Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:16 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 186
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: 800 Score.com [#permalink]
Thanks EMPOWERgmatRichC for looking into it.

Could you please elaborate a little about 6 CATs from GMAC as I am aware about only 2 free CATs.

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Gmatprep550,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. The most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC (the 2 free CATs, and each of the 2 that come with Exam Pack 1 and Exam Pack 2), so if you have not taken any of those CATs yet, then you might want to take one for comparison purposes. Beyond the 6 Official CATs, the CATs from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas are all 'close enough' to the real thing that they will provide you with a relatively realistic score assessment (assuming that you use the CAT correctly).

Before I can offer you any additional advice, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? Since last 6-7 months but also working full time so can study for around 2 - 2 and half hour a day
2) What study materials have you used so far? I have "Complete GMAT Strategy Guide Set", all OG 2018
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs/mocks (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
I have gave 3 mock so far and scores of the same are as follow, sharing as guess that might help you to make training plan.

1) Quant - 49 , Verbal - 12 (GMAT Club)
2) Quant - 45 , Verbal - 29 (800 Score.com)
3) Quant - 47 , Verbal - 27 (800 Score.com)
And yesterday only gave for Verbal on 800Score.com and scored 25 :|

Goals:
4) What is your goal score? 700
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT? I will book date as soon as I get my goal score in Mock
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School? Winter or next fall
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to? Have not decided yet but targeting for universities at US and Canada

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
800 Score.com [#permalink]
Hi AjiteshArun,

Thanks for looking into it.

Wanted to know how much official practice test one can attempt.

AjiteshArun wrote:
Gmatprep550 wrote:
Hi,

I just wanted to know how accurate Mocks are on 800score.com.

I gave 3 mocks till now and no improvement in verbal score (27 - 25 - 25) even though my knowledge has increased and also felt that questions were more difficult than it should be.

generis, GMATNinja,

Not sure about who is the expert for this question hence tagged both you. Could you please advise on this or tag the correct expert for this question.
It's really hard to make good adaptive tests.

I suggest you focus on using the official practice tests to get an idea about what kind of score you are likely to get. As for non-official tests, focus more on question quality. That is, are the questions good (there is a lot of really low quality material out there)? If they aren't, consider using some other provider.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Gmatprep550 wrote:
Thanks EMPOWERgmatRichC for looking into it.

Could you please elaborate a little about 6 CATs from GMAC as I am aware about only 2 free CATs.
These are the (4) additional official practice tests: GMAT Official Practice Exams 3 to 6.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Gmatprep550,

Since you've been studying for over 6 months, we really need to see how you perform on a FULL-LENGTH CAT taken under realistic conditions. As such, I suggest that you take a CAT from one of the sources mentioned in my prior post and be detailed about how you work through it (re: taking the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.).

GMAC sells two additional sets of 2 CATs (in Exam Pack 1 and Exam Pack 2). You can purchase them from www.mba.com (we also offer them at a discount as part of the EMPOWERgmat Course).

Once you have that next result, you should report back here, we can discuss the scores and we can come up with a study plan.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC,

I gave 3 CAT (mentioned in previous comments) under realistic conditions only and did not gave IR and Essay, But as guided by you in next few days I will try full length CAT from the sources provided by you and will let you know.

Thank you !

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Gmatprep550,

Since you've been studying for over 6 months, we really need to see how you perform on a FULL-LENGTH CAT taken under realistic conditions. As such, I suggest that you take a CAT from one of the sources mentioned in my prior post and be detailed about how you work through it (re: taking the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.).

GMAC sells two additional sets of 2 CATs (in Exam Pack 1 and Exam Pack 2). You can purchase them from https://www.mba.com (we also offer them at a discount as part of the EMPOWERgmat Course).

Once you have that next result, you should report back here, we can discuss the scores and we can come up with a study plan.

Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22056 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Gmatprep550,

Did you ever take a practice test? If so, how did it go?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Gmatprep550,

Did you ever take a practice test? If so, how did it go?

Hi ScottTargetTestPrep,

Not getting your exact question, are you asking mental status during those or score in it or what I felt about difficulty level in those or anything else?
Send PM
Expert Reply
As many have suggested, it would be worth taking an "official GMAC practice exam". Were you able to take one? If so, what was your score?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Not yet Scott,

Planning to give one in coming week and will post score once I have completed it successfully.

Was wondering if they provide score for essay too in official practice test.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Gmatprep550 wrote:
Was wondering if they provide score for essay too in official practice test.
The official practice tests won't score your AWA essay. They have a separate product called GMAT Write for AWA. You could also use a professional review service like this one.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Awesome. Once you take the practice test, feel free to reach back out, and I can provide some further advice.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi All,

I need help with regard to time management for Verbal, specifically for RC.

My average time for SC and CR is somewhat more than 1 and half but less than 2 mins.

I observed in RC that I take around 4 and half or 5 mins for 1st question and than around 2 mins for rest, which can affect me badly in test. Can any one help me with it or provide me direction where I can find help.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
Gmatprep550 wrote:
Hi All,

I need help with regard to time management for Verbal, specifically for RC.

My average time for SC and CR is somewhat more than 1 and half but less than 2 mins.

I observed in RC that I take around 4 and half or 5 mins for 1st question and than around 2 mins for rest, which can affect me badly in test. Can any one help me with it or provide me direction where I can find help.
SC is normally the one that takes the least time, so you could look at increasing your speed in those questions. As for RC, it is normal for a test taker to spend more than 2 minutes on the first question (because of the time needed to read the passage). Here you could look at using up some of the time saved in SC, and at getting through the "stated idea" questions as fast as possible, as those are generally easier than the questions that ask you to draw inferences.

If you have the time to do so, you should also increase the amount of RC practice you do. Greater comfort with the topics you find challenging and with reading in general is probably the best way to improve your RC timing.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
SC is normally the one that takes the least time, so you could look at increasing your speed in those questions. As for RC, it is normal for a test taker to spend more than 2 minutes on the first question (because of the time needed to read the passage). Here you could look at using up some of the time saved in SC, and at getting through the "stated idea" questions as fast as possible, as those are generally easier than the questions that ask you to draw inferences.

If you have the time to do so, you should also increase the amount of RC practice you do. Greater comfort with the topics you find challenging and with reading in general is probably the best way to improve your RC timing.

Hi AjiteshArun,

I am aware that a 1st question of RC required more than 2 minutes but 5 to 6 mins are way more that what I feel and I will try to increase the amount of RC practice to increase comfort level.

I am also trying to increase comfort level in SC to save time Thanks !!
Own Kudos [?]: 22056 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Unlike timing on the quant section, timing on verbal is not as straightforward as just averaging 2 minutes per question. What makes timing on the verbal section a little more complicated is that each of the 3 verbal question types takes a different amount of time per question to answer.

Let’s start with Reading Comprehension:

On the GMAT, you can expect a total of four RC passages (although you do not know when you’ll see them). Reading Comprehension passages are either long (containing 4 questions) or short (containing 3 questions). You should spend roughly 2 to 3 minutes reading the short passages and 3 to 4 minutes reading the long ones. Since you should have a rough idea of what you read after reading a passage, each question should take you roughly 30 seconds to one and a half minutes to answer. Thus, look to spend a total of about 6 to 8 minutes on each RC section.

Sentence Correction:

You will see 11 to 13 Sentence Correction questions and each question should take you between 60 and 90 seconds. As you improve your Sentence Correction skills, you should be able to answer each question in closer to 60 seconds.

Critical Reasoning:

Once again, you will see between 11 and 13 Critical Reasoning questions. As you probably know, CR questions tend to be written in a convoluted way to bait you into missing key details. Thus, it’s usually best practice to spend between 90 seconds and 3 minutes on each CR question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
This is a great result, keep going!
I have not achieved such a result yet (I don’t even want to talk about it), but I try very hard!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi All,

Need help badly, I am not sure whats going wrong But I am doing very bad in Verbal and need help for the same.

After my last mock I was mainly focusing on Verbal as I know that I can score good quant for sure. I gave only verbal section yesterday on GMAT Club test and scored only 21 and I was like what?????

If I observe my study of last few days than I can surely say that my knowledge has really increased after I gave my last mock still my score decreased from 25 to 21.

Not sure whats going wrong hence I am planning to give one on official site today to make sure I get real score. Any advise If I should not give it today and why?

Let me know if you want any report of my last mock.

PS - I am not focusing much on quant right now and just practicing few questions a day as Quant is big + for me and I can prepare that quickly whenever needed.

TimNollan wrote:
This is a great result, keep going!
I have not achieved such a result yet (I don’t even want to talk about it), but I try very hard!

Hi TimNollan,

Believe me it is not, Just keep practicing and you will achieve better then this for sure. :)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2