Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:49 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619116 [10]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2427 [0]
Given Kudos: 1131
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8832 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Re: The soap manufacturer conceded that its product may have contributed [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
The soap manufacturer conceded that its product may have contributed to the recent outbreak of skin irritation experienced by its consumers and having pulled the product, led to a sharp drop in the company`s share price.

A. having pulled the product, led to

B. pulled the product, leading to

C. pulling the product, leading to

D. pulled the product, led to

E. pulled the product, having led to

Proper uses of cause & effect structure with a participle modifier. It has also a parallel structure "conceded ....... and pulled ......".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Re: The soap manufacturer conceded that its product may have contributed [#permalink]
Hi ,

How can we identify from where is the parallel branch starting from?

This how i compared the 2 clauses:
The soap manufacturer conceded that its product may have contributed to the recent outbreak of skin irritation experienced by its consumers[/color] and having pulled the product, led to a sharp drop in the company`s share price.

Please suggest a robust way to be sure of from where the parallelism branch starts?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Kudos
Sahnikraj wrote:
Hi ,

How can we identify from where is the parallel branch starting from?

This how i compared the 2 clauses:
The soap manufacturer conceded that its product may have contributed to the recent outbreak of skin irritation experienced by its consumers[/color] and having pulled the product, led to a sharp drop in the company`s share price.

Please suggest a robust way to be sure of from where the parallelism branch starts?

Hello Sahnikraj,

Let me help you.
Please don't search parallel structure in a sentence considering words only.
GMAT always gives more priority to meaning than grammar.

In this sentence, the soap manufacturer thought that the skin irritation had been caused by its product and accordingly pulled out the product from market.
And this pullout caused sharp drop in the company's share price.
So, considering the meaning of this sentence "conceded" and "pulled" should be parallel.

Also, there is a simple cause and effect combination. Pullout caused share drop.

Hope, it helps.

Not an expert.
Please argue if I am wrong.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [1]
Given Kudos: 121
Send PM
Kudos
workout Hello, I think B is correct because pulled and conceded are pararell. you have mentioned "contributed" and "pulled" are parallel. . Please correct me If I am wrong here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 232
Send PM
What does option E having lead to suggest

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Who pulled the product- manufacturer or product? We know it's manufacturer hence conceded and pulled are parallel. So only options are B,D &E

Now the clause following it is s modifier ie verb-ing action Modifier so B

Posted from my mobile device
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [1]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
sameeruce08

Quote:
What does option E having lead to suggest

coma + having suggests earlier to two actions similar to past perfect tense.

e.g.
having played entire evening, Mak went to sleep.

Earlier of two actions: Played
later of two actions: Slept

Hope this helps :)
AjiteshArun
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 328 [0]
Given Kudos: 188
Send PM
OE:

The original sentence is incorrect in its treatment of the Verbs having pulled and led. The verbs conceded at the beginning of the sentence and pulled serve logically parallel functions in the sentence, and so should use correct Parallelism. The construction having pulled is not parallel in the sentence. Also, the use of led after the comma is incorrect, as the logical Meaning is that led to a sharp drop in the company’s share price is not serving as a third item in the list, but as a distinct clause describing the results of the actions of the company. The use of led in this sentence incorrectly suggests that the soap manufacturer itself led to a sharp drop in the company’s share price; more precisely, it was the concession of the soap manufacturer and its pulling of the product, not the soap manufacturer itself, that led to the drop. Led is more appropriately treated as distinct from, and not parallel to, the verbs conceded and pulled.

(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) CORRECT. In this choice, pulled is treated in a structurally parallel manner to conceded. Also, leading correctly begins the verb clause after the comma and correctly attributes the drop in share price to the manufacturer’s actions.

(C) This choice incorrectly uses the gerund pulling; the verb should be parallel to conceded, as these verbs are used in a logically parallel manner in the sentence.

(D) This choice incorrectly treats the final verb clause led to a sharp drop in the company’s share price as a third item in the list, when it serves a different function in the sentence. The construction in this choice also incorrectly suggests that the soap manufacturer itself led to a sharp drop in the company’s share price; more precisely, it was the concession of the soap manufacturer, not the soap manufacturer itself, that led to the drop.

(E) The use of the verb construction having led is unjustified in the sentence, and also incorrectly attributes the drop in share price to the soap manufacturer itself as opposed to the manufacturer’s actions.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts