GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 22:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

510 after 7 months of hard work! Expert Help needed Urgently!

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Jun 2017
Posts: 56
Location: India
GPA: 3.23
510 after 7 months of hard work! Expert Help needed Urgently!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2018, 21:46
Hi ,
I wrote my test on 30th May, 2018. I got a mere 510. This is the biggest failure of my life. My self-confidence has been blown away and I don't have the strength to rise up again after working hard for 7 months. I don't know what to do now. I am targeting MiM programs for this October round 1. I have very less time. My test score was very hard to digest. After seeing the horrible score I cannot even dare to think about going abroad for studies. I think I am too dumb for it. My mock scores are:-
October 28, 2017 - 460(Q 27, V 28) without any studying.
After 4 months of study I gave MGMAT mocks
MGMAT 1 -- 570 (Q39, V30) April 1
MGMAT 2 -- 630 (Q39, V37) after a week
MGMAT 3 -- 540 MGMAT's server crashed for 4 hours after the verbal section. Date-- May 2
MGMAT 4 -- 600(Q36, V36) This time their server crashed again for 3 hours mid test ..I was frustrated as hell. Date-- May 8
MGMAT 5 -- 440(Q26, V28) I gave this test 10 days prior to my actual test in proper test-taking conditions. As you can see there was a massive score drop and I got demoralized for 2 days straight. I was shaking and feverish after I saw the score. Still, I resumed with my prep coz the date was approaching. I doubt that I didn't train my brain to work in test conditions thus hampering my mental stamina severely.

On the test day, I was not stressed much and I arrived at the center. My center was at Bhubaneswar, India. The testing room was horrible. I was constantly distracted by the footstep sounds because of the wooden staircase and floor of the testing room. The room was quite small and Students were constantly moving in and out during the first half of the test. The constant settling down of other students was a major distraction during the first half of the test. They were constantly opening and closing the doors which made disturbing noise and the proctor did nothing to control it. The proctor's cell phone also started ringing during my quant section. During the quant section, I had to leave my chair to get an extra scratchpad because the proctor wasn't available nearby. Are these things even normal for a test center or is it just this particular one. I tried reporting to GMAC but couldn't reach them. The exam was a total waste of money. After spending a huge amount of money for just one sitting every student has the right to expect good testing conditions but Pearson Vue India failed to deliver it.
I feel that after working very very hard for months I just don't deserve this score. I feel that my actual ability is much higher than this score. I don't know what to do now. Please help
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
G
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 3518
Location: United States (CA)
Re: 510 after 7 months of hard work! Expert Help needed Urgently!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2018, 14:10
sahilsnpt wrote:
Hi ,
I wrote my test on 30th May, 2018. I got a mere 510. This is the biggest failure of my life. My self-confidence has been blown away and I don't have the strength to rise up again after working hard for 7 months. I don't know what to do now. I am targeting MiM programs for this October round 1. I have very less time. My test score was very hard to digest. After seeing the horrible score I cannot even dare to think about going abroad for studies. I think I am too dumb for it. My mock scores are:-
October 28, 2017 - 460(Q 27, V 28) without any studying.
After 4 months of study I gave MGMAT mocks
MGMAT 1 -- 570 (Q39, V30) April 1
MGMAT 2 -- 630 (Q39, V37) after a week
MGMAT 3 -- 540 MGMAT's server crashed for 4 hours after the verbal section. Date-- May 2
MGMAT 4 -- 600(Q36, V36) This time their server crashed again for 3 hours mid test ..I was frustrated as hell. Date-- May 8
MGMAT 5 -- 440(Q26, V28) I gave this test 10 days prior to my actual test in proper test-taking conditions. As you can see there was a massive score drop and I got demoralized for 2 days straight. I was shaking and feverish after I saw the score. Still, I resumed with my prep coz the date was approaching. I doubt that I didn't train my brain to work in test conditions thus hampering my mental stamina severely.

On the test day, I was not stressed much and I arrived at the center. My center was at Bhubaneswar, India. The testing room was horrible. I was constantly distracted by the footstep sounds because of the wooden staircase and floor of the testing room. The room was quite small and Students were constantly moving in and out during the first half of the test. The constant settling down of other students was a major distraction during the first half of the test. They were constantly opening and closing the doors which made disturbing noise and the proctor did nothing to control it. The proctor's cell phone also started ringing during my quant section. During the quant section, I had to leave my chair to get an extra scratchpad because the proctor wasn't available nearby. Are these things even normal for a test center or is it just this particular one. I tried reporting to GMAC but couldn't reach them. The exam was a total waste of money. After spending a huge amount of money for just one sitting every student has the right to expect good testing conditions but Pearson Vue India failed to deliver it.
I feel that after working very very hard for months I just don't deserve this score. I feel that my actual ability is much higher than this score. I don't know what to do now. Please help


First of all, don’t be shattered and don’t be humiliated! With some more smart and dedicated prep, you can improve!

With that said, I’d like to learn some more about you in order to be able to provide some tailored advice:

1) Did you list all of your practice test scores? Please also let me know how you were feeling while taking the tests.

2) Please describe how you studied and what materials you used. How many hours a day did you study and for how many months?

3) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?

4) How many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?

5) Have you ever had accommodations on any test? For example, extra time, a private room, or extra breaks? Do you have any medical diagnoses that could impact your studying or GMAT performance, such as ADHD, generalized anxiety, depression, or learning disabilities?

6) What is your desired GMAT score?

7) In your opinion, how prepared were you for the GMAT? It's important that you answer this question as objectively as possible.

8) Is there anything else that I should know? Anything else you’d like to tell me?

Let’s do this!!
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Jun 2017
Posts: 56
Location: India
GPA: 3.23
510 after 7 months of hard work! Expert Help needed Urgently!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Jun 2018, 22:12
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
sahilsnpt wrote:
Hi ,
I wrote my test on 30th May, 2018. I got a mere 510. This is the biggest failure of my life. My self-confidence has been blown away and I don't have the strength to rise up again after working hard for 7 months. I don't know what to do now. I am targeting MiM programs for this October round 1. I have very less time. My test score was very hard to digest. After seeing the horrible score I cannot even dare to think about going abroad for studies. I think I am too dumb for it. My mock scores are:-
October 28, 2017 - 460(Q 27, V 28) without any studying.
After 4 months of study I gave MGMAT mocks
MGMAT 1 -- 570 (Q39, V30) April 1
MGMAT 2 -- 630 (Q39, V37) after a week
MGMAT 3 -- 540 MGMAT's server crashed for 4 hours after the verbal section. Date-- May 2
MGMAT 4 -- 600(Q36, V36) This time their server crashed again for 3 hours mid test ..I was frustrated as hell. Date-- May 8
MGMAT 5 -- 440(Q26, V28) I gave this test 10 days prior to my actual test in proper test-taking conditions. As you can see there was a massive score drop and I got demoralized for 2 days straight. I was shaking and feverish after I saw the score. Still, I resumed with my prep coz the date was approaching. I doubt that I didn't train my brain to work in test conditions thus hampering my mental stamina severely.

On the test day, I was not stressed much and I arrived at the center. My center was at Bhubaneswar, India. The testing room was horrible. I was constantly distracted by the footstep sounds because of the wooden staircase and floor of the testing room. The room was quite small and Students were constantly moving in and out during the first half of the test. The constant settling down of other students was a major distraction during the first half of the test. They were constantly opening and closing the doors which made disturbing noise and the proctor did nothing to control it. The proctor's cell phone also started ringing during my quant section. During the quant section, I had to leave my chair to get an extra scratchpad because the proctor wasn't available nearby. Are these things even normal for a test center or is it just this particular one. I tried reporting to GMAC but couldn't reach them. The exam was a total waste of money. After spending a huge amount of money for just one sitting every student has the right to expect good testing conditions but Pearson Vue India failed to deliver it.
I feel that after working very very hard for months I just don't deserve this score. I feel that my actual ability is much higher than this score. I don't know what to do now. Please help


First of all, don’t be shattered and don’t be humiliated! With some more smart and dedicated prep, you can improve!

With that said, I’d like to learn some more about you in order to be able to provide some tailored advice:

1) Did you list all of your practice test scores? Please also let me know how you were feeling while taking the tests.

2) Please describe how you studied and what materials you used. How many hours a day did you study and for how many months?

3) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?

4) How many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?

5) Have you ever had accommodations on any test? For example, extra time, a private room, or extra breaks? Do you have any medical diagnoses that could impact your studying or GMAT performance, such as ADHD, generalized anxiety, depression, or learning disabilities?

6) What is your desired GMAT score?

7) In your opinion, how prepared were you for the GMAT? It's important that you answer this question as objectively as possible.

8) Is there anything else that I should know? Anything else you’d like to tell me?

Let’s do this!!


First of all Thank You for replying. It means a lot.
1) Yes, I have listed all my practice test scores. In the first 2 tests, I was feeling nervous and anxious while in the last I was not that anxious.
2) For Verbal I used E-Gmat and for quant Math Revolution which I used in the last month during May( only 20% of their course for DS) as my quant score in practice tests were stuck at 39. And on average I studied 6-7 hours/day for 7 months.
3)I want to/must take the GMAT by August. I am planning to apply for Round 1 Masters in Management.
4) I can study for a minimum of 6 hours/ day from now to my next GMAT.
5) During MGMAT 3, 4 their server crashed midway during the test. I think that is enough to create an unideal condition for practice. I had to continue after 4 hours. And the rest of the tests were taken in proper condition except AWA and IR. IMO I am a bit more sensitive and stressed person than the rest. I am still trying to improve on that. I am trying to figure out a strategy for my next test. The last mock of MGMAT taken 12 days before my official test where I scored 440 just shook me off. I lost a majority of my confidence just before my official test.
6)IMO I was expecting a score between 610-650 because of my previous test scores. I knew that I am not good at quant so I expected a minimum score of 39 on the actual GMAT. During the final week, I revised all my error logs and weak areas and I was pretty confident. I was not as nervous before my official test as before the mocks. (That may be a bad sign).
7)Yes, I gave my test in the worst testing conditions anyone can ever have. I was disturbed immensely during the first half of my test because of the outside noise. Even the earplugs failed to work.
The washroom was far away from my room and I had to rush during my break which added to exhaustion. During my Quant section, the cellphone of the proctor started ringing. After 30 minutes of quant, I needed another scratch pad but the proctor was not present in the room and I had to leave my chair to get another pad.
Attachments

SS_ESR.pdf [460.2 KiB]
Downloaded 12 times

To download please login or register as a user


Originally posted by sahilsnpt on 23 Jun 2018, 21:20.
Last edited by adkikani on 23 Jun 2018, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
ESR edited to prevent misuse
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Jul 2013
Posts: 64
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-03-2015
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: 510 after 7 months of hard work! Expert Help needed Urgently!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2018, 02:11
Could you share your study methods for the test? What is your target score and please publish all your mock scores.

Thanks!
_________________

On the Kudos Spree.

If you like my post/comment please appreciate with kudos :)

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Jun 2017
Posts: 56
Location: India
GPA: 3.23
Re: 510 after 7 months of hard work! Expert Help needed Urgently!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2018, 02:35
Pretz wrote:
Could you share your study methods for the test? What is your target score and please publish all your mock scores.

Thanks!

Sir, I have clearly published all my scores on the above thread. And about my study methods would you please elaborate?
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 12415
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: 510 after 7 months of hard work! Expert Help needed Urgently!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2018, 21:04
Hi sahilsnpt,

I've sent you a PM with some notes and suggestions based on your ESR.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
G
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 3518
Location: United States (CA)
Re: 510 after 7 months of hard work! Expert Help needed Urgently!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 17:41
sahilsnpt wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
sahilsnpt wrote:
Hi ,
I wrote my test on 30th May, 2018. I got a mere 510. This is the biggest failure of my life. My self-confidence has been blown away and I don't have the strength to rise up again after working hard for 7 months. I don't know what to do now. I am targeting MiM programs for this October round 1. I have very less time. My test score was very hard to digest. After seeing the horrible score I cannot even dare to think about going abroad for studies. I think I am too dumb for it. My mock scores are:-
October 28, 2017 - 460(Q 27, V 28) without any studying.
After 4 months of study I gave MGMAT mocks
MGMAT 1 -- 570 (Q39, V30) April 1
MGMAT 2 -- 630 (Q39, V37) after a week
MGMAT 3 -- 540 MGMAT's server crashed for 4 hours after the verbal section. Date-- May 2
MGMAT 4 -- 600(Q36, V36) This time their server crashed again for 3 hours mid test ..I was frustrated as hell. Date-- May 8
MGMAT 5 -- 440(Q26, V28) I gave this test 10 days prior to my actual test in proper test-taking conditions. As you can see there was a massive score drop and I got demoralized for 2 days straight. I was shaking and feverish after I saw the score. Still, I resumed with my prep coz the date was approaching. I doubt that I didn't train my brain to work in test conditions thus hampering my mental stamina severely.

On the test day, I was not stressed much and I arrived at the center. My center was at Bhubaneswar, India. The testing room was horrible. I was constantly distracted by the footstep sounds because of the wooden staircase and floor of the testing room. The room was quite small and Students were constantly moving in and out during the first half of the test. The constant settling down of other students was a major distraction during the first half of the test. They were constantly opening and closing the doors which made disturbing noise and the proctor did nothing to control it. The proctor's cell phone also started ringing during my quant section. During the quant section, I had to leave my chair to get an extra scratchpad because the proctor wasn't available nearby. Are these things even normal for a test center or is it just this particular one. I tried reporting to GMAC but couldn't reach them. The exam was a total waste of money. After spending a huge amount of money for just one sitting every student has the right to expect good testing conditions but Pearson Vue India failed to deliver it.
I feel that after working very very hard for months I just don't deserve this score. I feel that my actual ability is much higher than this score. I don't know what to do now. Please help


First of all, don’t be shattered and don’t be humiliated! With some more smart and dedicated prep, you can improve!

With that said, I’d like to learn some more about you in order to be able to provide some tailored advice:

1) Did you list all of your practice test scores? Please also let me know how you were feeling while taking the tests.

2) Please describe how you studied and what materials you used. How many hours a day did you study and for how many months?

3) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?

4) How many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?

5) Have you ever had accommodations on any test? For example, extra time, a private room, or extra breaks? Do you have any medical diagnoses that could impact your studying or GMAT performance, such as ADHD, generalized anxiety, depression, or learning disabilities?

6) What is your desired GMAT score?

7) In your opinion, how prepared were you for the GMAT? It's important that you answer this question as objectively as possible.

8) Is there anything else that I should know? Anything else you’d like to tell me?

Let’s do this!!


First of all Thank You for replying. It means a lot.
1) Yes, I have listed all my practice test scores. In the first 2 tests, I was feeling nervous and anxious while in the last I was not that anxious.
2) For Verbal I used E-Gmat and for quant Math Revolution which I used in the last month during May( only 20% of their course for DS) as my quant score in practice tests were stuck at 39. And on average I studied 6-7 hours/day for 7 months.
3)I want to/must take the GMAT by August. I am planning to apply for Round 1 Masters in Management.
4) I can study for a minimum of 6 hours/ day from now to my next GMAT.
5) During MGMAT 3, 4 their server crashed midway during the test. I think that is enough to create an unideal condition for practice. I had to continue after 4 hours. And the rest of the tests were taken in proper condition except AWA and IR. IMO I am a bit more sensitive and stressed person than the rest. I am still trying to improve on that. I am trying to figure out a strategy for my next test. The last mock of MGMAT taken 12 days before my official test where I scored 440 just shook me off. I lost a majority of my confidence just before my official test.
6)IMO I was expecting a score between 610-650 because of my previous test scores. I knew that I am not good at quant so I expected a minimum score of 39 on the actual GMAT. During the final week, I revised all my error logs and weak areas and I was pretty confident. I was not as nervous before my official test as before the mocks. (That may be a bad sign).
7)Yes, I gave my test in the worst testing conditions anyone can ever have. I was disturbed immensely during the first half of my test because of the outside noise. Even the earplugs failed to work.
The washroom was far away from my room and I had to rush during my break which added to exhaustion. During my Quant section, the cellphone of the proctor started ringing. After 30 minutes of quant, I needed another scratch pad but the proctor was not present in the room and I had to leave my chair to get another pad.


So, listen, I completely understand that things at the test center could not have gone any worse than they did, but with that said, the variation in your practice test scores is a red flag that tells me that you may not have been ready to take your GMAT. Do you agree?

Furthermore, you studied for seven months and didn’t achieve your desired results, so you really need to consider adjusting your study routine such that you can start making the score gains you need. Are you willing to do so?

If so, I’m happy to provide you with some detailed advice that should allow you to get a handle on your GMAT quant prep.

Also, to get started, please read my article How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success.

Please let me know, and I can respond back with some further information.
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Re: 510 after 7 months of hard work! Expert Help needed Urgently! &nbs [#permalink] 25 Jun 2018, 17:41
Display posts from previous: Sort by

510 after 7 months of hard work! Expert Help needed Urgently!

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.