Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 61
Schools: Rotman '24
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 600 Q46 V25
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11667 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Approach for RC [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi taorishrushti,

To start, you do NOT need to be a 'fast' reader to score at a high level on the GMAT, but you do have to work at a reasonable pace, 'attack' each prompt that you face (re: actively read, look for patterns, etc.) and take a reasonable amount of notes. Many GMATers end up losing points because they try to read too fast (or "skim" text, which is also not a good idea) - and that actually leads to additional problems (re: those GMATers almost always have to reread the entire prompt - sometimes multiple times - which is the actual CAUSE of their pacing problems). Reading the question first is a strategic way to start off a CR prompt, but it's usually not beneficial on RC.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Approach for RC [#permalink]
Expert Reply
taorishrushti wrote:
I've often read everywhere speaking about 3 Approaches for RC-
1. Reading the questions first
2. Deeply reading the passage first
3. Skimming the passage in first few seconds and then solving question by question referring back to the passage every time a new question comes

Approach 1 suits only when the questions are fact based, which are rarest to be found in GMAT, so this fails!
I thought approach 2 would work wonder for me, but then while solving it, I realized missing some points while reading the passage, which then appears in the question and compels me to refer back to the passage, consuming a lot of time plus nullifying the motto of the approach.
Approach 3 - This one then I tried. But took a lot of time to get acquired to this, even I ain't now, for which I'm here.
What exactly does skimming mean? How much time one should give to the initial skimming? I exactly thought that this is the one meant for me as I wanted this every time. But then this required a well practised disciplined approach, which comes by practice I guess. But how to start with this? Moreover, every time I try this approach, I end up loosing minutes to skim, probably because I don't know what exactly is skimming.

Please help me out!

Hi taorishrushti,

I would not suggest you to do skimming as the GMAT RC questions test your inferential skills. And skimming is not recommended for detailed based questions also as you will not be reading the passage for every question. The right process approach RC questions is to:

• Read the passage
  • Understand the purpose of the each sentence
  • Draw inferences from each para
  • Summarize the para once you finish reading it
  • Derive the main point by summarizing the summaries of individual paras
  • If you come across any details while reading the passage, skip them for the moment as you can always come back to that specific part if you need to solve detail based questions
  • Once you finish reading the passage, read the question stem
  • Go to the relevant area of the passage and make sure you draw the right inferences
  • Eliminate answer choices carefully (either irrelevant, out of scope or opposite choices)

This is how you should read a passage and solve the questions. If you learnt the right methods to read the passage and to eliminate answer choices, then I would suggest you to practice a few passages without any time limit. Focus on solving the passages using the right methodology. Once you start getting a decent accuracy, then you can take timed quizzes.

Hope it helped. Feel free to get in touch if you need any further help with the study strategy.

Click here to schedule a call
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi taorishrushti,

Since you are looking for RC help, here is a helpful article:

GMAT Reading Comprehension Tips: Top 8 DOs and DON’Ts

If you have any additional questions, feel free to reach out.
GMAT Club Bot