Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:01 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Re: Stanford Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
AjaxFan

Very exciting profile, but I agree you will need to deliver good proof of numeracy, be in via test scores or grades. And need to bump up your GMAT overall, depending on where in Western Europe you hail from. Might consider doing a mock GRE to see how that comes out.

Really urge you to check out Wharton Lauder; you would be a great fit with that program. I realized there is some overlap with your masters, but they have a separate quota for Wharton Lauder so your odds are stronger if there is a good fit. People love it because you have a close-knit group within the larger context of Wharton. Dual degree is a good way to go for you.

AjaxFan wrote:
Hey all,

I would be interested to know how you would assess my odds.I have slightly changed my profile to maintain privacy from my real life situation.

GMAT: 660 Q44, V36
Nationality: W. European country
Degrees: University of Oxford MSc in subjected related to international development - 71% (~4.0 GPA)
University of Durham BA in Social Sciences - 68% (~3.7 GPA)

Work experience: International Development for big W.European aid donor, in a series of different roles as a development economist (2.5 years) with a diplomatic posting, youngest in mission.

Other work covered several african countries.

Other work experience includes with another government ministry and strategy consulting in development - 1 year.

Goals: Set-up my own international development business combining all my skills.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Stanford Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi Both,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm consolidating my reply in one post to avoid spam.

Your analysis seems to reinforce what I thought upon meeting them in London. My other schools applied include Chicago Booth Civic Scholars, Wharton, Harvard and Columbia.

I tried to up my GMAT but struggled with it, it's the first time in my life I've struggled with an exam! I took the Executive Assessment for Columbia and scored a 166, which I'm led to believe is v. High. I've referenced this on all my apps in the additional information. I know both Booth and Wharton use it as a filtering mechanism for their EMBAs.

I am slightly nervous about my odds, I've actually got several Economics courses throughout my degrees, and work as one. I think my direct manager would have referenced data skills in her recommendation, not sure she would explicitly say the words quant though.

Fingers crossed!

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
AjaxFan wrote:
Hi Both,

Your analysis seems to reinforce what I thought upon meeting them in London. My other schools applied include Chicago Booth Civic Scholars, Wharton, Harvard and Columbia.

I tried to up my GMAT but struggled with it, it's the first time in my life I've struggled with an exam! I took the Executive Assessment for Columbia and scored a 166, which I'm led to believe is v. High. I've referenced this on all my apps in the additional information. I know both Booth and Wharton use it as a filtering mechanism for their EMBAs.

I am slightly nervous about my odds, I've actually got several Economics courses throughout my degrees, and work as one. I think my direct manager would have referenced data skills in her recommendation, not sure she would explicitly say the words quant though.

Fingers crossed!

I feel your work experience and educational background will work in your favor. But you need to write an authentic essay that differentiates you from other do-gooders. The admissions officers are definitely trying to find out which do-gooder is really passionate and genuinely interested in helping the world from those who are simply trying to impress them.
Send PM
Expert Reply
AjaxFan wrote:
Hi Both,

Fingers crossed!

Your manager doesn't need to use the word "quant." He or she needs to provide an example that shows you handling quantitative work with excellence.

Originally posted by Accepted.com on 13 Jan 2020, 22:43.
Last edited by Accepted.com on 15 Jan 2020, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Edit: Double posted by accident.

Originally posted by AjaxFan on 14 Jan 2020, 01:15.
Last edited by AjaxFan on 14 Jan 2020, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Again, thank you guys. You have given me a lot to think about whilst I preemptively prepare for interviews from next week; even if I don't get one, I am sure you have suggested ways to upskill myself that can only be positive in the long-run.

I spent a phenomenal amount of time on the essays so hopefully my passion will come out; probably close to 250 hours across my 17 essays. I am only doing the course for the value-add towards my direct goals, it will be great if it's supported but if not, I guess it wasn't meant to be. It's been a very resource intensive process, but I think it's helped me clarify my goals along the way.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
AjaxFan wrote:
Again, thank you guys. You have given me a lot to think about whilst I preemptively prepare for interviews from next week; even if I don't get one, I am sure you have suggested ways to upskill myself that can only be positive in the long-run.

I spent a phenomenal amount of time on the essays so hopefully my passion will come out; probably close to 250 hours across my 17 essays. I am only doing the course for the value-add towards my direct goals, it will be great if it's supported but if not, I guess it wasn't meant to be. It's been a very resource intensive process, but I think it's helped me clarify my goals along the way.

