Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:11 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 198
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: IIMA PGPX'22
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 129
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [1]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: 630 in GMAT .In search of figuring out what ought to be done next. [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi unflinchingSubhs,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day did not turn out better. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so if your consistent studies were really just for 3-4 weeks, then that might help to explain why you have not scored higher yet. You will need to learn, practice and hone a specific series of skills to earn that higher Score. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score higher.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) Did you use any other additional study materials besides the ones you listed?
2) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
3) What is your overall goal score?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Re: 630 in GMAT .In search of figuring out what ought to be done next. [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi unflinchingSubhs,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day did not turn out better. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so if your consistent studies were really just for 3-4 weeks, then that might help to explain why you have not scored higher yet. You will need to learn, practice and hone a specific series of skills to earn that higher Score. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score higher.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) Did you use any other additional study materials besides the ones you listed?
2) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
3) What is your overall goal score?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

Rich

Please find the answers below

Studies:
1) Did you use any other additional study materials besides the ones you listed? ---No only official guide + Gmat club forum questions + Manhattan SC guide
----I took around 4-5 CATs (free tests and GMAT prep test) and the scores for Quant would hover around 48-50 and for verbal 27-30.Over all around 50.
Goals:
3) What is your overall goal score?----My target score is around 700. Thats the average and median score for schools I am planning to apply.
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?-----I am looking to apply in Indian B' schools only (IIM A/B/C and ISB)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi unflinchingSubhs,

In my prior message, I asked about which dates you took your individual CATs - as well as the individual Scores (not the 'ranges') - since there are likely patterns in your performances and the more data that we can acquire, the easier it should be to recommend an appropriate Study Plan for you.

In addition, going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22065 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi unflinchingSubhs,

First off, Q49 is a very nice quant score, so give yourself some credit, my friend. Well done. Also, given that you studied hard for only 3 to 4 weeks and did not really follow a study plan, 630 is not all that bad. That said, to truly improve your GMAT verbal skills, moving forward, you need to follow a linear and structured study plan that allows you to individually learn each GMAT verbal topic, and then practice each topic until you’ve gained mastery.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi unflinchingSubhs,

In my prior message, I asked about which dates you took your individual CATs - as well as the individual Scores (not the 'ranges') - since there are likely patterns in your performances and the more data that we can acquire, the easier it should be to recommend an appropriate Study Plan for you.

In addition, going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Hello ,
Sorry for the late reply as I was busy this weekend taking some horse riding classes to shrug off the disappointment and start afresh :-D .
So I took MGMAT1 during July last week ; Gmat Test Prep 1 and Veritas Test 1 in Aug 1st week ;Veritas Test 2 and Gmat test Prep 2 in 2nd week of August .
On a average, I can dedicate 3 hours on weekdays and 7 hours in weekends.

Also I take this opportunity to thank you for helping me out :) .
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi unflinchingSubhs,

First off, Q49 is a very nice quant score, so give yourself some credit, my friend. Well done. Also, given that you studied hard for only 3 to 4 weeks and did not really follow a study plan, 630 is not all that bad. That said, to truly improve your GMAT verbal skills, moving forward, you need to follow a linear and structured study plan that allows you to individually learn each GMAT verbal topic, and then practice each topic until you’ve gained mastery.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your encouraging words and suggestions :) . I am optimistic that I would be able able to improve all areas of my preparation and post a pleasant experience next time around :)
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22065 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
unflinchingSubhs wrote:

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your encouraging words and suggestions :) . I am optimistic that I would be able able to improve all areas of my preparation and post a pleasant experience next time around :)

My pleasure.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi unflinchingSubhs,

With about 5 weeks of study time, you could potentially raise a 630 to a 700+, but you will have to be really efficient with your studies going forward. With a V27, you would have lost significant points in all 3 major Verbal categories (RC, SC and CR), so the bulk of your time should be spent on learning and practicing the proper Verbal Tactics.

Based on everything that you have described, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Verbal Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients finish that Study Plan in under a month, so it would fit your schedule perfectly. During that time, you'll also be able to access any of the Quant resources that interest you. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an account.

If you have any additional questions, then just let me know.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi unflinchingSubhs,

With about 5 weeks of study time, you could potentially raise a 630 to a 700+, but you will have to be really efficient with your studies going forward. With a V27, you would have lost significant points in all 3 major Verbal categories (RC, SC and CR), so the bulk of your time should be spent on learning and practicing the proper Verbal Tactics.

Based on everything that you have described, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Verbal Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients finish that Study Plan in under a month, so it would fit your schedule perfectly. During that time, you'll also be able to access any of the Quant resources that interest you. We have a variety of free resources on our site (https://www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an account.

If you have any additional questions, then just let me know.

Rich

Thanks ...will take a look.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37312 posts