Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:54 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 488 [0]
Given Kudos: 252
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41 (Online)
WE:Business Development (Venture Capital)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1921 [1]
Given Kudos: 628
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Send PM
Re: What time do i need to go to 550 from 410 ? [#permalink]
Kudos
ragabforever821 - First red flag is that you wish to improve your GMAT score by 140 points in just 10 days, a situation that is highly unlikely. You need to come up with a better plan. Also, I request you to understand the GMAT scoring algorithm properly. The best idea would be to take another practice test, and, using your performance, you can decide when to reschedule the test appointment, for it makes no sense to push it by an arbitrary duration.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
What time do i need to go to 550 from 410 ? [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC

Here are my answers to your appreciated questions

1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
overall i guess total of 2 months, 8 hours a week including attending classes

2) What study materials have you used so far?
only gmat official guide 2018

3) What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for this CAT/mock?
31Q 16v

4) Is your overall goal score 550 or something else?
550 or above .. 550 is fine

5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

Memorial university in Canada, fall cohort .. September 2021

Thank you for your support
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.15
WE:Accounting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
ragabforever821 wrote:
Hello :)

I took the first practice test today and i scored 410 , did not answer the last question in the exam though - ran out of time!

i have 3 questions that i need your help with

1- if i even answered the last question wrong, what is the odds that my score could be better ?
2- what time do i need to get from 410 to 550 ? noting that my exam is 10 days from now?
3- should i reschedule my exam and have more time to study or go and take the exam anyway to live the whole experience ?

Your help is highly appreciated as i'm getting really stressed right now

Thanks

Mohamed

Hi Mohamed,

• The last few questions don't matter much. Your score mostly depends on how well you performed in the initial quarters. So, even if you answered the last question, I don't think there would be much difference in your score.
  • That's a very subjective question. Time depends on your effort, the number of hours you dedicate and the resource you use to study. Honestly, I don't think 10 days would be sufficient for you to improve your score by more than 100 points.
  • I think rescheduling is the better option because there's no point wasting $250 when you know you are not going to perform well. Instead, I would suggest you to invest the same amount on a good resource, study well, give mocks and take the test only when you get your desired score in the mocks.

I personally used GMATWhiz online course and improved my score from 570 to 720. And make sure you do your prep in the right way. I think you are struggling with the concepts of a few topics. So, make sure you go through them, learn them perfectly, learn the right methods and practice questions. You can go through my debrief to understand the approach in a better way.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/my-journey-f ... l#p2648110

Hope it helped. All the best :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Mohamed,

Many GMATers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so if you've been studying for just 2 months (and only about 8 hours a week), then you should not expect to have mastered any of the content or Tactics of the Exam just yet.

Based on the information that you provided in your last post, I have a few follow-up questions:

1) When you mention "attending classes", are those GMAT classes? If they are, then what is the source of these classes and did these classes come with any additional study materials?
2) Are you planning to take the At-home GMAT or are you planning to take your GMAT at a Test Facility?
3) What specific application deadline are you facing? Are there any later application Rounds for the Program that you are interested in?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC

1) When you mention "attending classes", are those GMAT classes? If they are, then what is the source of these classes and did these classes come with any additional study materials?

Yes those are GMAT classes, focusing on the concepts and how to tackle the questions by giving examples and stuff, cant judge if the are good enough or not ! the source of these classes are the official gmat, the instructor of the verbal mentions Barrons as one of his resources

2) Are you planning to take the At-home GMAT or are you planning to take your GMAT at a Test Facility?

Test facility, I do not want to put myself in the stress of unstable internet connection and stuff

3) What specific application deadline are you facing? Are there any later application Rounds for the Program that you are interested in?

Now as i can not get to my score now, the deadline will be by June as the admission rep of my university indicated

Ready for any answers and thank you for your help
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
What time do i need to go to 550 from 410 ? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Mohamed

1. Your score likely would have been higher; however, not substantially.

2. I think you should give yourself at least another 3 months in order to improve by 140 points.

3. Yes, I would reschedule your exam. At a bare minimum, you want to be in your "score range" when you take your GMAT.

Lastly, here are a few helpful articles:

The Phases of Preparing for the GMAT

How Long Should I Study for the GMAT?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Mohamed,

I've sent you a PM with some notes and additional questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
ragabforever821 wrote:
Hello :)

I took the first practice test today and i scored 410 , did not answer the last question in the exam though - ran out of time!

i have 3 questions that i need your help with

1- if i even answered the last question wrong, what is the odds that my score could be better ?
2- what time do i need to get from 410 to 550 ? noting that my exam is 10 days from now?
3- should i reschedule my exam and have more time to study or go and take the exam anyway to live the whole experience ?

Your help is highly appreciated as i'm getting really stressed right now

Thanks

Mohamed

Hi Mohamed,

I think it would be better for you if you can reschedule your test. I say this because such a significant improvement from 410 to 550 seems unlikely in just 10 days. To get the experience of the test, you can take a couple of mocks. You don't have to spend $250 for the same.

Having said that, I can suggest you better if you can tell me how you approached GMAT till now, the way you are solving questions and your weak areas. This information will me understand your concerns and guide you in a better way. We can have a detailed discussion regarding the same over a call. You can get in touch with me using the below link.

Click here to schedule a call
GMAT Club Bot