Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619177 [31]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31950 [4]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31950 [1]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Re: During a certain game, after each turn, a player’s points are doubled [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
rahulkashyap wrote:
is there any other way to solve statement b ?

A straight logical answer is YES..
since we have a term being multiplied by 2, there will be only one term which will be a non-multiple of 2, because a term prior to it will be a decimal.

other way..
nth term = \(2^nx-80*(2^n-1)=0........2^n(80-x)=80\)
x is an ODD integer, and 80-x has to be a multiple of 5, so 80-x can be 5, 15 , 25 ....
Only \(2^n*5 = 80\) when n is 4, so \(80-x=5...x=80-5=75\)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [0]
Given Kudos: 330
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Send PM
Re: During a certain game, after each turn, a player’s points are doubled [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
During a certain game, after each turn, a player’s points are doubled and then reduced by 80. Players can only have a whole number of points and take turns until their score reaches exactly zero. Assuming no other points are gained or earned, how many points did player A start with?

(1) Player A takes exactly 4 turns.

(2) Player A’s starting score was not a multiple of 2.

Bunuel VeritasKarishma Pls help to solve statement B.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64933 [4]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
siddreal wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
During a certain game, after each turn, a player’s points are doubled and then reduced by 80. Players can only have a whole number of points and take turns until their score reaches exactly zero. Assuming no other points are gained or earned, how many points did player A start with?

(1) Player A takes exactly 4 turns.

(2) Player A’s starting score was not a multiple of 2.

Bunuel VeritasKarishma Pls help to solve statement B.

When the player completes the game (reaches a score of 0), we know what if his number of points before that were N,

2N - 80 = 0
N = 40

Now, can we say what the score was in the previous turn? Sure. We got 40 by doubling the previous score and subtracting 80.

2M - 80 = 40
M = 60

Now, can we say what the score was in the previous turn? Sure. We got 60 by doubling the previous score and subtracting 80.

2L - 80 = 60
L = 70

Now, can we say what the score was in the previous turn? Sure. We got 70 by doubling the previous score and subtracting 80.

2K - 80 = 70
K = 75
(not an even score)

Now, can we say what the score was in the previous turn? Sure. We got 75 by doubling the previous score and subtracting 80.

2J - 80 = 75
J = 77.5

The reason we did not need to do all this calculation backwards was this - Every time, we are adding 80 to the current score and dividing by 2. As long as our current score is even,
(Even + 80) = Even, so on dividing by 2 we get an integer.
The moment out current score becomes odd (75 in our case), the previous score will not be an integer because Odd + 80 = Odd. So on dividing by 2, we get a decimal. But every score must be an integer. This tells us that there is only one odd score that anyone can have and that is in the beginning of the game and it is 75 only (as calculated above). But since this is a DS question, we didn't really need to do the calculation as long as we know that we will get a single unique value of the starting score.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
Just wondering, how could this possibly even be a game? I mean, all you can do is starting with 75 points and ending with 0 points. And no points can be awarded? This question doesnt fit the logic of reality, that is, answering the question why people play games?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Bambi2021 wrote:
Just wondering, how could this possibly even be a game? I mean, all you can do is starting with 75 points and ending with 0 points. And no points can be awarded? This question doesnt fit the logic of reality, that is, answering the question why people play games?

That's not the point. If you want to tie this question to logic of reality, you need to do it in a different way. What if you need to analyse a game or a point system. You need to decide whether it works or not. This is the closest you can get to relating the real world to this question. Also, the logic does not lie in the statements but in the process that you are doing to arrive at the answer and that skill of deriving an answer logically works everywhere. And the purpose of many games is to arrive at 0. While playing 8 ball pool, you should have 0 balls on the table in order to win. But anyway, I don't think that's the point.

I got this question wrong though LOL.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
During a certain game, after each turn, a player’s points are doubled [#permalink]
Brian123 wrote:
Bambi2021 wrote:

That's not the point. If you want to tie this question to logic of reality, you need to do it in a different way. What if you need to analyse a game or a point system. You need to decide whether it works or not. This is the closest you can get to relating the real world to this question. Also, the logic does not lie in the statements but in the process that you are doing to arrive at the answer and that skill of deriving an answer logically works everywhere. And the purpose of many games is to arrive at 0. While playing 8 ball pool, you should have 0 balls on the table in order to win. But anyway, I don't think that's the point.

Of course the purpose of a game can be to arrive at 0. I instantly thought of dart when I read the question. The confusing part here is just that points did not get awarded or withdrawn or anything during the game. But ok, we can think of a game where you always start with 75 points and if you dont make any mistakes, the least number of turns to arrive at 0 will be four turns. During a turn then, if you lose or make a mistake, your score will only decrease by 20, or 40, or 60 by the end of the turn. Or maybe there can be some penalty if you lose one turn and then your score will get back to what you had in the end of the last turn.

So well, there might actually be a game that fits the description. One thing though is for sure: I already hate this game.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Bambi2021 wrote:
Brian123 wrote:
Bambi2021 wrote:

Of course the purpose of a game can be to arrive at 0. I instantly thought of dart when I read the question. The confusing part here is just that points did not get awarded or withdrawn or anything during the game. But ok, we can think of a game where you always start with 75 points and if you dont make any mistakes, the least number of turns to arrive at 0 will be four turns. During a turn then, if you lose or make a mistake, your score will only decrease by 20, or 40, or 60 by the end of the turn. Or maybe there can be some penalty if you lose one turn and then your score will get back to what you had in the end of the last turn.

So well, there might actually be a game that fits the description. One thing though is for sure: I already hate this game.

I hear what you're saying. But the takeaway from this question is the approach to logical thinking, of course hardly any of us would be calculating how long it takes for 2 trains to pass each other or how many people have been vaccinated. Such situations would obviously be much more complex than STD formulas or a simple sets matrix. The objective of this section is to test our reasoning skills. I think we're both on the same page though. Good luck with your prep! :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: During a certain game, after each turn, a players points are doubled [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: During a certain game, after each turn, a players points are doubled [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
92933 posts