Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [30]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [1]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Send PM
Re: The Immigration Act of 1917 halted immigration from most Asian [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
lnm87 wrote:
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-

lnm87 wrote:
The Immigration Act of 1917 halted immigration from most Asian countries into the United States and imposing a literacy requirement for immigrants entering the country.

A. states and imposing
B. States, imposing
C. States but imposed
D. States by imposing
E. States and imposed

Choice A: This answer choice uses the simple continuous tense "imposing" to refer to an event that concluded in the past; in doing so, this answer choice also breaks parallelism with the verb "halted". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice B: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence; by modifying the clause "The Immigration Act of 1917 halted..." with the phrase "imposing a literacy requirement..." this answer choice implies that the imposition of literacy requirements was a result of the halting of immigration from Asian countries rather than a second effect of the Immigration Act of 1917. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice C: This answer choice changes the meaning of the sentence; by using the conjunction "but" rather than the conjunction "and", this answer choice introduces a sense of contrast between the two effects of the Immigration Act of 1917 that is not required. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice D: This answer choice changes the meaning of the sentence; by utilizing the phrase "by imposing", this answer choice implies that the "Immigration Act of 1917" halted immigration from Asian countries by imposing a literacy requirement. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice E: This answer choice maintains proper tense use and conveys the intended meaning of the sentence. Thus, this answer choice is correct.

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Continuous Tenses on GMAT", you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Thanks for responding promptly.

I was confused between B and D after eliminating A and C for reasons as you mentioned and E for changing the meaning. It looked like D conveyed original meaning properly and E changed the meaning.
Among B and D, though initially inclined towards B, I thought it's not making sense to say that imposition of literacy requirement was the result. However, grammatically it is fine. Finally, I chose D as i understood that imposition of literacy requirement was the reason behind halting the immigration. Also, D is grammatically correct only that meaning is changed.

How is it possible to know which meaning is right and which is not??

Hello lnm87

Please find below, an explanation to clear up your doubts.

The intended meaning of the sentence will always be present in the original sentence. In this case, the meaning of the sentence is that the Immigration Act of 1917 did two things; it halted all immigration from Asian countries into the United States and it imposed a literacy requirement for immigrants. This meaning is made clear from the use of the "and" conjunction; the error in Option A is one of tense.

Hope this helps.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
still not sure why D is wrong. gramatically it looks fine. IMO, the law stopped the immigration because it introduced the literacy requirement and this helped in halting of the immigrants. why is D wrong?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hello, everyone. I am never afraid to stick my neck out if it means contributing something meaningful to the community. I hope my thoughts may help others on this question.

To be clear, I agree that the split between answer choices (D) and (E) is unfair and would not appear as such on the GMAT™. If we strip the sentence down to its essential components, we are left with something akin to the following:

(D) [Legislation] halted immigration by imposing a requirement [of some sort].

(E) [Legislation] halted immigration and imposed a requirement [of some sort].

In the former option, it is perfectly legitimate to use an adverbial phrase to explain how legislation may have caused immigration to come to a halt. There is nothing wrong with saying that non-physical entities can do something. See, for instance, this official question in which landfills are prohibited from doing something.

That said, there is no way to argue against (E). The parallelism between the two actions is the sort of feature that can prove decisive at times. Note that, once again, the legislation is performing both actions; we simply understand those actions to be outcomes of some unnamed group having written and passed such legislation. Speaking to the original sentence, it holds no particular significance in the underlined portion, so we cannot point to that part of (A) and say that it serves as a template for the correct answer. The whole point of SC is to select the best iteration from among the five choices presented on the very part that is underlined, so anything underlined is negotiable.

If I were to see (D) and (E) on a third-party quiz, I would choose (E) as the safer option—you never want to chase could-be-true answers when an unassailable option is available, and the GMAT™ prefers a parallel option whenever possible—but I would also throw my hands into the air and rant about the integrity of such questions. You cannot beat official questions for Verbal practice, period. Even if you have managed to comb through every single one, you can go through the questions again, pick them apart, and learn more about SC than you can from poring over any unofficial question set.

I call this question a spade, with all due respect to the authors. I think the point was to emphasize parallelism, but the urge to get that point across may have jeopardized the overall aim to create a GMAT™-like question.

- Andrew
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
shivangiindore wrote:
still not sure why D is wrong. gramatically it looks fine. IMO, the law stopped the immigration because it introduced the literacy requirement and this helped in halting of the immigrants. why is D wrong?

Hello shivangiindore,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can resolve your doubt.

Option E is a safer choice than Option D, as it is more in line with the meaning conveyed in the original sentence.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [2]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
shivangiindore wrote:

It is my suspicion that this is an unfair question. It requires too much specific contextual knowledge. However, we can still practice the interpretation of *meaning* here.

Quote:
The Immigration Act of 1917 halted immigration from most Asian countries into the United States by imposing a literacy requirement for immigrants entering the country.

This version of the sentence says the literary requirement was the method by which the law halted immigration.

Quote:
The Immigration Act of 1917 halted immigration from most Asian countries into the United States and imposed a literacy requirement for immigrants entering the country.

This version of the sentence says the act did two things: halted immigration of most Asian countries, AND imposed a literary requirement for immigrants entering the country.

Let's consider some simpler sentences:

In his biathlon, he swam half a mile by running a half marathon.

In his biathlon, he swam half a mile and ran a half marathon.

Here, the second must be correct. The first is not technically grammatically wrong, it just says that running is the method he used to swim... that makes no sense. Now consider this pair:

She trained for his marathon by running 20 miles every week.

She trained for his marathon and ran 20 miles every week.

Here the FIRST sentence must be right. The '20 miles a week' is clearly how this person trained for her marathon. The second sentence says two things she did, but their relation to each other is not nearly as strong.

So in this sentence, we need to ask if the literacy requirement is HOW immigration from Asian countries was halted. Again, this requires a lot of outside knowledge--too much for a GMAT question, I think--to say 'no.'

Immigration being halted from 'most Asian countries' means you could not immigrate from certain *countries*. The only way a literacy requirement could stop immigration from a whole country is if the entire country was not literate in English. That just won't be the case. More likely the law simply halted immigration from that country--"No immigrants allowed from Malaysia"--and also imposed literacy requirements for all immigrants.

If the sentence said "The Immigration Act of 1917 prevented most Asian immigrants from entering into the United States by imposing a literacy requirement for immigrants entering the country" we might have a different story. A literacy requirement could conceivably stop most IMMIGRANTS. But it would not halt immigration from COUNTRIES.

Again, I think this is too much outside knowledge for an official question. But do note--I'm using some pretty rock-solid GMAT SC skills to pinpoint *why* it's not a fair question. In order to use my outside knowledge to explain why D's meaning isn't quite right, I have to be super specific on what D's meaning *is*: these 'literacy requirements' someone halt immigration from WHOLE COUNTRIES, as if EVERYONE IN THE COUNTRY IS ILLITERATE IN ENGLISH. My experiential knowledge tells me there's no way that's feasible.

I also would note, I disagree with some of the explanations in this thread. For example, while it's common to say an answer is wrong because it 'changes the meaning of the sentence,' that's not really why an answer is wrong. The original sentence's meaning sometimes *must* be changed. Better is to say the meaning of a sentence is ILLOGICAL or clearly doesn't capture the sentences INTENDED MEANING (and intended meaning comes from the *whole question*, not just the sentence as written).

I also disagree that the GMAT 'prefers' parallelism. There are times, and questions, where grammatically correct parallelism is incorrect because the meaning within the structure is wrong. See the questions above with the 'biathlon' and 'marathon.' Parallelism is right in one and wrong on the other, and it's purely meaning that determines which.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts