented. Or maybe it is a typo it is 37.

Do you have high age in your class like that?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Send PM
Vanderbilt Owen vs Kenan Flagler healthcare employment [#permalink]
I'll put the figures down and explain my dilemma.
Owen: Median base salary(2016)- 110,000; couldn't find data for internationals
(2017)- 110,000 and 120,000(international candidates)
Healthcare base salary(2017)- 110,000 with 16% students going for healthcare jobs.
Consulting base salary by industry(2017)- 135,000 with 18% students
Healthcare consulting base salary(2017)- 128,000 with 4% students.

International student receiving offers within 3 months of graduation- 90%.
Top healthcare recruiters: Davita, HCA, Genentech, Medtronic, J&J, Cardinal health. (But none recruited internationals)

Kenan Flagler: Median base salary(2016)- 110,000; couldn't find data for internationals
(2017)- 110,000 No data for international candidates
Healthcare base salary(2017)- 110,000 with 15% students going for healthcare jobs.
consulting base salary by industry(2017)- 120,000 with 12%(no details on healthcare consulting)
International student receiving offers within 3 months of graduation- 88%.
Top healthcare recruiters: Amgen, Boston Scientific, Ecolab, Eli Lilly, Genentech, J & J, Zimmer biomet.
( All recruited internationals)

https://www.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/~/medi ... .pdf?la=en
https://issuu.com/vanderbiltowen/docs/o ... emp-report
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Maupassant9 wrote:
I'll put the figures down and explain my dilemma.
Owen: Median base salary(2016)- 110,000; couldn't find data for internationals
(2017)- 110,000 and 120,000(international candidates)
Healthcare base salary(2017)- 110,000 with 16% students going for healthcare jobs.
Consulting base salary by industry(2017)- 135,000 with 18% students
Healthcare consulting base salary(2017)- 128,000 with 4% students.

International student receiving offers within 3 months of graduation- 90%.
Top healthcare recruiters: Davita, HCA, Genentech, Medtronic, J&J, Cardinal health. (But none recruited internationals)

Kenan Flagler: Median base salary(2016)- 110,000; couldn't find data for internationals
(2017)- 110,000 No data for international candidates
Healthcare base salary(2017)- 110,000 with 15% students going for healthcare jobs.
consulting base salary by industry(2017)- 120,000 with 12%(no details on healthcare consulting)
International student receiving offers within 3 months of graduation- 88%.
Top healthcare recruiters: Amgen, Boston Scientific, Ecolab, Eli Lilly, Genentech, J & J, Zimmer biomet.
( All recruited internationals)

https://www.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/~/medi ... .pdf?la=en
https://issuu.com/vanderbiltowen/docs/o ... emp-report

This is why we all in this post ask you to contact international students in those schools to grasp real situation. For example, I was in contact with international students in Kellogg who was rejected from Ecolab becuase they do not hire internationals now, although they hired (and he knows) internationals in previous years. So it might be change becasue of the climate.

For KF, I think it is good percentage for internationals in light of the massive reform of the career service office. Most of the team changed including the director.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank You Mo2Men. Appreciate your patience and help.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [1]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM