Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:10 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Strengthenx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619158 [70]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [17]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [8]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Loss of the Gocha mangrove forests has caused coastal erosion, reducin [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Loss of the Gocha mangrove forests has caused coastal erosion, reducing fish populations and requiring the Gocha Fishing Cooperative (GFC) to partially fund dredging and new shore facilities. However, as part of its subsidiary businesses, the GFC has now invested in a program to replant significant parts of the coast with mangrove trees. Given income from a controlled harvest of wood with continuing replanting, the mangrove regeneration effort makes it more likely that the cooperative will increase its net income.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument that mangrove replanting will increase the Gocha cooperative's net income?

A. The cost of dredging and shore facilities was shared with the local government.
B. The GFC will be able to hire local workers to assist with the mangrove replanting.
C. The GFC derives 10 percent of its revenue from salt-production facilities in an area previously cleared of mangroves.
D. Mangrove forests tend to increase the commercial fish populations in coastal fishing grounds.
E. A controlled harvesting of mangrove wood by the GFC would have little effect on coastal erosion.

CR31551.01
OG2020 NEW QUESTION

Premises:- 1. Loss of Gacha mangrove trees cause coastal erosion, reducing fish populations, which 2. caused GFC to fund dredging and shore activities.
2. GFC is going to replant mangrove trees and control it harvest with the replanting.

Conclusion:- With the controlled replanting, GFC will increase its net income. or It will get more money by harvesting than to keep some aside and use the rest to replant.

Now, it is a strengthen question, It should directly affect the conclusion.

Statements:-
1. No effect on conclusion. Only affects premise 1.
2. Again, no effect on conclusion.
3. It just tells what was the situation before. Not helpful.
4. Now, if they get an additional benefit by planting trees which can increase its revenue besides from the harvesting. GFC can increase its
net income. That is what this statement suggests. Increased Mangrove tress--> Increased Fishing---> Increased Revenue.
5. Only restates a fact. Not helpful.

IMO, Option D.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2164 [4]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Loss of the Gocha mangrove forests has caused coastal erosion, reducin [#permalink]
Kudos
I skimmed over the actual name of the company "G Fishing Cooperative" and incorrectly marked (A); nontheless, I still think (D) requires a decent leap in the assumptions of GFC's activities - are we to assume they are a fishery? Cooperatives could be anything, perhaps they regulate fishing as implied by GFC's requirement to fund dredging.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Dear experts,

By POE, I could arrive at D.
But honestly I am not very convinced. As the given statement clearly identifies the source of income as "Given income from a controlled harvest of wood with continuing replanting", I would expect a strengthener has sth to do with replanting or exclusion of anything that prevents replanting effort. However, D introduces quite an irrelevant idea. Although it's totally possible to introduce new idea in strengthening question type, the new idea should at least bears some relevance to the given argument.

I hope to be enlightened on this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 177
Send PM
Loss of the Gocha mangrove forests has caused coastal erosion, reducin [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
Tracy95 wrote:
Dear experts,

By POE, I could arrive at D.
But honestly I am not very convinced. As the given statement clearly identifies the source of income as "Given income from a controlled harvest of wood with continuing replanting", I would expect a strengthener has sth to do with replanting or exclusion of anything that prevents replanting effort. However, D introduces quite an irrelevant idea. Although it's totally possible to introduce new idea in strengthening question type, the new idea should at least bears some relevance to the given argument.

I hope to be enlightened on this.

The question is: "Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument that mangrove replanting will increase the Gocha cooperative's net income?"

The passage gives us one reason why mangrove replanting could increase the cooperative's net income: because the cooperative will receive income from a controlled harvest of wood with continuing replanting.

Quote:
D. Mangrove forests tend to increase the commercial fish populations in coastal fishing grounds.

• Mangrove forests tend to increase the commercial fish populations in coastal fishing grounds, and replanting helps reverse the LOSS of Mangrove forests.
  • So choice (D) actually DOES have something to do with replanting: we would expect replanting efforts to increase the size of the mangrove forests and thus increase the commercial fish populations -- something that would help the FISHING cooperative's bottom line.
  • Choice (D) gives us ANOTHER reason why replanting could increase the cooperative's net income, and that's exactly what we're looking for!

I reasoned it out in the following manner:

Premise: Loss of Mangrove tree ---causes---> Coastal Erosion, Reduced Fish Population ---causes---> partially fund for dredging and new shore activities.
Plan: Replant Mangrove tree
AIM: Increase net income (net income is almost same as net profit)
Also given, wood harvesting with continuing replanting will add to net income.

Pre-phasing: Look for options which can Strengthen that "Replanting Mangrove tree will increase net income."

Here, with the answer choice (D), though it is not direct but replanting will renew coastal fishing grounds which will remove the requirement of partial funding and thus contributing to net income.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4928 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Top Contributor
Loss of the Gocha mangrove forests has caused coastal erosion, reducing fish populations and requiring the Gocha Fishing Cooperative (GFC) to partially fund dredging and new shore facilities. However, as part of its subsidiary businesses, the GFC has now invested in a program to replant significant parts of the coast with mangrove trees. Given income from a controlled harvest of wood with continuing replanting, the mangrove regeneration effort makes it more likely that the cooperative will increase its net income.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument that mangrove replanting will increase the Gocha cooperative's net income?

A. The cost of dredging and shore facilities was shared with the local government.
B. The GFC will be able to hire local workers to assist with the mangrove replanting.
C. The GFC derives 10 percent of its revenue from salt-production facilities in an area previously cleared of mangroves.
E. A controlled harvesting of mangrove wood by the GFC would have little effect on coastal erosion.

Pre-thinking and POE gives here greater benefit.
For investment in the Gocha Mangrove Forest though cost of GFC is increasing but they the cooperative company will do if the it become sure about its future increase in the net income. So, I need pick a choice in which the net income of GFC will increase.

(A) and (B) It will help GFC to reduce cost in saving the magrove forest but doesn't say anything about increasing income.
C. GFC already has it.
D. YES, increased fish population will increase fishing ground and will lead increase net income of GFC.
E. This doesn't help GFC in increasing its income.

Ans. D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
The question is: "Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument that mangrove replanting will increase the Gocha cooperative's net income?"

The passage gives us one reason why mangrove replanting could increase the cooperative's net income: because the cooperative will receive income from a controlled harvest of wood with continuing replanting.

Quote:

• Mangrove forests tend to increase the commercial fish populations in coastal fishing grounds, and replanting helps reverse the LOSS of Mangrove forests.
  • So choice (D) actually DOES have something to do with replanting: we would expect replanting efforts to increase the size of the mangrove forests and thus increase the commercial fish populations -- something that would help the FISHING cooperative's bottom line.
  • Choice (D) gives us ANOTHER reason why replanting could increase the cooperative's net income, and that's exactly what we're looking for!

dearGMATNinjaTwo, and
GMATNinja, VeritasKarishma, AnthonyRitz, CJAnish, MartyTargetTestPrep,AndrewN,VeritasPrepBrian

I picked up B ,as I though B eliminate a labor force problem. then it is more likely to replant.
the conclusion is" the income from a controlled harvest of wood with continuing replanting" makes a more likely increase their net income.

so why D, another reason for increase net income, is correct ? I crossed off it because I thought it provide another reason for increase income. it weakens that the income from wood makes the increase income.

please help

thanks in advance.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [3]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:

Quote:

dearGMATNinjaTwo, and
GMATNinja, VeritasKarishma, AnthonyRitz, CJAnish, MartyTargetTestPrep,AndrewN,VeritasPrepBrian

I picked up B ,as I though B eliminate a labor force problem. then it is more likely to replant.
the conclusion is" the income from a controlled harvest of wood with continuing replanting" makes a more likely increase their net income.

so why D, another reason for increase net income, is correct ? I crossed off it because I thought it provide another reason for increase income. it weakens that the income from wood makes the increase income.

please help

thanks in advance.

As we noted in our previous post, the verbiage of the question is key here. It asks how we could “strengthen the argument that mangrove replanting will increase the Gocha cooperative's net income.” So, it’s the mangrove replanting, NOT the controlled harvest, that must increase the Gocha cooperative’s net income.

The conclusion is NOT that “the income from a controlled harvest of wood with continuing replanting makes an increase in net income more likely.” Rather, the conclusion is that “the mangrove regeneration effort makes it more likely that the cooperative will increase its net income.” The author SUPPORTS this conclusion by noting that a controlled harvest of wood will provide income. But the author does NOT conclude that income from the controlled harvest makes the increase in income more likely. Rather, he/she concludes that the mangrove regeneration effort will makes the increase in income more likely.

Both the question and the conclusion are important because they affect how we go about strengthening the argument. Now, we’re simply considering whether answer choices strengthen the idea that the GFC’s income will increase when they replant mangroves, whether that increase comes by the controlled harvest or some other way. With that in mind, here’s (B):

Quote:

That’s great that the GFC will be able to hire local workers, but what does it do for our argument? Maybe the GFC will have to pay local workers more, and it will hurt their profit margin. Or maybe the GFC will be able to pay local workers less, and it will help their net income. The problem is that (B) simply doesn’t give us enough information. You note that (B) maybe indicates that the GFC will be more likely to successfully replant mangroves. But the question assumes that mangrove replanting has taken place, and then asks what strengthens the argument that GFC’s net income will increase.

Because (B) provides no additional reason to believe GFC’s income will increase, we can eliminate it.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Loss of the Gocha mangrove forests has caused coastal erosion, reducin [#permalink]
Bookmarks
I'm not sure I understand why E is wrong here.

My train of thought is as follows:

If the controlled harvesting increases the impact of erosion then net income would fall because GFC would have additional expenses (dredging, more new facilities).

So by saying that the controlled harvesting does not impact erosion we know that costs are flat, but revenue is increasing, so net income would be increasing.

I picked answer (E).

I have two issues with answer (D) that I am struggling to understand.

1) How do we know that GFC even has a fishing operation? Just because of its name? That seems like a big assumption to make. It's not implausible to name a business something outside of the realm of its primary income source.

2) How do we know that increasing fish populations would increase net income? We don't know anything about the business of fishing. How do we know that fishing would have a positive margin and thus increased fishing would grow net income? Seems like a big assumption to make.

With (E) we know that revenue is increasing, and also that one form of cost is staying flat, so net income would be more likely to increase. Could someone help explain what is wrong with my train of thought?

Also, the OA says that option (E) is incorrect because we do not know the effect that coastal erosion has on GFC's net income. However the stem states that it has added additional costs for GFC for dredging and new facilities. Seems like those are direct expenses from coastal erosion that are lowering net income.

GMATNinja
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 666
Send PM
Kudos
Firstly, conclusion is about INCOME or in other words REVENUE not PROFIT which is revenue - costs.
So any option that talks about costs is completely irrelevant.

- Talking about costs while argument is about improving income

- Talking about costs and has no impact on income

- Can impact income "negatively". Reject. Or Can be a no-impact statement because we don't know if GFC is planning to reinstate mangroves in that salt-producing facility.

- Income is likely to increase. ACCEPT

- Talking about costs while argument is about improving income. Eliminating a possibility that a particular cost may not come up.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [4]

Send PM
Kudos