Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:31 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4560 [5]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [5]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Re: Many parents rigorously organize their children’s activities during pl [#permalink]
Many parents rigorously organize their children’s activities during playtime, thinking that doing so will enhance their children’s cognitive development.
>>(many)organize  Enhance CD

But this belief is incorrect.
>>Conclusion

To thoroughly structure a child’s playtime and expect this to produce a creative and resourceful child would be like expecting a good novel to be produced by someone who was told exactly what the plot and characters must be.
>>can’t expect a good novel (becoming creative and resourceful child) if what the plot and characters must be (parents have organized child play)
>>parents organize child play can’t become CR

Statement1: parents organize child play can enhance CD ( premise)

Argument by author:
Conclusion: parents organize child play can NOT enhance CD ( premise)
Author : because : parents organize child play cant become CR (additional statement)

Prethinking for weakening:
Find : that parents organize child play still can enhance CD
Author conclusion based on: parents organize child play can’t become creative

To weaken his concluding thought:
can say that creative is not a necessary condition, still child can be CD
There could be other factors that still can enhance CD.

(A) It takes for granted that if something is conducive to a certain goal it cannot also be conducive to some other goal.
>>Irrelevant

(B) It overlooks the possibility that many children enjoy rigorously organized playtime.
>> enjoy has nothing to do if organize can being some value to enhance the CD

(C) It takes a necessary condition for something’s enhancing a child’s creativity and resourcefulness to be a sufficient condition for its doing so.
>> It takes a necessary condition for something’s enhancing= organize child play is enhancing child’s creativity and resourcefulness is SUFFICIENT CONDITION
>> there is nothing mentioned that sufficient condition can be necessary condition to enhance a child cr
>>irrelevant.

If the choice has been that
Organize child play is necessary condition to enhance child CR then it would have just weakened the author premises but would not have any effect on whether child enhance CD or not.
Still the choice would have been irrelevant

(D) It fails to consider the possibility that being able to write a good novel requires something more than creativity and resourcefulness.
>>good novel and creativity and resource fullness are irrelevant

(E) It fails to consider the possibility that something could enhance a child’s overall cognitive development without enhancing the child’s creativity and resourcefulness-CORRECT
>> matches our prethinking
To weaken his concluding thought:
creative is not a necessary condition, still child can be creative
There could be other factors that still can enhance CD.

@egmat@egmat : i hope the analysis is right.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Many parents rigorously organize their childrens activities during pl [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Many parents rigorously organize their childrens activities during pl [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts