Last visit was: 06 Jun 2024, 06:04 It is currently 06 Jun 2024, 06:04
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 601 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you all very much.

Terrific:
The books I used for my prep were Princenton Review, Kaplan800, Kaplan Maths and Verbal workbook, OG11 and OG Quantitative review and Verbal review.
OG is the best book for GMAT currently available. I never used MGMAT books hence cannot comment on that.
Verbal was my nemesis too specially SC, but its not hard. It just requires a brush up of your basic grammar and lots of practice to identify the errors commonly tested in GMAT.
If you haven't, then please download the CR1000, SC1000 and RC1000 from this website. It is a sticky on the verbal forum.

Your quant score is superb. From my experience all I can say is that GMAT tests a lot of number properties. The idea is to take each question on its merit. After preparing for so long we are so used to look for traps that we forget what is being asked in the question. Beware of traps but don't get bogged down because you cannot see a trap.

If you could tell me what is your weakest link in verbal may be I can shed some more light.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Jay...thanks for the advice.
I think SC is problem area for me. In long sentences, I cant recongnize the differences between choices very well and thus pick the wrong answers. Also, I have just started going thru the various questions that are posted on GMAT club, so there are many rules that I dont know till now.

In general, I am facing speed problem in English. My reading speed is not too well thats why I miss some important things in RC and SC.

Well, as you said, I think it would be good to go thru the 1000 series questions, but I see that there is no explanation for them. In 1000 SC notes, I have done around first 70 questions, my accuracey is between 60 and 70 percentage. It seems tough to approach 90% accuracy.

Also, could you please advice me regarding how much time one should devote for each question in verbal.
41 Q and 75 min.
Avg comes out to be 8 questions per 15 minutes....Now a RC passage has normally 4 questions so for one passage it comes out to be 8-9 minutes, assuming that one devotes few seconds lesser to SC and CR questions that are small.
Although, in the exam, it is tough to see time for each and every question, I think it would be good to have something like this in mind before the exam. Could you suggest some strategy that would be helpful here.

Thanks.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
terrific wrote:
Jay...thanks for the advice.
I think SC is problem area for me. In long sentences, I cant recongnize the differences between choices very well and thus pick the wrong answers. Also, I have just started going thru the various questions that are posted on GMAT club, so there are many rules that I dont know till now.

In general, I am facing speed problem in English. My reading speed is not too well thats why I miss some important things in RC and SC.

Well, as you said, I think it would be good to go thru the 1000 series questions, but I see that there is no explanation for them. In 1000 SC notes, I have done around first 70 questions, my accuracey is between 60 and 70 percentage. It seems tough to approach 90% accuracy.

Also, could you please advice me regarding how much time one should devote for each question in verbal.
41 Q and 75 min.
Avg comes out to be 8 questions per 15 minutes....Now a RC passage has normally 4 questions so for one passage it comes out to be 8-9 minutes, assuming that one devotes few seconds lesser to SC and CR questions that are small.
Although, in the exam, it is tough to see time for each and every question, I think it would be good to have something like this in mind before the exam. Could you suggest some strategy that would be helpful here.

Thanks.

Regardig long sentences in SC, they are the easiest to pick faults. I too faced the same problem when I started with my preparation. The difference in the choices is few words here and there. But trust me if you keep your focus and read every word carefully you will spot the error. Long sentences have clear cut errors that GMAT tests. So don't despair just make it a habit to read the choices carefully.

True there are no explanations in SC1000 but the questions you get wrong try to understand why you got them wrong using the rules you have studied. If you still don't understand post the questions in the verbal forum I am sure the SC gurus here will tear them apart.

Also I am attaching a document here which I prepared when I had just started my preparations. There are many SC questions with answers and simple explanations from GMAT club members and myself. I don't know if it will be of any help.

Regarding timing, I followed a simple rule.
Time Left Question no. you should be at
------------ ------------------------------------
65 ------ 5
55 ------ 10
45 ------ 15
35 ------ 20
25 ------ 25
15 ------ 30
5 ------ 35

This was the time sheet I had develpoed for quant. In verbal there are 41 questions hence I just kept the basic format of the above time sheet and remember the fact that I should be at least 2 question ahead according to the time sheet.

In my experience, the SC and CRs were pretty straight forward to begin with. But after the 25th question, SCs and CRs are a bit involved.
You will get two short length passages, one medium length and one long passage. The longest passage will be around question 32-34. This is when most people are already short of time and hence they are bound to at best skip this passage. Timing is very important in such cases. You dont want to rush through the last passage. I personally had 20 mins on the clock when I saw the last passage. Breezed through it easily but then completely lost focus. Started thinking about the result after the exam and from question 38-41 took at least 15 mins.
Attachments

SC-GMATclub.doc [483.5 KiB]
Downloaded 186 times

Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Jay, Thank for your tips. Also, the doc that you sent is certainly useful for me. Thanks a lot for the same.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Proud GMATClub Allumni - Score 740 (Q49 V42) [#permalink]
congrats dude. thaz an awesome score

i'll really appreciate if u can help me out wid what sort of preparation material did u use.

jaynayak wrote:
Where do I start..........

Who says hard work doesnot pay.........

Forgive me If i seem incoherent here.......... too excited to think straight right now.

Here goes my story.

Gave my exam yesterday Aug 17th 2006.
Unofficial Score
740 (98 percentile)
Q 49(90 percentile)
V 42(95 percentile)

Lets first look at my Practice scores, IMO they can inspire other people like I was constantly inspired by the stories on this Forum.

PR Test1 - 660 (May'06)
PR Test2 - 640 (May'06)
Petersons Test1 - 660 (June'06)
Petersons Test2 - 760 (June'06)
Petersons Test3 - 660 (June'06)
MGMAT Test1 - 660(June'06)
MGMAT Test2 - 680(June'06)
MGMAT Test3 - 660(June'06)
Kaplan Test1 - 570 (June'06)
Kaplan Test2 - 610 (July'06)
Kaplan Test3 - 640 (July'06)
GMATPrep Test1 - 730(July'06)
GMATPrep Test2 - 750(July'06)
GMATPrep Test3 - 770(July'06) (Repeats)
GMATPrep Test4 - 760(Aug'06) (Repeats)
GMATPrep Test5 - 760(Aug'06) (Repeats)
GMATPrep Test6 - 770(One day before exam) (Repeats)

Test Experience

AWA
Never prepared for AWA per se. Did buy the ARCO's Real answers for
GMAT essay questions. Went through few arguments and issues just before the test day and to my luck it paid off. The book is good if you can devote some time to it.
AWA was good but the final score will tell how good was it.
The argument was comparing apples with oranges that is one company with another in a totally different field. For these type of questions, its imperative that its a comparison between apples and oranges and that should be highlighted while you pick out flaws in the argument.
Analysis of an issue was related to business hence I was able to put some of my experiences from my professional life.

QUANT

WARNING : DO NOT GET NERVOUS IN QUANT
To put everyone reading this at peace. Quant is very very similar to GMAT Prep software. Infact I am sure one question was straight out of GMATPrep and two or three questions had the same structure with different digits or numbers.
I was always confident in Quant and knew that on my day I can score a 50. But the minute I cam back to my seat after the break my heart started beating faster. Finished up with 7-8 questions in good time and then spend a little more time on further questions. By the time I reached the 20th question I was on time with my schedule( BTW I had my on schedule for example when 65 mins are left I should be doing 5th question, when 55 mins are left I should be doing 10th question,Similarily in decrements of ten minutes). But the twentieth question threw me off schedule and raised my tension levels where at one point I was not sure of anything. I was solving questions and marking answers like a zombie. At one time even I was prepared that I would be sitting in this room again in a months time. I do believe that it must be an expreimental questions because I must have used three different methods and all led to the same amswer which was not possible. Any ways looked at the time guessed it and moved on. I didnot encounter any standard deviation question, did encounter a lot of number theory problems and one probability question.

My advice: Take GMATPrep seriously. Keep an error log from GMATPrep and try to understand each and every question.GMATPrep is the best represntative of the score you will get in the real exam. And the most important thing don't tell Quant dominate you. With a little bit of hard work, you can easily dominate quant. Just keep telling yourself that its possible and practice. Going to little in the past here (for all those who think they are not good at quant). I was never good at quant to start with (talking about school days), I was always good at memorizing and till age 14 just memorized every answer in books and used to do maths. But one thing I remember that my father always told me....... either you can let maths dominate you, scare your brains out ......... or sit down and start dominating maths. Believe me it can be done. Maths is fun and most important its a non living thing and why should any non living thing scare us. Right?

Verbal

Verbal started with SC and as pointed out earlier by several members, SC deals more with understanding the meaning of the question and choosing the right answer on the basis of it.
SC was my weakest point. To be frank I used to be person who thought that as long as one person understands another it doesnot matter whether it is grammatically correct. But now I understand the importance of grammar not only in terms of GMAT but also normal life and the impression you create with good grammar.
When I started my Prep, I was very weak in SC. I bought Princeton Review's Grammar Smart. Its a small book and very basic to understand the basics of grammar you last read in High School.
To crack SC you have to understand what GMAT tests (for example the 8 errors we always talk about) and develop your own style to identify them.
CR was a bit involved but not hard. Though I am sure I messed up with some CR and SCs after question 36. After the 4th RC, I started so worrying about the score that will come after the exam that I could not concentrate on the those last few questions. I must have spend a good 20 mins from question 37-41.

Well that about it for my experience. Will share my Prep if anybody is interested.

I have a small proposal, for every member of GMAT Club. Like every college has its allumni, lets have a GMATClub Allumni Forum. A lot many members contribute to this club even after their GMAT but lot many become busy and can hardly make any time. Lets start a Forum for such members so that new members can can use their experience to do better.

Finally, I want to thank GMATClub and all its members. Without you and your encouragement this would have been difficult.

Special Thanks to..........(though we never interacted on personal basis but it was good to discuss answers with you)
PS_Dahiya....... Always answering questions and always modest.
Professor ......... I am sure you are a very pateint man in real life. Thanks
Buzzgaurav...... Short and crispy answers.
Kevincan ........ Keep posting your questions.... it is fun to solve them.
Praet ....... Thanks for this wonderful club.
and to all GMAT club members ........ you ahve made a difference.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Prep Material

OG 11
OG Quantitative guide
OG Verbal Guide
Kaplan 800
Kaplan Maths workbook
Kaplan Verbal Workbook
Princeton Review
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Jay,
Congrats!!!. It's a great Score. I have seen you answering well both in Quant and Verbal. This score is not surprise to me.

Hope you will share time, if possible, for the new members for sometime.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I sure will. Just a tad busy with writing essays now. But will soon devote time to the forums
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
[#permalink]
Congrats. Good stroy
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1482 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm extremely sorry for posting my congratulation to you this late :cry: :cry:
You're amazing, buddy!!! :-D . I wish i could have such a great verbal score ;)
Not forget to congrat you on becoming an official moderator of our forum as well ;)

ALL THE BEST TO YOUR APPLICATION!!! :-D
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
laxieqv wrote:
I'm extremely sorry for posting my congratulation to you this late :cry: :cry:
You're amazing, buddy!!! :-D . I wish i could have such a great verbal score ;)
Not forget to congrat you on becoming an official moderator of our forum as well ;)

ALL THE BEST TO YOUR APPLICATION!!! :-D

Thank you very much.

How are your applications faring?
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2 
Moderator:
Founder
37584 posts