Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1434 [0]
Given Kudos: 582
Send PM
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5743 [0]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 140 [2]
Given Kudos: 151
Concentration: Marketing, Sustainability
Send PM
Re: Odds for early 30's candidate at choice schools? [#permalink]
Kudos
SirBarker, you and I seem to be sailing in the same boat. It came as a relief to know that i ain't the only one who's running late to chase my dream.

good luck to you, following in this thread for useful inputs.
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi SirBarker,

Your stats seem good and you should target a better GMAT score considering your overall profile and your choice of schools (especially Wharton). I say, chase a 720+. Now for your work-experience, whatever I can see, it seems good. You have been in analytical roles and in managerial roles as well. So, I think you can bring some leadership experience and impact. Since your prior career was not much stable, you need to bring very well-defined post-MBA goals. Your goal of consulting makes sense but you need to define it more as to the field of consulting, the companies with which you may want to work for, your long term aspirations etc etc. Now, the important part, your age and overall experience are not as great as your competitors in the same pool for your choice schools but I believe your story is very strong. We had a candidate whose credentials were weak but then her background was, too, very difficult like yours and hence we focused on bringing an A+ story. So, I want to give you hope, based on our experiences, that you have a shot at these schools but make sure to make it an intelligent shot (with the right choice of schools). We would love to hear your story and guide you further. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg,
Community Manager, MBA and Beyond

On behalf of,
Shantanu Sharma,
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
Linkedin

With more than 8 years of experience spanning across entrepreneurship and intrapreneurship, Shantanu has worked across the globe as a Procurement Manager, Product Manager (Marketing, Operations, Payments and Risk/ Fraud), Growth Consultant, eventually unravelling his love for helping candidates with their MBA application as a Coach. Shantanu started coaching applicants, with his team, right after he graduated from INSEAD in 2017. Have a look at his success stories and some real essays of his clients
SirBarker wrote:
Hello Gents and Ladies,

If you could advise me if I have a solid shot or not at my choice schools. I greatly appreciate the work y'all do in guiding.

Profile:
Sex: M
Race: Caucasion
Undergrad: Penn State World Campus
GPA: 3.81 unweighted

I will graduate in 2021. I am tentatively looking to complete my GMAT in Winter 2021, I have taken offical practice tests with 2 months of light study and scored 670-682. I am aiming for 3 months intense study, 700+.

Work Experience
Worked for a medical software company in Baltimore, MD as an CMS analyst. My role was to help develop and implement systems to help in the aid of research development, policy devlopment, and employee performance. My role was analyze performance and implement strategy to improve function.
Worked for a telecommunications company in a district manager position as a direct supervisor of area managers, employee relations, and developing sales strategy. Was responsible for all quota in my area from Northern California to Southern Oregon.
Both of these were achieved without a bachelor's degree. Other than this, I worked a lot of retail/entry level sales.

Personal Life
I know I am very late, it isn't because I was lazy though. I am very hard working, always have been. I just didn't have the most stable home life, I was raised with an opioid addict mother and alcoholic father with abusive tendencies. I am also gay, when I came out at 15 I was emancipated from my family home and kicked to the streets. I had to fend for myself since 15, I've lived all over the country because of this. I also had two much younger sisters whom I came home to help take care of at 19. They would spend weeks with me but i was unable to get adoption to keep them with me because of my age and income salary. I took care of them until they were 18-20, putting my life on hold to ensure I helped give them a shot at life. Both are in college now, one is becoming a nurse and the other wants to work in pyschology.

Choice Schools
My Halo school is UPenn: Wharton. I would love to live in Pittsburgh or Philly, this is the best school in the area and one of the best in the nation. I doubt I have the credentials but its my obvious choice for a halo school.

My top 4 choices after would be Tepper, McDonough, Johnson, and Katz.

Why Now?

I've achieved in helping my sister surmount odds and get ahead in life, they are going to good schools and I relate this to my intervention. My family is recovering but still has many socio-economical issues to overcome. I've challenged myself to improve year over year, from homelessness to being the first in my family to graduate college from a reputable school. I've wanted to be in Consultalting since high school and was on track for a 4.0 GPA before being kicked out. What I love about consulting is the consistent challenge, the strategy involved in solving complex scenarios with bright minded people, the constant shift in the type of work i am doing, and the travel component.

I know my resume and age might be an issue, what do you think my chances are of getting into my choice schools?

Thanks,

SirB.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi SirBarker,

This is Kate from mbaMission. Thanks for sharing your profile. I am extremely impressed with how you dedicated yourself to caring for your sisters and overcame so many challenges. You faced atypical circumstances and Admissions will understand that. I'm not worried about your age, as you have good reasons for why you delayed your studies. Plus, business schools admit a wide range of ages (28 is often the average). While your work experience is less typical, it does seem like you have evidence of analytical skills and leadership. Your GPA is excellent too.

I think the big area to improve is GMAT. If you can get 700+ then the 4 schools you listed seem doable to me. Wharton would for sure be a reach, but if you could get 720+, and communicate your story in a compelling way, then I think it's more possible. (I would still apply there with a 700, but it's harder to predict your chances with a score that's about 30 points under their median).

Hope that helps, and good luck!
Kate

SirBarker wrote:
Hello Gents and Ladies,

If you could advise me if I have a solid shot or not at my choice schools. I greatly appreciate the work y'all do in guiding.

Profile:
Sex: M
Race: Caucasion
Undergrad: Penn State World Campus
GPA: 3.81 unweighted

I will graduate in 2021. I am tentatively looking to complete my GMAT in Winter 2021, I have taken offical practice tests with 2 months of light study and scored 670-682. I am aiming for 3 months intense study, 700+.

Work Experience
Worked for a medical software company in Baltimore, MD as an CMS analyst. My role was to help develop and implement systems to help in the aid of research development, policy devlopment, and employee performance. My role was analyze performance and implement strategy to improve function.
Worked for a telecommunications company in a district manager position as a direct supervisor of area managers, employee relations, and developing sales strategy. Was responsible for all quota in my area from Northern California to Southern Oregon.
Both of these were achieved without a bachelor's degree. Other than this, I worked a lot of retail/entry level sales.

Personal Life
I know I am very late, it isn't because I was lazy though. I am very hard working, always have been. I just didn't have the most stable home life, I was raised with an opioid addict mother and alcoholic father with abusive tendencies. I am also gay, when I came out at 15 I was emancipated from my family home and kicked to the streets. I had to fend for myself since 15, I've lived all over the country because of this. I also had two much younger sisters whom I came home to help take care of at 19. They would spend weeks with me but i was unable to get adoption to keep them with me because of my age and income salary. I took care of them until they were 18-20, putting my life on hold to ensure I helped give them a shot at life. Both are in college now, one is becoming a nurse and the other wants to work in pyschology.

Choice Schools
My Halo school is UPenn: Wharton. I would love to live in Pittsburgh or Philly, this is the best school in the area and one of the best in the nation. I doubt I have the credentials but its my obvious choice for a halo school.

My top 4 choices after would be Tepper, McDonough, Johnson, and Katz.

Why Now?

I've achieved in helping my sister surmount odds and get ahead in life, they are going to good schools and I relate this to my intervention. My family is recovering but still has many socio-economical issues to overcome. I've challenged myself to improve year over year, from homelessness to being the first in my family to graduate college from a reputable school. I've wanted to be in Consultalting since high school and was on track for a 4.0 GPA before being kicked out. What I love about consulting is the consistent challenge, the strategy involved in solving complex scenarios with bright minded people, the constant shift in the type of work i am doing, and the travel component.

I know my resume and age might be an issue, what do you think my chances are of getting into my choice schools?

Thanks,

SirB.
Moderator:
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
1452 posts