250 hours? 17 drafts? Wow. I hope you get in. All the best!
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
AjaxFan wrote:
Hey all,

I would be interested to know how you would assess my odds.I have slightly changed my profile to maintain privacy from my real life situation.

GMAT: 660 Q44, V36
Nationality: W. European country
Degrees: University of Oxford MSc in subjected related to international development - 71% (~4.0 GPA)
University of Durham BA in Social Sciences - 68% (~3.7 GPA)

Work experience: International Development for big W.European aid donor, in a series of different roles as a development economist (2.5 years) with a diplomatic posting, youngest in mission.

Other work covered several african countries.

Other work experience includes with another government ministry and strategy consulting in development - 1 year.

Goals: Set-up my own international development business combining all my skills.

It's great that you are starting this process early, as you'll have ample time to position yourself for the R1 deadlines (where you'll have the best shots at admission for top-tier programs like GSB).

You have a really cool non-traditional candidacy. Let's analyze it from several different angles:

1. Grades & academic success: this appears very strong. Good grades in challenging disciplines from strategic universities (Oxford!).
2. International experience: You’ve got this aspect in the bag! It seems like you have lots of good experience in emerging markets in particular, which top schools will love. Wharton’s Lauder dual masters program in International Studies should definitely be on your radar as this program has lower GMAT scores and puts a premium on international experiences.
3. International student status: For top U.S. schools like GSB, being categorized as an "international" applicant (e.g., non-U.S.) student, generally isn't helpful, because most top schools keep international students capped at around 40% of their student body and so many great applicants apply from all over the world.
4. Leadership: I’d love to learn more about what “youngest in the mission” means - but there could be a really cool application essay in there somewhere that demonstrates your urgency and ambition to succeed.
5. GMAT: From this cursory overview of your profile, this appears to be the weakest part of your candidacy. If you get accepted to GSB with a 660 GMAT score, you will be one of the lowest accepted scores your year. Last year, HBS accepted a 650, so things like this *DO* happen, but in general you want to be near or exceed the GMAT for a school to have a good shot. For GSB, the GMAT average hovers around 730. I'd try to take the GRE, which GSB also accepts, and may be a better fit for you. Many candidates find that they do better on the GRE than the GMAT. If you can get your score up past 700 for the GMAT or the GRE equivalent score, combined with your unique non-traditional candidacy, you could have a *chance* at a top-15 MBA program if you apply to a lot of them to maximize your chances at each one.
6. Post-MBA goals (both immediate and long-term): Schools want candidates who they are sure will be successful in their chosen field. This is one big question mark right now from your candidate profile. “Setting up an international business combining all of my skills” sounds like a good long-term goal, and probably one that’s imminently possible given your prior experience, connections and expertise. However, a successful b-school essay will show HOW you will do that, starting with what you’ll do in the immediate and medium-term (what sorts of internships will you be requiring for, what is your career goal immediately post-MBA).

If a free consultation with an admissions strategy consultant to discuss strategic positioning would be helpful to you, feel free to sign up for that here: https://admissionado.com/free-consultat ... sultation/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Nationality: Brazilian (27y)
Undergrad Information: Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration from a non-top School in Brazil (I considered this to be my weakest point)
(i) Reasonable GPA for Brazilian students
(ii)Elected Finance Director of the academic directory and;
(iii) Career Counseling Program participant (selected by academic performance)
GMAT: 730 expectation (I will apply next month)
Work experience and leadership:
Current: I worked as CVC & PE Associate for a big local bank in Latam (Board observer in 2 diff. companies 1. tech startup 2.Public Real estate company) and CFA chaterholder. I'm also act as Professor on the subjects of Portfolio Management for CFA level 1 candidates (spare time). Former (i) Portfolio manager (big bank) ; (ii) Equity Derivatives Trader (global bank); (iii) Global Graduate Analyst (global bank). I worked in london as Global Graduate Analyst (3months)
Leadership/Volunteer Activities
CFA Institute volunteer: financial classes to Federal Police (comparable to FBI or so) (group of ~80 delegates)
CFA Institute volunteer: financial classes to SUSEP (main regulator of insurance market & pension plans in Brazil)
Successfully ran two half marathons
Co-founder of project that promotes digital environment awareness
Volunteer in project that promote financial education in public schools for low-income students

My main doubt is wether my profile is too "conservative" compared with GSB's ideal candidate profile. I am also did not study in college in top B-School in Brazil, playing agaisnt me.
I can give emphasis in my work as CVC demonstrating my engagement with the startup world, but true be spoken I do not have entrepreneurship experience and I did not took too much risk in my career (mainly working in big banks). I would like to hear from you guys opinions/suggestion to improve my application? Maybe a exec course in Stanford might help (specially with education gap) ? Really confuse!
Thank you in advanced!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Rcand92,

What do you want to do post-MBA?

Linda
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Rcand92,

You have an interesting profile; however, without knowing your post-MBA plans (short- and long-term), it is difficult for us to evaluate your chances, and provide feedback on how you can improve.

If you are interested in having a one-on-one conversation and discuss your goals, please reach out. Otherwise, I look forward to reading your response on this platform.

Susan

Rcand92 wrote:
Undergrad Information: Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration from a non-top School in Brazil (I considered this to be my weakest point)
Current: I worked as CVC & PE Associate for a big local bank in Latam (Board observer in 2 diff. companies 1. tech startup 2.Public Real estate company) and CFA chaterholder. I'm also act as Professor on the subjects of Portfolio Management for CFA level 1 candidates (spare time). Former (i) Portfolio manager (big bank) ; (ii) Equity Derivatives Trader (global bank); (iii) Global Graduate Analyst (global bank). I worked in london as Global Graduate Analyst (3months)
CFA Institute volunteer: financial classes to Federal Police (comparable to FBI or so) (group of ~80 delegates)
CFA Institute volunteer: financial classes to SUSEP (main regulator of insurance market & pension plans in Brazil)
Volunteer in project that promote financial education in public schools for low-income students

My main doubt is wether my profile is too "conservative" compared with GSB's ideal candidate profile. I am also did not study in college in top B-School in Brazil, playing agaisnt me.
I can give emphasis in my work as CVC demonstrating my engagement with the startup world, but true be spoken I do not have entrepreneurship experience and I did not took too much risk in my career (mainly working in big banks). I would like to hear from you guys opinions/suggestion to improve my application? Maybe a exec course in Stanford might help (specially with education gap) ? Really confuse!
Thank you in advanced!
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
Rcand92 wrote:

Thank you in advanced!

Congratulations on your CFA charter! You seem to check many of the boxes that GSB wants to see - international experience (your work in London, fluency in at least 2 languages), academic excellence (despite not attending a top-tier school in Brazil, it does sound like you outperformed your peers in university plus you have the CFA), employer pedigree (you likely have some good blue-chip names on your resume and that you’ve functioned in the buy-side at these firms, which is generally regarded as the most prestigious), age (at 27, you are in the ideal window of 26-28 that most top-tier US b-schools, including GSB, want to see. It’s a good idea to apply R1 of 2020 rather than waiting if you can help it), and GMAT (although you haven’t taken it yet, an estimated 730 would be good since that’s around GSB’s average. However, if you are a finance person and an international non/US applicant, know that the GMAT averages are a little higher from your demo and you should try to shoot for over 730 if possible).

While it’s true that you may not have much entrepreneurial experience, and it’s true that many GSB students *do* have some impressive entrepreneurial chops, that matters less if what you are planning on doing post-MBA *isn’t* entrepreneurial-oriented. What is it that you’d like to do immediately post-MBA and long-term? This is a very important part of your strategic positioning and candidate eval that you don’t build out in this profile. GSB’s acceptance rates are notoriously low, so to set yourself apart, you need to know what you want to do and make a water-tight case for how your goals are imminently achievable based on your prior successes / experience combined with the Stanford MBA. Stanford wants people who know what they want to do, not “soul-searchers” who aren’t sure, or, worse, won’t be placed immediately after graduation and will bring down average compensation and employed numbers for the school. Depending on your prior experience and your role as a board member / operational leader, I think you could potentially make a good case for VC post-MBA. Would also be a good fit but may have the AdCom wondering what you need an MBA for since you are already doing that. What industries are most represented in your portfolio companies / deal history? If you have a lot of natural resources experience (thinking you might given your geography) and want to go back into that space, that could be interesting to GSB since that’s an underrepresented industry demo for them. Your profile is “conservative” but it’s not “too conservative” unless your most-MBA plans are a radical departure of what you’ve already done.

Strategic positioning (especially what you want to do with your life, and why you have the chops to do it, and how GSB will get you there), will be extremely important, as will be an extremely well-written and from-the-heart essay package. If talking to an admissions consultant about what strategic positioning might work best for you might be helpful, feel free to reach out here: https://admissionado.com/free-consultat ... sultation/
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SiaAdmissions wrote:
Hi Rcand92,

You have an interesting profile; however, without knowing your post-MBA plans (short- and long-term), it is difficult for us to evaluate your chances, and provide feedback on how you can improve.

If you are interested in having a one-on-one conversation and discuss your goals, please . Otherwise, I look forward to reading your response on this platform.

Susan

Rcand92 wrote:

Thank you in advanced!

Hey Linda,

Post MBA goals:
ST goal>> work at reputable global PE/VC company
LT goal>> after 4-5y create my own investment management firm

Kind Regards
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Accepted wrote:
Rcand92,

Linda

Hey Linda,

Post MBA goals:

Kind Regards
Send PM
Expert Reply
Rcand92 wrote:
Accepted wrote:
Rcand92,

Linda

Hey Linda,

Post MBA goals:

Kind Regards

I think your previous experience when combined with a Stanford MBA makes sense. You have a plan and a firm foundation for achieving it. You also anticipate a competitive GMAT, have a high GPA, strong work experience, good community service and a nice international aspect to your candidacy.

Applying to Stanford GSB makes sense. Applying only to Stanford GSB does not. Also consider Haas, Harvard, MIT Sloan, Wharton, Columbia, Chicago.

Try to apply Round 1.

For Accepted's Stanford specific resources, please see:

Stanford GSB Essay Tips
Get Accepted to Stanford Graduate School of Business, a recorded webinar.

Linda
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi,

Here is my profile for Stanford ( looking for 2021)
Gender- Male Indian
10th-78%
12th-66%
Bachelor of Engineering - 8.6(CGPA) in Mechanical Engineering from Deemed University in India
Work Experience - 4.9 years .Working as Data Analyst in TCS in India. Having Experience of leading team of 10 people for more than 2 years. A active member of corporate social responsibility(CSR) and the active member of toastmaster club and other club that are working for NGOs that mainly deal with student education locally. There is regular interaction with client and management people from company and outside but no international exposure yet.
GMAT- Giving in FEB end(First attempt)

Certification credential - I am Charter Financial analyst(CFA) Level 3 Candidate.
National Institute of Securities Markets (NISM) Certified in Derivative and Market
Certified in Financial Modelling.

Courses for MBA- Finance

Please let me know the expected GMAT score also that i should aim for.

any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks and Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi all, I'd be grateful if someone here could evaluate my admission chances at Stanford GSB:

Indian male, 31.

Education: I joined medical college after graduating from high school, but dropped out within a year. Right now I've got a bachelor's degree in history from a top 10 Indian liberal arts college, a MSc in economic history from LSE, and a MA in business and economic Journalism from Columbia University (with a full-ride scholarship). While I have indeed spent quite some time in universities, I'm mostly self-taught (I've read over 500 books in the last decade)

GMAT: 690 (Q42, V41)--I know my quant is super-low. Could have done far better judging by my mock scores, but that's the score I have in hand right now.

Work experience: 5 years of full-time experience as a journalist by the time I join classes. I haven't had any promotions at work, mainly due to conflicts regarding "what is the right thing to do" with multiple bosses. I'm too opinionated and straightforward for my own good, I guess.

I currently work at India's second largest English daily as an editorial page writer commenting on the economy, markets etc. Started my career in a business newspaper in Delhi performing a similar role. I have also interned at a couple of news organizations in the US (namely WSJ and Business Insider).

Extracurriculars: Nothing earth-shattering. I held some leadership positions in college and did some decent work. Also participated in various clubs throughout my educational journey.

I do, however, share an exciting story in the 250-word optional essay: about how I helped rescue my family from the brink of bankruptcy (we were going to lose our house to the bank and I had to return from the US to take over my father's loss-making business and salvage some money out of it after he suffered a serious stroke)

I also talk about my family background (my parents are school dropouts coming from rural India) and how it has influenced my participation at work in the personal background section of the application.

Post-MBA plans: I want to start a news business that's run based on some very unconventional ideas.

I discuss my post-MBA business plans in detail in my second essay. My first essay (on what matters most to me) is centered on my pretty harsh personal experiences as a journalist that have driven me to this decision. I'm fairly confident my essays are going to be strong.

I know I'm an oddball candidate. So please be candid about my chances. I don't want to be lured by false hopes. Thank you very much :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  21   
Moderators:
Stanford and Tuck Moderator
57 posts
Stanford and Rotman Moderator
72 posts