Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30797 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Re: Scores 590 in third attempt! Need guidance immediately. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
kreel11 - Thank you for posting the data. One thing that I can say right off the bat is that your ability is a lot higher than a V28. I am saying this based on the ability scores I see in Scholaranium. Now, does that automatically translate to you having a bad day .. probably .. but I need more data to be 100% certain. here are the possible scenarios that I would investigate:

1. Nearing your test date, you did not practice a lot on the e-GMAT platform. As a result, these ability numbers were not representative of your ability on the test day. Note, ability
2. You did not apply the e-GMAT methods on the test day. This may sound crazy but trust me many students do this.
3. You tried a new timing strategy on the test day, which again impacted how you approached questions.
4. You truly had a bad day - the questions on test day were from topics that were weak in. Note, given your ability scores, this is a highly unlikely scenario (less than 0.1% probability in my experience)

The actual answer could be a combination of the above...

The good news

1. Your overall ability is much better than V28. We can help you get to a V35 in about 10-12 days.
2. We can pinpoint the exact cause if you share your ESR and your e-GMAT id.

Send those over in a PM/email (refer to this thread) and I would be happy to recommend a path forward.

-Rajat
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
egmat wrote:
kreel11 - Thank you for posting the data. One thing that I can say right off the bat is that your ability is a lot higher than a V28. I am saying this based on the ability scores I see in Scholaranium. Now, does that automatically translate to you having a bad day .. probably .. but I need more data to be 100% certain. here are the possible scenarios that I would investigate:

1. Nearing your test date, you did not practice a lot on the e-GMAT platform. As a result, these ability numbers were not representative of your ability on the test day. Note, ability
2. You did not apply the e-GMAT methods on the test day. This may sound crazy but trust me many students do this.
3. You tried a new timing strategy on the test day, which again impacted how you approached questions.
4. You truly had a bad day - the questions on test day were from topics that were weak in. Note, given your ability scores, this is a highly unlikely scenario (less than 0.1% probability in my experience)

The actual answer could be a combination of the above...

The good news

1. Your overall ability is much better than V28. We can help you get to a V35 in about 10-12 days.
2. We can pinpoint the exact cause if you share your ESR and your e-GMAT id.

Send those over in a PM/email (refer to this thread) and I would be happy to recommend a path forward.

-Rajat

Thanks Rajat. I have already mailed my esr with other details on the egmat support email Id. My username is Rahulzlpr.

Now as per your comments I will.honestly tell you when it comes to quant I did not leave out any topic and this time around focused on my weak areas such as p&c mixtures and probability. But I dont know how the questions somewhat felt lengthy and I was just not able to feel.confident while attempting. Also i could not refer the timing blocks much that I had made on the initial pages for both quant and verbal though felt a little comfortable compared to quant this given that my quant is much stronger than verbal.

I did not take any extension of egmat after december 1 when my second extension expired since I thought I have the notes made so I could refer those and I wasn't able to select a test date close to that time period due to other commitments. So it's like I did not revise the course slides once I had completed it the first time but based on my notes I tried to mimic the strategies to the best I could.

Posted from my mobile device
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Expert Reply
@kreel - thanks for this information. Give me till midday today to get back to you with recommendations and the plan forward.

-Rajat
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi kreel11,

I’m sorry to hear how things went with your GMAT.

Assuming that you took your official practice exams under realistic testing conditions, the results show that, on a good day, you are capable of scoring higher than 590. Thus, it’s quite possible that nerves, stress, tiredness, or a combination of all three negatively affected your test-day performance. However, it’s also possible that you have some lingering weaknesses that were exposed on test day. Although I’m unsure of how you prepared, it’s possible that, in your preparation, particularly in verbal, you did not really learn to do what you have to do in order to score high on the actual GMAT. Rather, you picked up on some patterns that were effective in getting you relatively high scores on practice tests. So, for you to hit your score goal, your preparation, particularly for verbal, probably needs to be more complete, meaning that you have to go through the various types of GMAT questions carefully to find your exact weaknesses, fill gaps in your knowledge, and strengthen your skills.

For verbal specifically, you have to become more skilled at clearly defining the differences between trap choices and correct answers. Otherwise, you will get stuck guessing between two choices or be surprised to find that you incorrectly answered questions that you thought you answered correctly. Becoming more skilled in this way takes carefully analyzing all of the answer choices to lots of verbal questions to develop an eye for the logical differences between the choices. In other words, you have to go beyond answering practice questions and reading explanations to doing deep analysis of questions to learn to see everything that is going on in them.

Lastly, you may find my article with more information regarding
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT helpful.

Feel free to reach out with further questions.

Good luck!
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Scores 590 in third attempt! Need guidance immediately. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
kreel11 - here is the overall analysis of your ESR and well as recommendations for the path forward to 700. My findings:

1. You underperformed in Verbal, especially in CR and RC.
2. Your Verbal score is ability limited.
3. Your Quant score is both timing and ability limited.
4. You can get to a 700 with about 120 hours of effort.

-Rajat
Manager
Manager
Send PM
egmat wrote:
kreel11 - here is the overall analysis of your ESR and well as recommendations for the path forward to 700. My findings:

1. You underperformed in Verbal, especially in CR and RC.
2. Your Verbal score is ability limited.
3. Your Quant score is both timing and ability limited.
4. You can get to a 700 with about 120 hours of effort.

-Rajat

Rajat,

Thanks for the analysis provided on my ESR. So would I need to purchase the egmat verbal course again and revisit the entire video content. Actually it took me a lot of time to finish the course the first time around and attempt scholaranium. I would need advice on how to finish the modules quickly I.e. would I need to attempt the questions in quizzes, application files again?
The concern here is to get done with the revision of the course in the least possible time since I will have to purchase the course for the third time so that's also an investment.

In addition could you advice how to approach quant now. I have the Manhattan books and OG. Shall I go through them and attempt questions in those books again? Note: I did not do each and every question of og this time just picked up questions from my weak areas and relied on gmat Club tests and mocks for quant.

e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Scores 590 in third attempt! Need guidance immediately. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
kreel11 - You would need to purchase the e-GMAT course again. Remember, had you simply extended your course in November, you likely would have succeeded on the GMAT and would have saved $300+. Having said that, your goal now should be to get a high score and secure a scholarship.

Write to the e-GMAT support team asking for an extension. That would cost you a lot less. Also, send them this analysis. They will send you instructions for either Revision A or Revision B. You will get a precise learning plan for the same.

Quant: While we can formulate a personalized plan using e-GMAT's quant course (i.e. provide metrics, define the sequence of study, etc), it's difficult for us to formulate a strategy with similar precision using third party books. I think you should ask MGMAT's team to help you with the same.

-Rajat
Manager
Manager
Send PM
egmat wrote:
kreel11 - You would need to purchase the e-GMAT course again. Remember, had you simply extended your course in November, you likely would have succeeded on the GMAT and would have saved $300+. Having said that, your goal now should be to get a high score and secure a scholarship.

Write to the e-GMAT support team asking for an extension. That would cost you a lot less. Also, send them this analysis. They will send you instructions for either Revision A or Revision B. You will get a precise learning plan for the same.

Quant: While we can formulate a personalized plan using e-GMAT's quant course (i.e. provide metrics, define the sequence of study, etc), it's difficult for us to formulate a strategy with similar precision using third party books. I think you should ask MGMAT's team to help you with the same.

-Rajat

Rajat,

I have mailed my ESR analysis along with other details to support team at egmat. Please see if I can get a prompt reply since I need to start the prep asap in order to appear again soon.

GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts