Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 06:29 It is currently 08 May 2024, 06:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
 Q49  V40
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: 2.5 yrs in manufacturing
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1136 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
IHateTheGMAT,

I applied your strategy and seems to be working fine. But one major problem is inference questions. 40-50% of the questions I get wrong are inference questions (i.e in second paragraph passage suggests which of teh following about X)? What do you recommend?

BTW, I improved a lot in timing. I did two sets of 40 questions and in each finished 3 minutes early. I never finished early, even on time, in RCs. Thanks buddy.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
ps_dahiya

First of all thats great that you've seen improvement in RC! I'm glad my stuff helped. As far as inference questions the main idea is to basically pick the answer that is the most directly supported by the the passage (do not infer anything!). If you need to create a story for the answer to be correct, then its wrong. Also, I think they usually put some pretty sneaky traps on these types of questions so you need to be careful. Often they will have a statement that sounds like its supported by the passage but if you read it carefully you will find that its not. Carefully using POE will often help a lot with these questions. If you'd like you can post links to a couple RC inference Q's from GMATClub (or post a passage, reference OG11, etc) and I can work through a couple examples for you (pick science RC if you must but i'd prefer that you didn't - I hate those!)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
HateGmat,

I like your strategies. They seem less stringent and more practical. I did have one question. Regarding your statement about the last reading comprehension being important. Is it your theory that the last RC passage is the most important or that the last one is certainly not the experimental passage?

Does anyone else have a comment on this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I hate the GMAT too!! But you kicked some serious... Congratulations.
I did very poorly on my first attempt ( Aug, 06), 575, AWA ( 5.5). I took the Kaplan course and could do most of the math and verbal questions. Got 720 on the ultimate practice test but could not pace myself on the real thing. I took almost 20 min on the first 5 questions, and then got frazzled and guessed most of the rest.
This website has been a source of tremendous inspiration and information.
Second attempt ( Dec, 06)
So far:
Finished all problems in Nova
Most of OG 10th edition.
Planning to buy tests from MGMAT, GMATClub.
Can you please recommend any other source for purchasing tests? Or names of any other books I should go through?
Really looking forward to your advice.

Medchemist
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
IHateGmat :
First of All .. and i am sure you already hv gotten lot of these :)
Congratulations Dude !! u Da Man .

I read thru ur entire thread and quite frankly its full of some amazing information about accuracy and pacing strategies . I must say ,i am glad to find this thread .
Thanks for sharing ur perspective and following up on so many other things asked subsequently .
I must also thanks to other ppl who hv contributed to this thread . i can totally correlate to things asked by my fellow Gmatters.

I have been working on my GMAT from last few weeks. I so want to nail it that i quit my job ,just to make sure i get this rite(hopefully i will)need to get started with admission process along with my new job search .

i have been tryin to pace myself on verbalr
SC - 1.5min
CR - 2min
RC - now this has been a tough nut so far ..sometimes i just take forever (Category 2 i suppose ,need to put ur suggestions) and inference Q's kill me sometime :( .

On Quant -
PS
I have been trying pace my self but somehow(as u mentioned earlier) ,i just cant figure how to put Words in equations on some of the questions .. Any suggestions for that ?? its takes 4 mins to fix one question sometimes

DS
Its been OK so far in DS . -Need to pace it better - Currently 2.5 min /avg
Word of Caution for All : Be wary of those ans choices which have SquareRoot n Abosolute Value for X ..very tricky

I am planning to take by OCT first week .

Test Taken

GMAT PowerPsrep Test1 (i know ..i just downloaded the Official GMATPrep)
First Time - 540
Second time - 660(ofcourse some repeats) So not sure if it was the right indicator for pacing.

QQ on this one , the GMATPrep downloaded from some forum ,it only has 2 Tests , Do i have the correct version or there are only 2 Tests on it ??

Kaplan - Test 1 - Pretty Bad and demoralizing - got 520
i thought Verbal as well as Quat were hard on this one

Given that i only have 2 weeks left before i take test , any suggestion on what strategy i should go with to get most out of in terms of pacing and getting most practice ??

pS:
I keep reading that you should time GMATPrep tests as last ones (contrary to what u suggested ,ie to take as many times ) ,which i think makes more sense .. any suggestions there ?

thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
How was the real exam in comparision to gmatprep and og questions(some of the questions in og are bruttal)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
smartguy wrote:
How was the real exam in comparision to gmatprep and og questions(some of the questions in og are bruttal)

I would say that GMATprep is exactly like the real thing, but many people have reported that quantitative questions on the real thing are tougher than those in GMATprep (I'm one of those people). I believe that the OG is very representative of the types of questions you will find in the real exam, but I believe that the quantitative questions also do not reach the level of the tougest questions on the real exam. Of course, since it is a CAT, each person's experience will vary.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
medchemist - Make sure you take the GMATPrep tests. There are only 2 but you can re-take them. They are exactly like the real thing. Also, I'm not sure how much overlap there is between OG11 and OG10 but that might be a good source for some additional practice problems (dont get the supplements though because they come entirely from OG10)

GmatInstinct - I would say you def need to practice the cat 2 strategy and I also think that you should expect to have at lease one passage where your going to need to go straight to the questions (cat 3). I do think GMATPrep should be the last test you take but I also think it should be taken a few times earlier on in your prep
Manager
Manager
Status:Post MBA, working in the area of Development Finance
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
[#permalink]
The posts are not only very inspiring but are important in their detail as well.
Many congratulations for the great score and
words can not describe your determination. Really inspiring us to persevere and not let it go.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 327 [0]
Send PM
Re: An Epic Battle With The GMAT Comes To An End - 740! [#permalink]
Did not want this excellent thread to go off comission...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Send PM
Congratulation on your terrific score and thanks for starting this great thread. Your CR strategy is worth trying especially when one is crunched for time.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Super awesome. Thanks for the inspiration.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Super awesome. Thanks for the inspiration.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderator:
Founder
37403 posts