Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 16:18 It is currently 02 May 2024, 16:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
670 is definately a very good score.. Cheer up dude..
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi willget800. I knoew exactly how you feel. I got same score twice!

Congrats dude, firstly 670 is a good score. As I mentioned a friend got into LBS with 650 and that too with full scholarship! So do not despair. What matters is the full application package.

Secondly, GMAT has no connection with your leadership skills! Just apply for MBA and see how it goes! Make sure that the rest of your application is impeccable!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey Willget800,
Chin up buddy... no need to put your head down!!

You did better than most people ever do which 88% shows... not a lot of people up there. You are in the top bracket of GMAT scorers which is no trivial feat. I know of people who got 670 and have gotten into UC Berkeley, UCLA Anderson and USC Marshall School of Business... So look at the whole package... GMAT score, although you would have loved to do better, is just one data point.

But all in all its a very good score... I am sure you would have loved to do better, but maybe all your gears weren't syncing today...

So don't feel down... take a break for a few days and come back. Then lets think what the best option is.

As for now, congrats on improving the score... we can analyze the score later.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
The way I look at it, you did improve your verbal 4 points. It sounds like you're not planning to take the test again, but really, if you do try to take it again, if you can improve your verbal by another 4 points you will be right around 700.

It's already clear that you are a 50 point scorer on quantitative, so there's no reason why you can't repeat the 50 from your first exam if you take it again. Maybe it was just an off day, or maybe you just got hit with some questions that were unlucky for you.

If your goal is a to 10 MBA prgram, you might well be able to do with with 670. But if your goal is to get 700 on the GMAT, it seems like you are pretty close now. One more push might be enough, and there is enough time left in this testing season.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats man!!!

A 670 is a darn good score - its competitive enough to apply to any top mba school of your choice. There are so many stories of people getting into Kellogg or Chicago or HBS with way lower scores and so many stories of people with high scores somehow not getting accepted... remember the gmat is just one piece of a puzzle.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: 670(Q:49,V:33) 88% [#permalink]
willget800 wrote:
Last time I felt very bad, but this time somehow there is no sadness, its like have I given up? I dont know....

I am considering Msc Computational Finance or Msc Finance for a couple of years...

Maybe I am not smart enough to be a good leader yet.. Maybe a few years from now... But right now I know I want to be at school for couple more years, because I am going to get into my dads business in 2-3 years.. So I want to get enough education by then :)

Firstly, congrats on a good score. It's not an easy task acheiving this score.
Secondly, don't lose heart that you are not a good leader. Leaders are not made or labelled by any test. They are made by real-life experiences. GMAT is just another step to help you get better.

Make the rest of your application attractive and impeccable and you do have a chance to get in few of the top colleges as many have already pointed out.

Best of luck with your Apps :wink:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 785 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
hey willget... congrats!!! no need to be sad... look at the positive side!!! life goes on and you will be able to get into the good school with great essays and good recommendations!!! I really wish you luck... don't worry about your verbal score... it is what it is, and it doesn't make you any better than you already are!!! Nose up higher and keep on marching towards your dream!!!

here is some u2 lyrics for ya from "Walk On"! and in case you are not going for the 3rd attempt, Bono says "you've got to leave it behind", the score that it... don't worry the score is enough to get into a good school, especially if it is for Masters in Finance :P

I know it aches
How your heart it breaks
And you can only take so much
Walk on, walk on

Leave it behind
You've got to leave it behind

:band
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1134 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey buddy,

First of all 670 is not a bad score. If you focus on the apps, this score may take you anywhere you want.

Have you read Steve Jobs biography? We are not even close to him in the hardships he faced. You never know what god has for you in his books. But you will realize this when you look back at these years, 10 years from now.

Just to give an example: I wanted to become a scientist in 1998, the year I completed my engineering. But could not get into any of India's premier research institutes. In 1998 the software market was at its peak but I decided not to join the bandwagan and decided to go for higher studies in India. I prepared for 1 year without doing a full time or part-time job and got admisson into one of the India's top institutes (Punjab Engineering College. Kalpana Chawala was also from that college). Then again I appeared for many of the entrance exams of research institutes. I appeared for almost 30 exams in 2 years. Cleared 25 of them but could not clear the technical interviews. But I did not give up. Atlast I got selected in India's top institute, Bhaba Atomic Research Institute (For people who don't know this: This is the organization that made nuclear and thermonuclear bombs for India). But to everybody's surprise, when the appointment letter arrived, I did not join it and instead joined a software company, in which I got selected from Campus. But if I look back now, I see that it is better I did not join BARC. The reason is, if I had joined then I would not be thinking about an MBA, which I think is my passion now.

So GMAT is not everything. Follow your dreams and work hard for them. Only work is in your control. Join your dad's business and then recruit people from Wharton and tell them that I am the one your institute did not select but you will be working for me.

To cut the long story short, enjoy life because it's very short. :beer :drunk :beer
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dude,

First off congraats on your good show!

As everyone else has mentioned here there is no strong connection between GMAT and leadership skills or success in life. Yes it helps to have a 700+ GMAT score, but there are several apects of application that you can focus on and hope for the best.

By taking the test again, what you have displayed is a passion for achieving your goal. I am sure it will be noticed by the adcoms. Remember your goal is to get into a top school and GMAT is only one of the obstacles.

Now you should strategically apply so that you have better chance of getting into the schools that you have a shot at. I have decided against doing MBA, but there are experts here who might help you out with choice of schools.

If you are not obsessed with TOP 10 US schools, definitely consider INSEAD, LBS, IESE, IMD and ISB. They are all good schools, esp if your aim is to go back and join your dad's business.

Good luck!

Originally posted by giddi77 on 08 Aug 2006, 07:34.
Last edited by giddi77 on 09 Aug 2006, 08:05, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
hey willget800,

dont loose heart. 670 is a good score. As others have mentioned, life should move on, and theres plenty to learn along the way.
GMAT is a very small part in the whole process. I know atleast two of my friends, who got 780 last year, adn didnt even get an interview call from any of the schools they applied. So, I wouldnt be worried now, and would treat that as a just-another-bad-day and move on. These standardized tests in no way reflects the true ability of anyone. If you are apping for 07, then you shd start working on essays, and if you are thining for 08, then you may want to give it another shot ..

take care.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Maybe I'm missing something here willget, but why do you insist on going to a top 10 school? You said it yourself that your goal is to eventually run your father's business. I mean, come on, is your father REALLY going to consider anyone else for the job besides you?
I'm not trying to sound like an ass, but your reasons for wanting to go to a top 10 school sound kind of egotistical. I mean what kind of reason is this: "I really want to do MBA from a top 10 school. Because I know if I dont do it from top 10, I am going to feel sad about not going to a top 10 school." Ok, I feel sad that I can't get into Harvard, but that's not the reason I want to go. A MBA from a top 10 program is great if you want to be hired by some prestigious consulting firm/bank or if you want to work overseas, but somehow I don't think those are your goals.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
you did it buddy!

congrats. 670 is a good enough to go to any top B-school. make sure you have competitive profile.

good luck..........
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Lich wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something here willget, but why do you insist on going to a top 10 school? You said it yourself that your goal is to eventually run your father's business. I mean, come on, is your father REALLY going to consider anyone else for the job besides you?
I'm not trying to sound like an ass, but your reasons for wanting to go to a top 10 school sound kind of egotistical. I mean what kind of reason is this: "I really want to do MBA from a top 10 school. Because I know if I dont do it from top 10, I am going to feel sad about not going to a top 10 school." Ok, I feel sad that I can't get into Harvard, but that's not the reason I want to go. A MBA from a top 10 program is great if you want to be hired by some prestigious consulting firm/bank or if you want to work overseas, but somehow I don't think those are your goals.

Thats not true at all! There are several reasons, one can argue, why someone would want to join a top school.

I can think of networking as one of the prime reasons! At HBS you will be studying and networking with the future leaders and defininately such a network would be very useful even if you do not join a consulting/ib and run your business.

Secondly, as far as running your own company is concerned, having a degree from a top school could definately be used to promote the company and attract venture caps or investors.
-J
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1134 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
sm176811 wrote:
Lich wrote:

Thats not true at all! There are several reasons, one can argue, why someone would want to join a top school.

I can think of networking as one of the prime reasons! At HBS you will be studying and networking with the future leaders and defininately such a network would be very useful even if you do not join a consulting/ib and run your business.

Secondly, as far as running your own company is concerned, having a degree from a top school could definately be used to promote the company and attract venture caps or investors.
-J

Can't agree more.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
[#permalink]
Hey willget800,
Congratulations!
Please, don't get dissapointed. 670 is still not that bad. As many already said, it won't prevent you from getting into top school, provided that you've got solid background.

BTW, your scores are exactly the same as mine:
1st attmept - 660 october 2005
2 attempt - 670 july 2006
don't you find it interesting?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Friends,

Thanks a lot. Now that I have finish hearing all sad old hindi songs, I am back to thinking more analytically on what I need to do.

1) I am going to short list schools for MBA
2) I am going to short list schools for Msc finance
3) Start applying... sometime in Oct, maybe rethink the situation and see if I need to give gmat again.

I really appreciate all your comments...

Dilshod,

Really interesting... Similar scores..Are you giving it again?

Ps_dahiya,

What an experience!!! Really inspiring.. I agree with you, we as humans can just work hard and work smart and try to be passionate about goals and try to attain them..

Lich,

There are many advantages of Top 10 school, some of which J highlighted. I think the most important one is networking, reputation of MBA is important when you are sitting in a meeting and trying to win the clients business.. Also as J said, attracting investors, etc, getting loans maybe from banks.. There are lot of places a top 10 school come into play.. International Students who come to top 10 are probably more...

To all again..

Thanks.. I am considerign Chicago and LBS currently... And will see what happens with the MBA plans with them. If I dont get in next year, I will immediately do a Msc Comp Finance/Financial Engineering for 1 year and try to improve other aspects of my application.. Since my long term goal is a financial firm in India as back end and London/Chicago/NY as front end... I dont know more details.. but thats what I am thinking and short term goal is to run the steel manufacturing plant in India.

I have made some great friends here.. and I dont know if my experience of test will really benefit anyone..
I have an excel file that I will post as soon as I get home.. That has pretty much everything that I did to get to where I am at now.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
willget800,

670 is not a bad score at all. I have seen people with score of 650 get in to the top school. GMAT is only one of the factors, dude.

In my opinion you stand a good chance to get admitted. You are lucky that you can join your dad business. This is a very big advantage for your essay. You can tell the admissions officer about anything that you are planning to do for your future business, and that is leadership and entrepeneurship (two of the major factors considered for admission to any top schools).

Give it a try, man. You have a competitive edge.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37344 posts