Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Congress is debating a bill requiring certain employers provide worker [#permalink]
MartyTargetTestPrep whats your take on this one? What do you see wrong in answer choice A and B? Specifically around the phrase "so as to"
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [7]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Re: Congress is debating a bill requiring certain employers provide worker [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
shenwenlim wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep whats your take on this one? What do you see wrong in answer choice A and B? Specifically around the phrase "so as to"

"So as to" has to introduce an action that someone or something takes to engage in another action.

For example:

John swims every day so as to stay fit.

"Stay fit" is an action that is made possible for John by "swims every day." In other words, John swims for the purpose of staying fit.

So, when we see "so as to" in a sentence, it should be associated with an action taken by a person or thing for the purpose of that person or thing engaging in another action.

Let's now consider the (A) version and the (B) version of the sentence in this question.

Here's the (A) version:

Congress is debating a bill requiring certain employers provide workers with unpaid leave so as to care for sick or newborn children.

We see that "so as to" is followed by "care for sick or newborn children." So, there should be earlier in the sentence another action that makes it possible for someone or something to care for sick or newborn children.

The first action we see is "debating." If we decide that "debating" is the action that goes with "so as to," then the sentence conveys the nonsensical meaning that congress is debating so that congress cares for sick or newborn children.

The second action we see is "requiring." If we decide that "requiring" is the action that goes with "so as to," then the sentence conveys the nonsensical meaning that a bill is meant to require something so that a bill cares for sick or newborn children.

The third action we see is "provide." If we decide that "provide" is the action that goes with "so as to," then the sentence conveys the nonsensical meaning that employers provide employees with leave so that employers care for sick or newborn children.

Since there are no other actions to go with "so as to," the (A) version can convey only nonsensical meanings.

Let's now consider the (B) version.

Congress is debating a bill requiring certain employers to provide workers with unpaid leave so as to care for sick or newborn children.

We can see that the (B) version mentions the same actions that the (A) version mentions. So, "so as to" does not work in the (B) version either.

Thus, both the (A) version and the (B) version convey nonsensical meanings.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
Send PM
Also if you replace"they" with employers it will not make sense
But it you replace "they" with workers it will make sense.
That is how I confirmed D.

greenoak wrote:
My choice would be D.

Quote:
Congress is debating a bill requiring certain employers provide workers with unpaid leave so as to care for sick or newborn children.

(A) provide workers with unpaid leave so as to
(B) to provide workers with unpaid leave so as to
(C) provide workers with unpaid leave in order that they
(D) to provide workers with unpaid leave so that they can
(E) provide workers with unpaid leave and

‘a bill requiring employers’ should be followed by infinitive (with ‘to’). It means A, C, E are out.

Now, look at the remaining:

B: Congress is debating a bill requiring certain employers to provide workers with unpaid leave so as to care for sick or newborn children.

Who should care for children? Congress? Doesn’t look right.

D: Congress is debating a bill requiring certain employers to provide workers with unpaid leave so that they can care for sick or newborn children

Well, we still could say that ‘they’ may refer to employers as well as workers, but IMO, overall, the ambiguity is less here than in the case of B.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts