Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:16 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1441 [1]
Given Kudos: 994
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-18-2019
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Retake a 770 for scholarships? [#permalink]
Kudos
mchris36 wrote:
First off, I want to say that this site has been immensely helpful for me the last few months, and I’m so grateful for everyone who contributes to this community. I hope to help out more now that my preparation is (maybe) over.

With that being said - I took the GMAT for the first time today and scored a 770 (V45 Q50). While I know that a 770 is a great score, I can’t help but be a little disappointed, considering I scored 780, 790, and 790 on my last 3 official practice exams. Additionally, for the first time, I ran out of time on both Quant and Verbal and thus had to guess on one or two at the end.

Given my practice exam scores, I am somewhat confident that, if I took the exam again, I’d likely be able to score above a 770. However, I’m not sure if it’s worth the extra time / effort / money, especially given I may score the same or worse.

My primary concerns are admissions and scholarships; I am an ORM who will be applying to HSW plus Booth and Kellogg in 2-3 years (just graduated, working in consulting). Will an extra 10-20 points make a tangible difference in admissions and/or scholarship money?

Any insight welcome - thanks in advance!!

Posted from my mobile device

Hi, you have a great to get admit in any B-School. Being an young applicant you will have chances to get 100% scholarship. So, focus on your profile building in the next 2-3 years.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [1]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
mchris36 wrote:
First off, I want to say that this site has been immensely helpful for me the last few months, and I’m so grateful for everyone who contributes to this community. I hope to help out more now that my preparation is (maybe) over.

With that being said - I took the GMAT for the first time today and scored a 770 (V45 Q50). While I know that a 770 is a great score, I can’t help but be a little disappointed, considering I scored 780, 790, and 790 on my last 3 official practice exams. Additionally, for the first time, I ran out of time on both Quant and Verbal and thus had to guess on one or two at the end.

Given my practice exam scores, I am somewhat confident that, if I took the exam again, I’d likely be able to score above a 770. However, I’m not sure if it’s worth the extra time / effort / money, especially given I may score the same or worse.

My primary concerns are admissions and scholarships; I am an ORM who will be applying to HSW plus Booth and Kellogg in 2-3 years (just graduated, working in consulting). Will an extra 10-20 points make a tangible difference in admissions and/or scholarship money?

Any insight welcome - thanks in advance!!

Since you have just started your professional life, you better get the experience. With 2-3 years of experience or more you yourself would know that 770 is a great score. So, rather lingering on GMAT take a break from it and focus on building your application in these years.

Consider 770 as icing on the cake since you would not need to replan because of GMAT Score.
Just enjoy a beer on the beach for a a while. :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1256 [1]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats on scoring 770.

Getting higher gmat means higher chance of getting scholarship definitely. Thus, no regret to reattempt gmat.

If your next score is lower or equal to 770, you can immediately cancel it and use your existing score (but it has to be offline gmat). The schools will not know your cancelled score at all.

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22062 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
First off, great job with 770! Regarding a retake, if you feel you have a good shot of 780 or 790, then I don’t see any reason not to give it a shot. If you don’t score higher, then you can just move forward with your 770. Once you make a decision either way, feel free to let us know.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
First off, great job with 770! Regarding a retake, if you feel you have a good shot of 780 or 790, then I don’t see any reason not to give it a shot. If you don’t score higher, then you can just move forward with your 770. Once you make a decision either way, feel free to let us know.

Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning towards retaking it in a few weeks - I really think that I could do a little better without putting in much more time. I have quite a few official PQs left, so I think I'll try to do the rest of those and really focus on the timing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
Kudos
mchris36 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning towards retaking it in a few weeks - I really think that I could do a little better without putting in much more time. I have quite a few official PQs left, so I think I'll try to do the rest of those and really focus on the timing.

I would say to retake as well. Given that you know you didn't perform as well as your mocks, another try would be good. I am going for a high GMAT score for scholarship applications too, and if I was in your situation I would definitely retake.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
CustardBuns wrote:
mchris36 wrote:

I would say to retake as well. Given that you know you didn't perform as well as your mocks, another try would be good. I am going for a high GMAT score for scholarship applications too, and if I was in your situation I would definitely retake.

Thanks for the reply! Would you recommend canceling the score? I still have a few hours to do so.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
Kudos
mchris36 wrote:
CustardBuns wrote:
mchris36 wrote:

Thanks for the reply! Would you recommend canceling the score? I still have a few hours to do so.

I am still early in my preparation so I am not too sure how the system works! Sorry!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V27 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
First of all congratulations.

Why would you cancel the score before taking another GMAT? Also if you took online GMAT your scores wont reach the target schools unless you send it, right?

mchris36 wrote:
CustardBuns wrote:
mchris36 wrote:

GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts