Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 353 [111]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619238 [111]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [16]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 353 [4]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Martha bought an armchair and a coffee table at an action and sold bot [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Is there a quick way to know whether a fraction will cancel the variables, and only an absolute value will remain?

As v1rok has said, had numbers been a little bit different, the answer would have been (C).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 460 Q35 V20
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Martha bought an armchair and a coffee table at an action and sold bot [#permalink]
Kudos
Also Bunuel,

C would be true even if the percentages are different but if it were product

i .e instead of profit calculation ,if it were a revenue calculation, C would be the answer?

Am i right?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619238 [0]
Send PM
Re: Martha bought an armchair and a coffee table at an action and sold bot [#permalink]
Expert Reply
shankar245 wrote:
Also Bunuel,

C would be true even if the percentages are different but if it were product

i .e instead of profit calculation ,if it were a revenue calculation, C would be the answer?

Am i right?

I'm not sure understand your point. The question asks about the ratio of the profits, not the value of any profit. If it were asking about the ratio of the revenues then the answer would be B, since (2) directly says that revenue from the armchair was 20% more than the revenue from the coffee table.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619238 [3]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on Percent and Interest Problems: math-number-theory-percents-91708.html

All DS Percent and Interest Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=33
All PS Percent and Interest Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=54
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kudos
hersheycake wrote:
Martha bought an armchair and a coffee table at an action and sold both items at her store. Her gross profit from the purchase and sale of the armchair was what percentage greater than her gross profit from the purchase and sale of the coffee table?

(1) Martha paid 10% more for armchair than for the coffee table.

(2) Martha sold the armchair for 20% more than she sold the coffee table.

Question asks for \(\frac{S_a-C_a}{S_c-C_c}\)

(1) Pick number \(C_c=100\) then \(C_a=110\) we don't have information for \(S_c\) and \(S_a\) so insufficient

(2) Pick number \(S_c=200\) then \(S_a=240\) we don't have information for \(C_c\) and \(C_a\) so insufficient

(1)+(2) Although it seems like we can solve the questions using the numbers we picked above for (1) and (2), we need to try to pick a new set of numbers to make the statements insufficient.
For example, pick number \(S_c=300\) then \(S_a=360\). The numerator and denominator change non-proportionally, therefore will result in a different ratio.

Answer is E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Let sale price / purchase price of armchair be As and Ap resp. Similarly for Coffee table be, Cs and Cp.
To find (As - Ap) * 100 / (Cs - Cp) ?
1) gives us that Ap = 1.1Cp
our eq becomes : (As - 1.1Cp) *100 / (Cs - Cp). NS.

2) gives us that As = 1.2 Cs
our eq becomes : (1.2Cs - Ap) *100 / (Cs - Cp). NS.

1 and 2 , give :
(1.2Cs - 1.1Cp) *100 / (Cs-Cp)
Since we cannot cancel anything, the statements are still not suff.
Thus E.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [4]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
hersheycake wrote:
Martha bought an armchair and a coffee table at an action and sold both items at her store. Her gross profit from the purchase and sale of the armchair was what percentage greater than her gross profit from the purchase and sale of the coffee table?

Thanks! :)

You can also try two values to see that both statements together are not sufficient.
It is obvious that neither statement alone is sufficient. The only question is whether the two of them together are sufficient.

Say she paid $100 for table and $110 for chair (10% more). Say she sold table for $200 and chair for $240 (20% more).
Her gross profit from table is $100 while from chair is $130 - i.e. 30% more

Now just vary one set of numbers a bit:
Say she paid $100 for table and $110 for chair (10% more). Say she sold table for $300 and chair for $360 (20% more).
Her gross profit from table is $200 while from chair is $250 - i.e. 25% more

So we see that the percentage by which her gross profit on chair is more than that on table varies with 2 different set of values. So both statements together are not sufficient.

Answer (E)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
hersheycake wrote:

Welcome to GMAT Club. Below is a solution to your question.

Let the selling price and cost price of an armchair be \(S_a\) and \(C_a\) respectively;
Let the selling price and cost price of a coffee table be \(S_c\) and \(C_c\) respectively.
Basically we need to get: \(\frac{S_a-C_a}{S_c-C_c}\).

