Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:25 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 387
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22062 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-03-2015
GPA: 3.8
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: 510 after 7 months of hard work! Expert Help needed Urgently! [#permalink]
Could you share your study methods for the test? What is your target score and please publish all your mock scores.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Pretz wrote:
Could you share your study methods for the test? What is your target score and please publish all your mock scores.

Thanks!

Sir, I have clearly published all my scores on the above thread. And about my study methods would you please elaborate?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sahilsnpt,

I've sent you a PM with some notes and suggestions based on your ESR.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22062 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
sahilsnpt wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
sahilsnpt wrote:
Hi ,
I wrote my test on 30th May, 2018. I got a mere 510. This is the biggest failure of my life. My self-confidence has been blown away and I don't have the strength to rise up again after working hard for 7 months. I don't know what to do now. I am targeting MiM programs for this October round 1. I have very less time. My test score was very hard to digest. After seeing the horrible score I cannot even dare to think about going abroad for studies. I think I am too dumb for it. My mock scores are:-
October 28, 2017 - 460(Q 27, V 28) without any studying.
After 4 months of study I gave MGMAT mocks
MGMAT 1 -- 570 (Q39, V30) April 1
MGMAT 2 -- 630 (Q39, V37) after a week
MGMAT 3 -- 540 MGMAT's server crashed for 4 hours after the verbal section. Date-- May 2
MGMAT 4 -- 600(Q36, V36) This time their server crashed again for 3 hours mid test ..I was frustrated as hell. Date-- May 8
MGMAT 5 -- 440(Q26, V28) I gave this test 10 days prior to my actual test in proper test-taking conditions. As you can see there was a massive score drop and I got demoralized for 2 days straight. I was shaking and feverish after I saw the score. Still, I resumed with my prep coz the date was approaching. I doubt that I didn't train my brain to work in test conditions thus hampering my mental stamina severely.

On the test day, I was not stressed much and I arrived at the center. My center was at Bhubaneswar, India. The testing room was horrible. I was constantly distracted by the footstep sounds because of the wooden staircase and floor of the testing room. The room was quite small and Students were constantly moving in and out during the first half of the test. The constant settling down of other students was a major distraction during the first half of the test. They were constantly opening and closing the doors which made disturbing noise and the proctor did nothing to control it. The proctor's cell phone also started ringing during my quant section. During the quant section, I had to leave my chair to get an extra scratchpad because the proctor wasn't available nearby. Are these things even normal for a test center or is it just this particular one. I tried reporting to GMAC but couldn't reach them. The exam was a total waste of money. After spending a huge amount of money for just one sitting every student has the right to expect good testing conditions but Pearson Vue India failed to deliver it.
I feel that after working very very hard for months I just don't deserve this score. I feel that my actual ability is much higher than this score. I don't know what to do now. Please help

First of all, don’t be shattered and don’t be humiliated! With some more smart and dedicated prep, you can improve!

With that said, I’d like to learn some more about you in order to be able to provide some tailored advice:

1) Did you list all of your practice test scores? Please also let me know how you were feeling while taking the tests.

2) Please describe how you studied and what materials you used. How many hours a day did you study and for how many months?

3) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?

4) How many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?

5) Have you ever had accommodations on any test? For example, extra time, a private room, or extra breaks? Do you have any medical diagnoses that could impact your studying or GMAT performance, such as ADHD, generalized anxiety, depression, or learning disabilities?

6) What is your desired GMAT score?

7) In your opinion, how prepared were you for the GMAT? It's important that you answer this question as objectively as possible.

8) Is there anything else that I should know? Anything else you’d like to tell me?

Let’s do this!!

First of all Thank You for replying. It means a lot.
1) Yes, I have listed all my practice test scores. In the first 2 tests, I was feeling nervous and anxious while in the last I was not that anxious.
2) For Verbal I used E-Gmat and for quant Math Revolution which I used in the last month during May( only 20% of their course for DS) as my quant score in practice tests were stuck at 39. And on average I studied 6-7 hours/day for 7 months.
3)I want to/must take the GMAT by August. I am planning to apply for Round 1 Masters in Management.
4) I can study for a minimum of 6 hours/ day from now to my next GMAT.
5) During MGMAT 3, 4 their server crashed midway during the test. I think that is enough to create an unideal condition for practice. I had to continue after 4 hours. And the rest of the tests were taken in proper condition except AWA and IR. IMO I am a bit more sensitive and stressed person than the rest. I am still trying to improve on that. I am trying to figure out a strategy for my next test. The last mock of MGMAT taken 12 days before my official test where I scored 440 just shook me off. I lost a majority of my confidence just before my official test.
6)IMO I was expecting a score between 610-650 because of my previous test scores. I knew that I am not good at quant so I expected a minimum score of 39 on the actual GMAT. During the final week, I revised all my error logs and weak areas and I was pretty confident. I was not as nervous before my official test as before the mocks. (That may be a bad sign).
7)Yes, I gave my test in the worst testing conditions anyone can ever have. I was disturbed immensely during the first half of my test because of the outside noise. Even the earplugs failed to work.
The washroom was far away from my room and I had to rush during my break which added to exhaustion. During my Quant section, the cellphone of the proctor started ringing. After 30 minutes of quant, I needed another scratch pad but the proctor was not present in the room and I had to leave my chair to get another pad.

So, listen, I completely understand that things at the test center could not have gone any worse than they did, but with that said, the variation in your practice test scores is a red flag that tells me that you may not have been ready to take your GMAT. Do you agree?

Furthermore, you studied for seven months and didn’t achieve your desired results, so you really need to consider adjusting your study routine such that you can start making the score gains you need. Are you willing to do so?

If so, I’m happy to provide you with some detailed advice that should allow you to get a handle on your GMAT quant prep.

Also, to get started, please read my article How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success.

Please let me know, and I can respond back with some further information.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts