Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:17 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
Re: On the tournament roster are listed several tennis students, most all [#permalink]
We never say 'most all of' to describe a quantity just short of 100%. We say 'almost all of'. Eliminate A and B.

C is incorrect because it uses 'which', which is incorrect when describing people. A 'which' that doesn't follow a comma should also raise suspicions.

Between D and E, E is the winner. Well is an adverb that modifies an action, whereas good is an adjective that modifies a person, place, or thing.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 488 [0]
Given Kudos: 252
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41 (Online)
WE:Business Development (Venture Capital)
Send PM
On the tournament roster are listed several tennis students, most all [#permalink]
EducationAisle wrote:
vishaldhawan wrote:
Shouldn't it be "who" instead of "whom"?

Whom/ Who is acting as the subject = Whom/Who play as well as ....

Hi Vishal, a handy rule to remember is:

Pronouns always take the object form, when used as part of a prepositional phrase.

Since of who/whom is a prepositional phrase, we should be using the object form whom.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Pronoun usage in Prepositional Phrases. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.

This is really hard for me... Is there a way to understand this difference without knowing objects and prepositional phrase, etc?
Maybe a meaning way...

Can any one help me? Maybe VeritasKarishma, who has one of the simplest explanations
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
On the tournament roster are listed several tennis students, most all [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
plaverbach wrote:
EducationAisle wrote:
vishaldhawan wrote:
Shouldn't it be "who" instead of "whom"?

Whom/ Who is acting as the subject = Whom/Who play as well as ....

Hi Vishal, a handy rule to remember is:

Pronouns always take the object form, when used as part of a prepositional phrase.

Since of who/whom is a prepositional phrase, we should be using the object form whom.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Pronoun usage in Prepositional Phrases. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.

This is really hard for me... Is there a way to understand this difference without knowing objects and prepositional phrase, etc?
Maybe a meaning way...

Can any one help me? Maybe VeritasKarishma, who has one of the simplest explanations

Think of what you will put in the blanks in the sentences below:

_______ (They/Them) will come to the party.

All of _____ (they/them) will come to the party.

Why?
In the second sentence, 'of' is a preposition and 'of them' a prepositional phrase. So you use objective form 'them'. Similarly you use "some of them", "a few of them" etc.

It is the same with 'who/whom' here. You will use 'all of whom', not all of 'who'.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4928 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Re: On the tournament roster are listed several tennis students, most all [#permalink]
Top Contributor
Gnpth wrote:
On the tournament roster are listed several tennis students, most all of which play as good as their instructor

A. most all of which play as good
B. most all of whom play as good
C. almost all of which play as well
D. almost all of whom play as good
E. almost all of whom play as well

We need an adverb to describe or modify the verb "play". "Good" is an adjective. An adjective can't modify a verb, an adjective modifies a noun or pronoun. "As well as" is an adverb, which is perfect to modify the verb "play"

A, B, and D are Eliminated. C has which, it can't refer persons. C is eliminated. The correct answer is E.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7629 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM