GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2019, 10:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

800 Score.com

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: 800 Score.com  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2019, 08:33
Gmatprep550 wrote:
After my last mock I was mainly focusing on Verbal as I know that I can score good quant for sure. I gave only verbal section yesterday on GMAT Club test and scored only 21 and I was like what?????

If I observe my study of last few days than I can surely say that my knowledge has really increased after I gave my last mock still my score decreased from 25 to 21.

Not sure whats going wrong hence I am planning to give one on official site today to make sure I get real score. Any advise If I should not give it today and why?

Let me know if you want any report of my last mock.

PS - I am not focusing much on quant right now and just practicing few questions a day as Quant is big + for me and I can prepare that quickly whenever needed.
I'm not sure which test you took, but you should try not to compare scores across providers (if that is what you are doing).

There no need to rush here, but this issue seems to be worrying you, so you might as well take an official practice test soon. Treat the score estimate that you get from that test as the most reliable score estimate you have, and plan accordingly. Don't take a second official practice test immediately after the first, as there is usually some "lag" between learning something and being able to apply it.

Most importantly, continue working on your weaknesses. Don't let anything you see on a practice test keep you from doing the really important things.
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2019, 11:18
AjiteshArun wrote:
I'm not sure which test you took, but you should try not to compare scores across providers (if that is what you are doing).

There no need to rush here, but this issue seems to be worrying you, so you might as well take an official practice test soon. Treat the score estimate that you get from that test as the most reliable score estimate you have, and plan accordingly. Don't take a second official practice test immediately after the first, as there is usually some "lag" between learning something and being able to apply it.

Most importantly, continue working on your weaknesses. Don't let anything you see on a practice test keep you from doing the really important things.

Hi AjiteshArun

Earlier I had scored 27 and 25 in Verbal on 800Score.com and yesterday I tried on GMAT CLUB Test where managed to score only 21.

I am on RUSH as I am on leave from office right now as had planned to give GMAT in 1st week of Apr and I am sure if I cancel this leave then not gonna get in near future as slots are already booked by others.

I have not gave any official mock yet hence thinking if should give one.
GMAT Tutor
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2019, 12:27
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs.

This really isn't true - the algorithm is not complicated, it's just based on probability theory, and there's nothing proprietary about a 3-parameter IRT algorithm, which is what the GMAT uses. Certain details are proprietary, but those details are largely inconsequential; the fundamental foundation of the algorithm was published in academic journals decades ago.

The reasons company tests are almost always a very poor approximation of the real thing has little to do with the scoring algorithm those tests are using. There are two far more important factors: most important of all, company test questions are often a poor replica of real test questions. That's especially noticeable in Verbal questions on most company tests. Because company questions are different from real ones, they're testing different abilities than the real test does, so while scores might be somewhat correlated with real scores some of the time, they will be distant from real scores for many test takers. The same is true if you compare, say, high school calculus test grades with GMAT Quant scores. They'll be modestly correlated, but they're testing completely different things, and a lot of people will be much better at one than at the other. Companies also often haven't properly calibrated they're questions (assessed the difficulty levels of questions correctly), so often they're just doing guesswork when they produce scores. The real test is based on very carefully calibrated data for each question.

In general, I don't think test takers should put much stock in prep company test scores, no matter the company. Some are better than others of course, but none are a substitute for the official GMATPrep tests.

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2019, 19:57
Gmatprep550 wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun

Earlier I had scored 27 and 25 in Verbal on 800Score.com and yesterday I tried on GMAT CLUB Test where managed to score only 21.

I am on RUSH as I am on leave from office right now as had planned to give GMAT in 1st week of Apr and I am sure if I cancel this leave then not gonna get in near future as slots are already booked by others.

I have not gave any official mock yet hence thinking if should give one.
I assumed that you had time because I thought you'd planned to take the actual exam only after getting close to your target score. However, if you plan to take the test in April, you should take an official practice test as soon as possible.

As for test slots, it's usually not that tough to find slots in April. Are you sure they're all booked?
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2019, 20:32
Quote:
I assumed that you had time because I thought you'd planned to take the actual exam only after getting close to your target score. However, if you plan to take the test in April, you should take an official practice test as soon as possible.

Yup that was the initial plan but it didn't worked and things got changed as got leaves from office so.....

To my near location only one date is available in 1st week of Apr ie on 2nd of April, which is in less than 2 weeks.

I found few week points of mine in SC ie, Subject verb, Pronoun, modifiers, and Comparison(I know its too much :( ). Hence planned to revise that today and might give one official practice test on tomorrow or day after tomorrow. I will share score here after that.
examPAL Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2019, 09:06
Gmatprep550 wrote:
Hi All,

Need help badly, I am not sure whats going wrong But I am doing very bad in Verbal and need help for the same.

After my last mock I was mainly focusing on Verbal as I know that I can score good quant for sure. I gave only verbal section yesterday on GMAT Club test and scored only 21 and I was like what?????

If I observe my study of last few days than I can surely say that my knowledge has really increased after I gave my last mock still my score decreased from 25 to 21.

Not sure whats going wrong hence I am planning to give one on official site today to make sure I get real score. Any advise If I should not give it today and why?

Let me know if you want any report of my last mock.

PS - I am not focusing much on quant right now and just practicing few questions a day as Quant is big + for me and I can prepare that quickly whenever needed.

TimNollan wrote:
This is a great result, keep going!
I have not achieved such a result yet (I don’t even want to talk about it), but I try very hard!

Hi TimNollan,

Believe me it is not, Just keep practicing and you will achieve better then this for sure. :)

Hey Gmatprep550,

Suggestions on debugging Verbal -
A critical part of improving is to understand that you need to learn and not just practice.
More specifically, when you look at the questions you get wrong, do you notice a trend? Details you tend to miss? Traps you tend to fall into? Words you don't know? Logic you don't understand? If you do, then you know what you need to focus on to improve. If not, then you are still in a more 'preliminary' learning phase, meaning that you should take the time to read and understand the official answers to each question. Over time, you'll be able to emulate the logic of these answers and thereby to identify what, exactly, you need to improve.

Suggestions on taking the official test -
As many above have said, try to do the whole practice exam in one sitting. At a minimum, do a full section without any breaks or interruptions. Otherwise, this will be a good 'practice session', meaning you'll get good practice at solving, but a very bad 'test simulation', meaning you'll get very little information on how well you'll do on the exam.
Re: 800 Score.com   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2019, 09:06

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

800 Score.com

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep