Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 16:19 It is currently 14 May 2024, 16:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3084 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3084 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
batchgmat wrote:
Thanks Rhyme!

However, my problem is that the leadership story I am talking about involves IT stuff (kinda low level). Basically coordinated and led a migration. So MKTNG/ACCTNG/FINANCE/ENTREP/etc can't be used.

What would you suggest?

I'd argue that your not digging deep enough. Why was this it migration effort being undertaken? Think larger than the immediate task. Was it related to a larger effort for corporate compliance? Maybe it was related to sarbanes oxley?

If you want to PM me the essay or specifics about what the project was I can come up with ideas.

I still think theres always a way to tie it back.

If you are migrating data from one server to the other, why did you? Was it related to performance? Why was that an issue? Was finance running reports from that machine? Maybe you thought that if only you could understand the reports at a deeper level, maybe you could find a better solution.

If all else fails, there's the catchall fallback. Whatever the project, whatever the reason, there is ALWAYS some business reason behind it. Look past the immediate task, look past the major project, there's always some tie in to a larger company objective. I've almost never found something that doesn't. If it truly doesn't, then you need to ask yourself if you want to be talking about something that is TACTICAL and not STRATEGIC. That's the number one challenge of IT of course - everything seems to be tactical, but if you dig deep enough, there's a strategic element - and thats the element you want to focus on. Think big picture vs day to day. If this makes no sense, let me know.

Maybe your eyes only see to the immediate technical problem - "we migrated because of performance issues" - but why were those performance issues a problem in the first place? What was the business function of the data? If you had been able to better understand the business functions that needed this information, you might have been able to better understand the best solution.

If its a migration of 98 to XP its sarbanes oxley related maybe, so you can talk about trying to learn Sarbanes Oxley and realizing you needed a much deeper understanding of different corporate functions to fully grasp the full picture - not just sarbanes as it relates to IT, but how it relates to the firm as a whole. Sarbox is a great little bit of crap because it lets you say things like "With a company wide impact across many divisions - finance, marketing, legal, compliance, human resources, etc - I realized that if I could better understand the core of these functions, I could have likely developed a better solution."

And close with a tie in to the MBA:

"This is why I need an MBA education: to understand and bring together the needs of different areas of an organization."

If you can't figure out what the strategic element was to your story, ask your boss who funded the project, or ask him directly if it's related to a larger company goal. Read the online press releases and try and see what they talk about and how you did might relate.

I know this is vague, but its hard to be specific about a firm and project I know nothing about. Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Rhyme!

You have said some golden stuff. I PMed you my essay so you could get a better idea of what I did/didn't do.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]