Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:21 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Schools: HEC LSE MFin "22
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.15
WE:Accounting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1434 [1]
Given Kudos: 582
Send PM
Re: Seeking suggestion: 510 in Kaplan test (Diagnostic) [#permalink]
Kudos
You can review all the concepts mastered already, and you can also go through the video lessons of gmatninja:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/all-gmat-nin ... l#p2396353
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jarbit,

Your original 510 was a solid initial CAT score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 550 most years). If that Score is several months old at this point, then we have no idea what your current 'ability level' is; as such, you should plan to take a NEW, FULL-LENGTH CAT sometime soon (perhaps this weekend. Make sure to take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, if you'll be at a Test Center, then wear a face mask, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can discuss the results and how you might best proceed with your studies.

Before I can offer you any additional advice, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What type of study routine have you been following? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) Have you used any other study materials besides the ones you mentioned?

Goals:
3) Is your overall goal score 720 or something else?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Seeking suggestion: 510 in Kaplan test (Diagnostic) [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi jarbit,

Your original 510 was a solid initial CAT score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 550 most years). If that Score is several months old at this point, then we have no idea what your current 'ability level' is; as such, you should plan to take a NEW, FULL-LENGTH CAT sometime soon (perhaps this weekend. Make sure to take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, if you'll be at a Test Center, then wear a face mask, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can discuss the results and how you might best proceed with your studies.

Before I can offer you any additional advice, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What type of study routine have you been following? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) Have you used any other study materials besides the ones you mentioned?

Goals:
3) Is your overall goal score 720 or something else?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Hello EMPOWERgmatRichC,

Thank you for your response to my post and inspiring comment, Rich. As suggested and mentioned in my post, I will give a mock test a really soon in the way you mentioned and report the score in this thread.

Studies:
1. Currently, I am investing 3-4 hours (Pomodoro technique) in every weekday and 5-6 hours in weekends and solving around 5-6 questions per topic. So, you could say that I did not set a specific study routine yet.
2. Not yet.

Goals:
3. Yes. My dream is to achieve 720 or beyond.
4. I am targeting to apply for 2021 fall. Rotman, Schulich, Smith, and Ivey are my top favourites till now.

BTW, every time I see a comment of yours in other posts, I get motivated by the line "GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made". Hope to forge a GMAT assassin within me.

Jarbit

Originally posted by jarbit on 27 Jan 2021, 21:09.
Last edited by jarbit on 27 Jan 2021, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi jarbit,

If you're not planning to apply to School until later on this year, then you have given yourself plenty of time to continue studying and work on your applications - which is great! Since you know the specific Schools that interest you, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

That next CAT/mock result should provide some really important information in terms of what you should be focused on during this next stage of your studies, but it's worth noting that a CAT is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to learn the necessary Tactics and put in the proper practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not. In addition, the process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically shouldn't take more than 1 CAT per week - and your last CAT should be taken about 1 week before Test Day. Going forward, you really shouldn't take more than 1 FULL CAT per week.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Seeking suggestion: 510 in Kaplan test (Diagnostic) [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi jarbit,

If you're not planning to apply to School until later on this year, then you have given yourself plenty of time to continue studying and work on your applications - which is great! Since you know the specific Schools that interest you, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

That next CAT/mock result should provide some really important information in terms of what you should be focused on during this next stage of your studies, but it's worth noting that a CAT is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to learn the necessary Tactics and put in the proper practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not. In addition, the process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically shouldn't take more than 1 CAT per week - and your last CAT should be taken about 1 week before Test Day. Going forward, you really shouldn't take more than 1 FULL CAT per week.

Rich

Thanks Rich for your comment and I mistakenly wrote 2022 instead of 2021. That's a really good suggestion and I will throw a comment to a relevant admission expert. And I am also keeping it in mind to give one test per week.

Thank you once again. :please: :please:
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1434 [0]
Given Kudos: 582
Send PM
Manhattan Prep GMAT prep hour is also useful as it has a lot of good stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YANbmNMRkrM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jarbit,

If you are planning to apply in 2021, then the specific application deadlines that you are facing will impact your overall timeline, so we need to be specific about that information (especially if those deadlines are coming up in the next several months).

1) What specific deadlines are you facing for each of the Schools that you plan to apply to?
2) Are you planning to take the At-home GMAT or are you planning to take your GMAT at a Test Facility?
3) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22056 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jarbit,

I see that you plan to take an official practice GMAT. Once you do, please report back with your score breakdown, and we can take things from there.
GMAT Club Bot