Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:10 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [40]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Corporate finance, social entrepreneurship
 Q50  V36
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6429 [15]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT Date: 11-23-2015
GPA: 3.6
WE:Science (Other)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [5]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools:ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Send PM
Re: In order to lessen the risk of accidents caused by careless driving [#permalink]
I pick E.

The premise states that the information about the plan is only going to be sent to houses in and around Colvin. For this plan to work, those people who receive the information have to be relavant to the situation. In other words, they have to be driving through that particular intersection in order to care about the information that is been sent to them.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Re: In order to lessen the risk of accidents caused by careless driving [#permalink]
E as the correct choice has to include the drivers living in and around Colvin who drive through this intersection. A is limited in its scope by including only the drivers involved in accidents.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [0]
Given Kudos: 176
GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
Although the option I selected was correct, it was a fluke.

My understanding of the argument:
1. There is an intersection where a lot of accidents take place.
2. City plans to install equipment to monitor the traffic in the morning and evening.
3. This plan of monitoring and recording stuff is supposed to stop accidents.

We need to select an option that supports the fact that the plan will work. And then the options are five numbers - speed limit, percentages. Can someone please explain how these numbers would help towards the plan to be successful?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
I was originally confused by D because I interpreted it to mean that we would have the future statistics. Clearly the future stats would be most useful in determining success. But D is actually only referring to current stats which isn't relevant. What if it's 100%? What if its 1%? It doesn't tell us anything.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
skbjunior wrote:
In order to lessen the risk of accidents caused by careless driving and jaywalking at a busy intersection, the town of Colvin plans to install electronic equipment for monitoring and recording the traffic at this intersection during the morning and evening rush hours. Detailed information about this plan has been published in local papers, announced on the radio, and sent directly to every home in and around Colvin.

Which of the following pieces of information would be most helpful in predicting how well the plan described above will work?

(A) The percentage of people living in and around Colvin who have been involvedd in accidents at the intersection.
(B) The opinion of the plan held by the majority of people living in Colvin.
(C) The speed limit for the stretch of road on which the intersection is found.
(D) The percentage of cars that drive through the intersection that are involved in accidents.
(E) The percentage of drivers who drive through this intersection that live in and around Colvin.

Need to more emphasize on the distribution of detailed plan around Colvin...2 best contenders are A and E while in A scope is limitted.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [0]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hello GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma,

In option E, how will it "lessen the risk of the # of accidents due to jaywalking and careless driving". I somehow can't logically relate how information from Option E will help to solve the problem stated in the arguement

Request your help. Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 409
Send PM
I think a, d and e are strong contenders. Could you please xplain reasoning behind the correct choice e
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
Send PM
Kudos
(A) The percentage of people living in and around Colvin who have been involvedd in accidents at the intersection.
-Doesn't help
(B) The opinion of the plan held by the majority of people living in Colvin.
-Doesn't matter
(C) The speed limit for the stretch of road on which the intersection is found.
-Could be, but we need more elaboration of this point, so this isn't it.
(D) The percentage of cars that drive through the intersection that are involved in accidents.
-Percentage could help monitor repeat offenders, but doesn't help the plan.
(E) The percentage of drivers who drive through this intersection that live in and around Colvin.
-The plan is announced to the public. If a large percentage of people from out of town drive through this intersection, then the plan won't work because those out of town drivers wouldn't be aware of the announcement. So, if percentage is low, plan will work. If not, it won't.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 390
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Send PM
now what if all this plan/detailed info (announced on radio, local news papers ....) is not received by the majority of the drivers in Colvin ( drivers who don't live in the city but only commute for work for example)
the plan won't be received by the majority of the drivers and thus will fail to reduce the accidents .
That's what option E is all about.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [1]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
In order to lessen the risk of accidents caused by careless driving [#permalink]