Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:41 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [7]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [1]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: A dissappointing 630 - Need expert's guidance! Thanks in advance! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Diwakar003,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) On what dates did you take each of your CATs and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
2) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
3) Did you take them at home?
4) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?
5) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
6) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn't provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: A dissappointing 630 - Need expert's guidance! Thanks in advance! [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Diwakar003,

If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

Hey EMPOWERgmatRichC

Firstly, thanks a lot for taking time to read my post and trying to help me out.

Please find my answers to your questions.
1) On what dates did you take each of your CATs and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
- Please find the dates with the score breakdown below.
* Gmat mock 1 - Dec 4, 2018 - 680 - Q48 and V35
* Veritas Mock 1 - Dec 13, 2018 - 640 - Q45 and V33
* Economist free mock - Jan 12, 2018 - 770 - Q50 and V44
* Veritas Mock 2 - Jan 24, 2019 - 710 - Q51 and V36
* Gmat mock 2 - Feb 10, 2019 - 770 - Q49 and V47 (A couple of repeat questions in verbal section)
* Veritas Mock 3 - Feb 16, 2019 - 710 - Q50 and V38
* Official GMAT - Feb 18, 2019 - 630 - Q47 and V28, IR - 7

2) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
- I took only Quants and Verbal in most of the mocks. However, I took essay and IR sections in each of the GMAT official mocks.

3) Did you take them at home?
- Yes, I did take the tests at my home.

4) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?
- Yes, I took the tests in the same time as I did my Official GMAT

5) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
- No, I did not do anything that I am not supposed to do on my Official GMAT. If I took a mock, I would do the complete Quants and Verbal with 5 minutes of break in between the sections. I tried to mimic the actual testing scenario as much as possible.

6) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)?
- Yes, I took one official mock more than once.
- In GMATClub, after realising most of the questions in GMAT club aren’t representative of the official questions, I developed the habit of selecting OG questions and solving them. So in the official mocks tests and other tests, the pattern of some questions were very familiar and I was able to solve them correctly. I highly doubt whether I would’ve correctly solved such questions in mock without doing similar practice questions.

Quote:
You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn't provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

Rich

I will be buying the ESR for sure and will upload it to my post. I will be more than happy if you can take your precious time to analyze my ESR and guide me. Thanks in advance, Rich!.

Cheers!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Diwakar003 wrote:
PS: Will attach the ESR once I get it.

Hi Diwakar, do you have your ESR yet that you can share with us?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
Diwakar003 wrote:

Hi Diwakar, do you have your ESR yet that you can share with us?

Hello EducationAisle

Thanks for your reply. I have purchased the code to unlock/redeem the ESR but the link to apply the code isn't active yet. I'll surely upload the ESR once I get it.

Cheers!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Diwakar003 wrote:
Gmat mock 1 - 680 - Q48 and V35
Veritas Prep Mock 1 - 710 - Q51 and V36 (High quant score is because the three answers(700+) that I guessed in quants turned out to be correct)
Veritas Prep Mock 2 - 710 - Q50 and V38 (No guessing game)
Economist free mock - 770 - Q50 and V44
Gmat mock 2 - 770 - Q49 and V47 (A couple of questions from verbal were repeat, hence the high verbal score)
You don't seem to have taken the paid GMATPreps yet. If that is indeed the case, you really should take one of those tests as soon as you can.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
AjiteshArun wrote:
Diwakar003 wrote:
Gmat mock 1 - 680 - Q48 and V35
Veritas Prep Mock 1 - 710 - Q51 and V36 (High quant score is because the three answers(700+) that I guessed in quants turned out to be correct)
Veritas Prep Mock 2 - 710 - Q50 and V38 (No guessing game)
Economist free mock - 770 - Q50 and V44
Gmat mock 2 - 770 - Q49 and V47 (A couple of questions from verbal were repeat, hence the high verbal score)
You don't seem to have taken the paid GMATPreps yet. If that is indeed the case, you really should take one of those tests as soon as you can.

Hey AjiteshArun

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I haven't taken the paid GMATPrep tests. I have started my prep with a completely different approach, similar to the one mentioned in above posts. I will be taking the test as soon as I feel I have a good strategy at place.

Cheers!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Diwakar003,

I've sent you a PM with some additional questions.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Diwakar003 wrote:

Cheers!

Hello MartyTargetTestPrep EMPOWERgmatRichC EducationAisle AjiteshArun

The link to activate my ESR was finally available now and I'm attaching my ESR to the original post. I would be very happy if you experts could take a moment and provide your valuable insights and analysis of my ESR, showing me the way forward in my prep. Thanks in advance!

Cheers!
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Diwakar003 wrote:
The link to activate my ESR was finally available now and I'm attaching my ESR to the original post. I would be very happy if you experts could take a moment and provide your valuable insights and analysis of my ESR, showing me the way forward in my prep. Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Hi Diwakar003.

Regarding verbal, you ESR indicates that what you did to prepare for SC did not work, and did not result in your developing skill in seeing the key aspects of choices that define why incorrect choices are incorrect and correct choices are correct.

Specifically, you may have learned some grammar rules, but the fact that you got only 40% of Communication focused Sentence Correction questions correct indicates that you have not learned to identify meaning related issues in sentence versions.

So, it becomes even more clear that, as I suggested before, you have to carefully analyze dozens of official SC questions to train yourself to more clearly define what makes incorrect answers incorrect and correct answers correct.

Regarding quant, you can see for yourself that the ESR indicates that you got only 50 percent of the questions in each of three areas correct. So, you have many weaker areas that you could strengthen to drive your quant score higher. The ESR provides only broad categories to consider. So, you would have to do some work on your own to determine what specific areas to work on. At the same time, having some awareness of what often trips up test-takers, I am guessing that you might have room for improvement in sequence and series, inequalities and absolute value, and overlapping sets, and you might want to work on your algebraic translation skills.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Diwakar003.

Regarding verbal, you ESR indicates that what you did to prepare for SC did not work, and did not result in your developing skill in seeing the key aspects of choices that define why incorrect choices are incorrect and correct choices are correct.

Specifically, you may have learned some grammar rules, but the fact that you got only 40% of Communication focused Sentence Correction questions correct indicates that you have not learned to identify meaning related issues in sentence versions.

So, it becomes even more clear that, as I suggested before, you have to carefully analyze dozens of official SC questions to train yourself to more clearly define what makes incorrect answers incorrect and correct answers correct.

Regarding quant, you can see for yourself that the ESR indicates that you got only 50 percent of the questions in each of three areas correct. So, you have many weaker areas that you could strengthen to drive your quant score higher. The ESR provides only broad categories to consider. So, you would have to do some work on your own to determine what specific areas to work on. At the same time, having some awareness of what often trips up test-takers, I am guessing that you might have room for improvement in sequence and series, inequalities and absolute value, and overlapping sets, and you might want to work on your algebraic translation skills.

Hey MartyTargetTestPrep

Thanks a lot for your reply. I'll keep all the points mentioned by you in mind while I prepare for the next attempt.

Cheers!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Diwakar003,

I've analyzed your ESR and sent you a PM with some notes/suggestions.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts