Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 08:44 It is currently 07 May 2024, 08:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6326 [0]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11674 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 600 Q50 V23
GPA: 3.13
Send PM
Re: First GMAT try, need some help and advices [#permalink]
Hey, bro,
Your Verbal score is amazing and you should be proud of it as a first attempt. I wish we could combine our scores :) (Mine was Q50, V23)

To improve quant scores, you really need to practice a lot of quant questions and make sure you always mark down the questions you have problems with so that you can review the questions later.

While reviewing Quant questions, you need to abstract strategies. Sometimes, there are many questions we don't even know where to start. For example, what is value of A-B? The answer or the format of the given numbers may not be obvious. In this case, I always train myself to think A-B in (√A + √B)(√A-√B) whenever I see a "-" sign. This kind of muscle memories helped me a lot in quant sessions.

How do you gain more muscle memories? As mentioned above, you need to practice a lot of quant questions and keep abstracting strategies from solutions, so it becomes natural to you.

IMO, Quant is a lot easier to improve compared to Verbal, because the beauty of math is that you only have one answer to each question. However, the answers in Verbal session just seem a lot more fuzzy to me :)

I wish you good luck!

Yifu
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

Rich thank you for your reply, see below my answers:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?

Yes, I did, even though I had not a clear strategy on the section selection.
Sometimes I started with Quant, and on other Mock I started with Verbal.

2) Did you take them at home?

Yes, I took all my test at home.

3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?

I took my last two mocks at the same time of the exam. However, I took the others tests on different times.

4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?

I took longer break during my first mock but on the last two CAT I have tried to take the test on "real conditions"

5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)?

It happened sometimes but no more than 2 or 3 questions.

If you have other questions, do not hesitate,

Thank you Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi yifuqiao,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am building memory by training again and again. I think now it's time for me to take this week off and go again on Monday.

Don't give up, I am pretty sure that we will get our desired score, if other people did it, we will do it.
Whatever it takes.

Have a good day.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi mehmet56600,

From your prior post, there were some 'red flags' in terms of how you took your CATs. Before we discuss those issues, I have a few additional questions about the lead-up to Test Day and Test Day itself:

1) What did you do in the 3 days before your GMAT?
2) How did you sleep the night before your Test?
3) How long was the ride to the Test Center from your home?
4) Were there any distractions at the facility or during the Test?
5) What did you do during the two 8-minute breaks?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
1) What did you do in the 3 days before your GMAT?

I did not study that much to be honest, I had a 90 Hrs week at work

2) How did you sleep the night before your Test?

I slept really well

3) How long was the ride to the Test Center from your home?

I had to take the train from Luxembourg to Paris, it's about 1h45 minutes.

4) Were there any distractions at the facility or during the Test?

Some back and forth from students and people of the test center

5) What did you do during the two 8-minute breaks?

I ate a protein bar and put some water on my face as I was really pissed off about my mistakes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
First GMAT try, need some help and advices [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi mehmet56600,

While the bathroom situation you described likely hurt your performance, there are a number of other issues before Test Day that we have to address.

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your practice scores can become - and that's what happened here. By taking the CATs at home, taking them at different times of day, taking longer breaks, seeing 'repeat' questions etc., you weren't properly training for the FULL GMAT 'experience.'

Test Day involves a variety of really specific steps and parameters (including steps before the Test even begins - such as leaving your home, traveling, etc.). Every factor matters, including the psychological ones. Having to travel for almost 2 HOURS before your Exam would have impacted your energy levels and alertness - and I have to assume that you did not account for that travel when you took your CATs. In addition, seeing even a few 'repeat' questions during a CAT throws off the 'realism' of the experience as well as your pacing, stress and energy levels. Thus, going forward, you have to take NEW CATs (with questions that you have NOT seen before) and be more realistic about how you take your CATs.

Beyond that, I would not expect any Test Takers to perform at their best after coming off of a 90-hour work week. Most Test Takers perform at their best on a Monday morning AFTER having the weekend 'off' from work. A well-rested mind almost always performs at a higher level than one that is 'burned out' from too much work/activity.

Thankfully, these should all be relatively easy issues to address - now that you've taken the Official GMAT, you know the EXACT details of what happens on Test Day, so you can better train to mimic those details during your CATs. That having been said, raising a 580 to a 720+ will likely take at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
3) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC

Sorry for the late reply, I would like to thank you for your advice, looking back, I can see where I did some mistakes in my prep.

To answer your questions:

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

I would like to apply for round 1 in September 2018 to the schools of my list.

2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

I would like to apply to Columbia, Wharton, Booth, and INSEAD

3) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

I can devote 1-2 hours on weekdays and 4-6 hours in weekend, so if I take the lowest scale I will say 13 hours per week.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi mehmet56600,

You have plenty of time before this year's Round 1 application deadlines, but you'll need to be efficient with your studies going forward - so that you don't end up having to rush to take the GMAT, work on your applications, etc. several months down the road. There are enough factors that impacted your performance on Test Day that you might be able to 'fix' them all without having to change your study routine too much. This is all meant to say that you can decide whether you want to invest in any new study materials or not. I suggest that you study as you like for the next 2 weeks, then take a NEW, FULL-LENGTH CAT in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can discuss how best to proceed.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC,

I will follow your advices and let you know how it goes.

I agree that I have plenty of time, but I would like to get it done.

Thank you for your help Rich.

Have a good Sunday
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1996 [0]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Hi
Sorry to hear that your Gmat didn't go well. I see that you have gone through a number of courses and in my opinion that can be pretty confusing. I say this because each course will have separate tips and strategies and sometimes it may be difficult to choose which one is appropriate for you. Anyway, I think there are good reviews on Gmatclub about these courses and so there may be some gaps in your understanding or application of the strategies. I suggest to revise all the strategies and basics and then start solving OG questions in a timed way. Then you can take Gmatprep tests and know your current level. Hope it helps.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37403 posts