(1) Martha paid 10% more for armchair than for the coffee table --> \(C_a=1.1*C_c\). Not sufficient to get the ratio.

(2) Martha sold the armchair for 20% more than she sold the coffee table --> \(S_a=1.2*S_c\). Not sufficient to get the ratio.

(1)+(2) \(\frac{S_a-C_a}{S_c-C_c}=\frac{1.2*S_c-1.1*C_c}{S_c-C_c}\), still not sufficient to get the ratio.

Answer: E.

Notice though that if the percents in (1) and (2) were the same then the answer would be C, since we would be able to factor out the percent and then reduce by \(S_c-C_c\). For example if (1) were Martha paid 20% more for armchair than for the coffee table, then we would have: \(\frac{S_a-C_a}{S_c-C_c}=\frac{1.2*S_c-1.2*C_c}{S_c-C_c}=\frac{1.2*(S_c-C_c)}{S_c-C_c}=1.2\), which would mean that Martha's gross profit from the armchair was 20% greater than her gross profit from the coffee table. Or simply if both the cost price and selling price of the armchair were 20% greater than the cost price and selling price of the coffee table then the profit would also be 20% greater.

Hope it's clear.

Great answer, but i have a basic doubt.

Do we not need to calculate [(Sa-Ca) - (Sc-Cc)]/ (Sa-Ca) * 100? If we were to calculate what the exact percentage was.
I know that we only need (Sa- Ca)/(Sc-Cc) and if we get that, we can add it to 100%.
I just want to confirm whether i am thinking wrong or what.
When the questions are like "What % greater" Do we calculate the percentage change? like (X-Y)/X * 100?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619238 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Akshit03 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
hersheycake wrote:

Welcome to GMAT Club. Below is a solution to your question.

Let the selling price and cost price of an armchair be \(S_a\) and \(C_a\) respectively;
Let the selling price and cost price of a coffee table be \(S_c\) and \(C_c\) respectively.
Basically we need to get: \(\frac{S_a-C_a}{S_c-C_c}\).

(1) Martha paid 10% more for armchair than for the coffee table --> \(C_a=1.1*C_c\). Not sufficient to get the ratio.

(2) Martha sold the armchair for 20% more than she sold the coffee table --> \(S_a=1.2*S_c\). Not sufficient to get the ratio.

(1)+(2) \(\frac{S_a-C_a}{S_c-C_c}=\frac{1.2*S_c-1.1*C_c}{S_c-C_c}\), still not sufficient to get the ratio.

Answer: E.

Notice though that if the percents in (1) and (2) were the same then the answer would be C, since we would be able to factor out the percent and then reduce by \(S_c-C_c\). For example if (1) were Martha paid 20% more for armchair than for the coffee table, then we would have: \(\frac{S_a-C_a}{S_c-C_c}=\frac{1.2*S_c-1.2*C_c}{S_c-C_c}=\frac{1.2*(S_c-C_c)}{S_c-C_c}=1.2\), which would mean that Martha's gross profit from the armchair was 20% greater than her gross profit from the coffee table. Or simply if both the cost price and selling price of the armchair were 20% greater than the cost price and selling price of the coffee table then the profit would also be 20% greater.

Hope it's clear.

Great answer, but i have a basic doubt.

Do we not need to calculate [(Sa-Ca) - (Sc-Cc)]/ (Sa-Ca) * 100? If we were to calculate what the exact percentage was.
I know that we only need (Sa- Ca)/(Sc-Cc) and if we get that, we can add it to 100%.
I just want to confirm whether i am thinking wrong or what.
When the questions are like "What % greater" Do we calculate the percentage change? like (X-Y)/X * 100?

Question: What percent is 10 greater than 8?

The answer is: (10 - 8)/8*100 = 25%. If you don't multiply you'll get 0.25, which is numerical value of 25% but you cannot say that 10 is greater than 8 by 0.25.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
Send PM

(1) Martha paid 10% more for armchair than for the coffee table. NS as we dont know the price of AC and CT

(2) Martha sold the armchair for 20% more than she sold the coffee table. NS

1+2

We dont have any idea about the prices so we cannot find the ans

E
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92948 posts