Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 16:44 It is currently 06 May 2024, 16:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 774 [1]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10036 [1]
Given Kudos: 4544
Test: Test
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Booth '19
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V50
Send PM
Chartered Accountants of India and Pakistan [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
khizar1423 wrote:
Does undergraduate study affect MBA applications in the case of High-school to CA field Indian and Pakistani Chartered Accountants?
Let's say there's a person who joined the Chartered Accountancy qualification right after high-school. Now, in India and Pakistan there are 3 ways to join the CA field. The two ways irrelevant to this discussion are after Undergrad and after Grad university degree. The one we are talking about here is the pathway through which after their high-school exams, students can directly join the CA course in which 2 years are reserved just for examinations and 3/3.5 years are reserved just for article-ships/apprenticeships with business or accounting companies and firms (like the Big 4 auditing; PWC, Deloitte, EY and KPMG). In this pathway all is fine except the fact that the students don't study in universities but rather study in accounting independent colleges and/or by themselves. Ultimately, this means that the students will never have GPAs of any sort whatsoever.
My main question is; If a chartered accountant who has entered their field through the above pathway applies to a top B-School(Stanford, Harvard, Wharton) when they for example have a 730 GMAT,4 years of experience at the big 4, have good extra-curricular, have demonstrated leadership and learning attributes in their work life, have outstanding recommendation letters on their manager's disposal and most of all, if that CA is really good in interviews, will his/her deficiency of GPA still affect their MBA profile?

Hi,

I am a Chartered Accountant from India in Chicago Booth currently. I did my CA right after high school along with B. Com. So it should not be a problem for you - b-schools do not really care if you can show the strength of your academic merit and the institution is reputed such as the ICAI. Additionally, if you have an above average GPA in both (CA and other degrees) along with a high GMAT score it can be sufficient to show that are good on academics. Some people often pursue CFA (or CPA) but the value of that is uncertain at best to determine how strongly it feeds into the admission decision. There are lot of other things you can do to strengthen your profile and I am happy to chat more!
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10036 [1]
Given Kudos: 4544
Test: Test
Send PM
Re: Chartered Accountants of India and Pakistan [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
NakulChicagoBooth wrote:
Hi,

I am a Chartered Accountant from India in Chicago Booth currently. I did my CA right after high school along with B. Com. So it should not be a problem for you - b-schools do not really care if you can show the strength of your academic merit and the institution is reputed such as the ICAI. Additionally, if you have an above average GPA in both (CA and other degrees) along with a high GMAT score it can be sufficient to show that are good on academics. Some people often pursue CFA (or CPA) but the value of that is uncertain at best to determine how strongly it feeds into the admission decision. There are lot of other things you can do to strengthen your profile and I am happy to chat more!

I think his question is can a person apply with 12+CA without an undergrad degree. Do you know any such cases?
SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2210 [0]
Given Kudos: 1665
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.97
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Deficiency in the GPA can be overcome by efficiency shown in CA exams & GMAT. So yeah they stand a very good chance as CAs are considered pinnacle degree in finance in those countries
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [2]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Kudos
Narenn wrote:
This indeed is a practical situation. Given the fact that many CAs from India and Pakistan get in to business schools every year there must be a some alternate provision. This is what I found on MBACrystalBall's blog..
:
Perhaps, MBACrystalBall can shed some light on this situation.

Thanks for tagging, Narenn

At MBA Crystal ball, we sure have worked with CAs who've completed their bachelors + CAT, as well as those who've given up on their CA plans after several attempts (but still have a bachelors). Then there are some who only have their 3-year articleship experience to show, and nothing beyond that.

The OP's situation is unusual, and I'll admit that we don't have any similar candidate's story to share.

When it comes to unconventional profiles, where the tick marks aren't exactly in the same order that bschools expect, here's what we recommend.

Don't rely on third party opinions, even if they've had successes in the past.

Instead, get in touch with your target programs, share your profile details and ask the admissions team directly whether they'd encourage you to apply.

That way you're sure that your application effort will not be wasted.

Top schools need good students, and many admission teams are flexible with some of their requirements, if they really like a candidate.

So, don't make assumptions that'll discourage you from applying.

Hope that helps.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Booth '19
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V50
Send PM
Kudos
Narenn wrote:
NakulChicagoBooth wrote:
Hi,

I think his question is can a person apply with 12+CA without an undergrad degree. Do you know any such cases?

Technically, the ICAI is a master's (the official transcript says that) and US universities require you to do an under-graduation. All the application forms have that as a pre-requisite. I believe you cannot apply to the universities without having an undergraduate degree. However, it is best to write to them to check in what cases do they make rare exceptions.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
NakulChicagoBooth wrote:
khizar1423 wrote:
Does undergraduate study affect MBA applications in the case of High-school to CA field Indian and Pakistani Chartered Accountants?
Let's say there's a person who joined the Chartered Accountancy qualification right after high-school. Now, in India and Pakistan there are 3 ways to join the CA field. The two ways irrelevant to this discussion are after Undergrad and after Grad university degree. The one we are talking about here is the pathway through which after their high-school exams, students can directly join the CA course in which 2 years are reserved just for examinations and 3/3.5 years are reserved just for article-ships/apprenticeships with business or accounting companies and firms (like the Big 4 auditing; PWC, Deloitte, EY and KPMG). In this pathway all is fine except the fact that the students don't study in universities but rather study in accounting independent colleges and/or by themselves. Ultimately, this means that the students will never have GPAs of any sort whatsoever.
My main question is; If a chartered accountant who has entered their field through the above pathway applies to a top B-School(Stanford, Harvard, Wharton) when they for example have a 730 GMAT,4 years of experience at the big 4, have good extra-curricular, have demonstrated leadership and learning attributes in their work life, have outstanding recommendation letters on their manager's disposal and most of all, if that CA is really good in interviews, will his/her deficiency of GPA still affect their MBA profile?

Thank you all so much, especially you Nakul as well as MBA Crystal Ball. You guys have given me a realistic insight and a genuine hope regarding this unusual and rather critical situation. Please, do keep shedding light as much as you can on this specific topic with your updated knowledge bases.

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Does Anyone have any idea about how the international degree evaluating agencies such as WES is currently evaluating Indian CA Qualification in the context of USA.
Is it assessed equivalent as US Bachelor's Degree or Diploma type ?
Response would be highly appreciated.
GMAT Club Bot