Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
An insight into LondonLAB [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: An insight into LondonLAB
By Alex Hurd – MiM & GMiM Student Recruitment Associate

‘Can you tell me about LondonLAB?’ is often asked by aspiring MiM applicants. I got in contact with Dominic Hughes, an Experiential Learning manager at LBS to shed some light on the project and find out if you actually go anywhere near a lab.

Overview

Dominic sums up LondonLAB at LBS in a simple sentence, “It’s a student group consulting project with a real client.” Running for ten weeks from April to June, students use the learning from core courses in the earlier terms and put these skills to use in a real client facing scenario. Dominic explains, “Our students get to put those learnings into context and have a genuine impact on clients. Our students can also build their network and start to really get their name out there.”

The ten weeks on the project act as
a real eye-opener to life as a consultant, and student findings develop into
real business decisions for the clients.

MiM2020 LondonLAB was a great success with clients including:

• Desolenator
  • European Bank of Reconstruction and Development
  • London Luton Airport
  • Oddbox
  • Salesforce

The projects are separated into
three key focus areas: New Markets and Products, Responding to and Managing
Change and finally Improving Performance and Growing Market Share. These
project categories allow students to choose an area that interests them or
potentially could benefit their future recruitment choices. The LondonLAB team
then do their best to ensure students are working on a project most aligned to
their objectives and preferences.

Diversity

Dominic adds that the project allocation doesn’t just stop there: “We try and allocate students their top choices whilst also maintaining diverse working groups; that’s diversity in terms of nationality, gender and also educational background. For example, we look at their undergraduate degree subjects to help balance the teams out.” The idea behind this is to have groups of 6 that represent the strong diversity values of LBS and allows teams to flourish with members having a range of strengths to contribute to the team.

Work or Assessment?

LondonLAB is not just for work
experience and the project is assessed by faculty as a core module. LBS support
the students during the course as they have a number of consultations with a
supervising faculty member. The faculty will essentially act as a critical
trusted advisor to the students, and they will be constructively challenging
their thinking and also guiding them in the right direction. Some faculty
members are former senior consultants and have substantial client-facing
experience, so they are able to get the best out of the students and make an
accurate assessment of their performance. These projects can be challenging for
students, but as faculty often note, the harder the project, the greater the
learning experience.

LondonLAB in Covid Times

Pre-Covid students would have had an in-person introductory meeting with the clients and be shown around the office, thus meeting the key stakeholders within their organisational environment. Dominic explained how the adjustments to the project due to Covid do have their advantages: “These are some of the first students to do a full consulting project remotely, which could be a real distinguishing point for them when they move into recruitment process in the near future.”

So, there you have it, a real insight into what you will be doing in the LondonLAB. You won’t be stepping into any laboratories, but you could be gaining experience helping London based clients make their next strategic business moves.

LondonLAB Student Feedback

You can read MiM2020 Echo Wang’s Case Study of her LondonLAB Experience here.

MiM2020 Student Feedback

“The client challenged us and
supported us to produce a strong recommendation. It was great to work with them
and understand the way their firm thinks about investment.”

“I actually enjoyed working with a
more NGO-type organisation, and think it really opened my eyes to an industry I
hadn’t really considered before.”

“The Faculty supervisor brought a
very pragmatic approach to our LondonLAB project which helped the team maintain
a focus on adding value instead of being distracted by unrealistic
recommendations that we might have given to the client.”

“I enjoyed the entire course from
the virtual to working with my team on an actual project with a real company to
the sessions with my Faculty supervisor. Overall, one of my favourite
experience at LBS!”

“Working with a client as a team alone and without the direct supervision of faculty. I think it is an important learning experience to be on your own in client meetings and having to sort out client issues as a team. At all times, however, I knew we could fall back on the qualified support of faculty and the LondonLAB team and never felt left alone. I very much appreciated that!”

The post An insight into LondonLAB appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Send PM
From Economics to Sake…kicking off our inaugural virtual Global Experi [#permalink]
Kudos
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: From Economics to Sake…kicking off our inaugural virtual Global Experience in Tokyo
[b]By Giri Kesavan, MBA2021 [/b]

Giri is the Co-President of The Tech & Media Club at London Business School. An MBA2021 student, he also chairs the degree & careers wide Technology Sector Steering Committee, working with the school, faculty, industry, alumni and Careers Centre on Technology education & careers. Over his time at LBS he has been interested in experiential learning at the school, including coordinating student-led physical and virtual treks to connect students to industry, from London to the world. 

One of the key highlights of the [b][url=https://www.london.edu/masters-degrees/mba]MBA[/url][/b] programme at London Business School is the Global Business Experience (GBE). A critical part of the programme, the GBE allows us to consolidate our MBA learnings from classroom to industry across a whole variety of international destinations. Despite COVID-19, the concept of experiential learning remained a key part of our degree programmes at LBS. Today was a particularly historic day, when we kicked off our first ever GBE in Tokyo, connecting LBS students to Japan.

LBS has a great network in Japan and an active Japanese alumni club as well as connections to several companies who sponsor LBS students – we will be hearing from many of these people throughout the week! The week aims to cover lots of topics – everything from Venture Capital to macroeconomic themes, right through to robotics and Japanese business culture.  

Over the next 5 days, I’ll be live blogging the key themes and learnings from our virtual visit to Japan! We kicked off this morning with an introduction to the Macroeconomic climate from our faculty for the GBE: [b][url=https://lindayueh.com/]Professor Linda Yueh[/url][/b]. One of our professors of Economics, I actually listened to a fantastic speech by Linda at the very start of our MBA at LBS…all the way back in August 2019! Coming full circle, it was great to learn about some of the key themes of the week that we would be covering:

[img]https://admissionsblog.london.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/mba-tokyo-richard-graphic-march-2021.jpg[/img]

[list][*]Economic Stagnation – What are the causes of the ‘lost decade’ for Japan? [/*][*]What role(s) do Monetary Policy, Fiscal Policy and Structural Reforms play? [/*][*]The importance of technology & robotics [/*][/list]

Following on from Linda’s intro, we were privileged to be joined by Richard Koo, The Chief Economist at Nomura. Pioneering the concept of Balance Sheet Recessions, Richard outlined how differing levels and attitudes towards spending and saving across key sectors (Government, Private Sector and Households) has critical implications towards economic health. 

Indeed, for me this was rather a unique insight. We talked about how, with the private sector focusing on ‘repairing’ their balance sheet, there’s a lack of investment, and governments essentially are forced into a role of ‘borrower of last resort.’ Paying down debt (it’s usually a good thing right?) on the private sector can actually cause stagnation through reduced investment by businesses. It was great to start off with a key economic concept – something to bear in mind through the rest of the week as we interact across a multitude of companies across the region. 

[img]https://admissionsblog.london.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/sake-1024x623.jpg[/img]

The next session was all about Sake! In a session by LBS alumni, we kicked off by learning all about Sake, it’s cultural and economic importance to Japan, the export market and all about the industry. Always fantastic to connect with our recent Alumni and see the innovative new businesses that are emerging from LBS – in this case, [b][url=https://www.instagram.com/thesparklingsakebrewery/?hl=en]The Sparkling Sake Brewery[/url][/b].

Our day closed off with a fantastic virtual city tour of Tokyo. Streamed live from Japan by Hidesada Shimazaki, we spent the afternoon taking in all the key sights of Tokyo. It’s amazing how even in a virtual context, we’re able to leverage global connectivity to feel as if we’re in the region.  

I hope you enjoy this blog series documenting LBS’ first experiential learning course in Japan! See you tomorrow!

The post [url=https://admissionsblog.london.edu/from-economics-to-sake-inaugural-virtual-global-experience-tokyo/]From Economics to Sake…kicking off our inaugural virtual Global Experience in Tokyo[/url] appeared first on [url=https://admissionsblog.london.edu]Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School[/url].
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
Tokyo GBE Day 2: Womenomics, Financial Services, Doing Business in Jap [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Tokyo GBE Day 2: Womenomics, Financial Services, Doing Business in Japan…and a robotic pet seal?
By Giri Kesavan, MBA2021

Giri is the Co-President of The Tech & Media Club at London Business School. An MBA2021 student, he also chairs the degree & careers wide Technology Sector Steering Committee, working with the school, faculty, industry, alumni and Careers Centre on Technology education & careers. Over his time at LBS he has been interested in experiential learning at the school, including coordinating student-led physical and virtual treks to connect students to industry, from London to the world.

Our second day of the Tokyo GBE kicked off with a fantastic panel discussion on Doing Business in Japan, the role of women in Japanese society and the cultural changes when looking at business in Japan. We were joined by Leroy Yue (MBA1998), Dr Yumiko Oda and Sayuri Daimon. I thought the following key themes really provided food (yes…more on this later!) for thought:

• Womenomics: Key challenges in Japan include
    incentivising women to return to the workforce and breaking the barrier to
    entry into senior management roles.
  • Being aware of unconscious bias especially when
    focusing on traditionally gender segregated roles. Japan is actively taking
    steps to eliminate bias – for example, the word for ‘nurse’ has changed from a
    female character to a gender-neutral character.
  • Robotics, such as the iRobot for automated
    cleaning, have cultural challenges to overcome in order to gain acceptance in
    the mass-market. There are cultural barriers to adoption as people feel that
    they are being ‘lazy’ in the household if they use robotics to help. It’s
    always about a wider purpose rather than simply efficiency gains. Indeed, from
    a product marketing standpoint, it gave us insights into how to position
    products for acceptance by consumers.

In the afternoon, we then delved into the Financial Services
industry in Japan, and was privileged to be joined by Mr. Shinsuke Toda, EMEA
Head at Mizuho Bank. A broad ranging discussion on the financial services
market in Japan, we spoke about how Japanese culture is very distinct in the
industry. Mr Toda articulated how the core values at Mizuho drive a
client-centric focus, building long term value as opposed to short-term gains.
An LBS Alumni, Mr Toda talked about the key learnings from his time as LBS, in
particular the interpersonal skills, multi-cultural and global network that we
build during our degree programmes.

Today we also kicked off our business challenge for the
week…presenting a go-to-market approach and solving key problems for a robotic
seal. Yes…you read that correctly! We were joined today by the founder of Paro, a pioneering Japanese product,
essentially a cute (and very fluffy!) robotic pet seal – focusing on assistive
technology to provide companionship and therapeutic benefits to a range of
end-users, most importantly for us including Japan’s rapidly ageing population.
It was inspiring to learn from the founder about how animal therapy has met
with robotics to create an amazing and unique product. Much more to follow on
Paro later on in the week…!

Wrapping up the day, we had a fantastic cultural session talking about food in Japan, covering key foods such as Wagashi, Sushi, Tempura, ramen and Wagyu. It’s great that even in the virtual context, we’re able to get the cultural elements of the experience embedded into the programme throughout the week. We all logged off Zoom for the day keen to cook (or order in!) some Japanese cuisine!

Missed the first entry in the Tokyo GBE series? You can catch-up here.

The post Tokyo GBE Day 2: Womenomics, Financial Services, Doing Business in Japan…and a robotic pet seal? appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
EMBA-GLOBAL: THOUGHT LEADERSHIP HIGHLIGHTS MARCH 2021 [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: EMBA-GLOBAL: THOUGHT LEADERSHIP HIGHLIGHTS MARCH 2021
World-class thought leadership faculty and research from London Business School and Columbia Business School

The post EMBA-GLOBAL: THOUGHT LEADERSHIP HIGHLIGHTS MARCH 2021 appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
Tokyo GBE Day 3: The VC Scene in Japan, Energy & Environment…and conne [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Tokyo GBE Day 3: The VC Scene in Japan, Energy & Environment…and connecting LBS Alumni across 30+ years
By Giri Kesavan, MBA2021

Giri is the Co-President of The Tech & Media Club at London Business School. An MBA2021 student, he also chairs the degree & careers wide Technology Sector Steering Committee, working with the school, faculty, industry, alumni and Careers Centre on Technology education & careers. Over his time at LBS he has been interested in experiential learning at the school, including coordinating student-led physical and virtual treks to connect students to industry, from London to the world.

Halfway through the Tokyo GBE already! Another bright and early start today. By 7.15am we were well into the Venture Capital industry in Japan, with a fantastic panel headed up by JVCA (Japan Venture Capital Association). We discussed the key emerging themes when it comes to the Japanese VC market:

• VC and CVC (Corporate Venture Capital) is on the
    rise, with the number of VCs quadrupling in the last 7 years, constantly
    exceeding $4bn of investment year on year.
  • SaaS and Fintech have emerged as the key focus
    areas of the past few years, but CleanTech has emerged in the last year in
    particular.
  • The VC ecosystem relies on a mix of domestic and
    international investors, across all funding rounds. Japan has a
    well-established IPO market and the opportunities for start-ups are widespread.

Thank you to Shin Shiraki (MBA2004) for your insights from an alumni perspective into the VC ecosystem in Japan! Our next set of organisational visits during the day covered key topics around Energy and the Environment. We were thrilled to be joined by the folks at Shizen Energy Group – talking about how feed in tariffs have ignited (no pun intended…) the energy market and created incentives for green energy production.

One of the highlights of the day was to round off the afternoon with an informal networking session between The Japan Alumni Club and current students. Bringing together MBA, Sloan and EMBA students across 30 years of degree programmes at London Business School, it was a fantastic opportunity to connect and build relationships across Tokyo. With candid insights on life in Japan, the value of the MBA in Japan and the lifelong connection to LBS, it was an eye-opening session as we ourselves look towards being part of the alumni community at LBS in a few months!

Onto Day 4, where we’ll be focusing on Tech, as well as having some group work time to build a strategy for our lovely robotic seals (see the Day 2 blog!) and how they can capture the market.

Missed the previous entries in the series?
Read about day one and day two of the Tokyo GBE.

The post Tokyo GBE Day 3: The VC Scene in Japan, Energy & Environment…and connecting LBS Alumni across 30+ years appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
Tokyo GBE Day 4: Into the wonderful world of Robotics… introducing Pep [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Tokyo GBE Day 4: Into the wonderful world of Robotics… introducing Pepper
By Giri Kesavan, MBA2021

Into the second half of the GBE! While a lot of our focus in
the coming few days is focused on our Business Challenge and Debate (more on
this tomorrow), this morning we kicked off the day with a virtual visit to
Softbank Robotics and had a chance to talk to Pepper (that’s a robot – not
human…).

A friendly robot that detected and responds to emotions, it was remarkable to see first-hand how ‘human’ Pepper actually is, with natural movements, responses and even natural blinking! With over 35,000 Pepper robots deployed across 70 countries, we had a first-hand glimpse into the key use cases of robotics in collaboration with humans.

It was also interesting to learn how the cultural
differences in a Japanese multi-national are handled when interacting with
global teams:

• Mapping the cultural differences between the team is key.
  • Product Marketing needs to be regionally focused and tailored to the target market. For example, Pepper’s marketing in the US is more direct and to-the-point, while in Japan it’s far more in-depth and technically centered.
  • The cultural differences in adoption of robotics is key to bear in the mind. While in Europe and the US this all sounds like science-fiction, this is just another day in Tokyo!

Thank you to Softbank Robotics for an eye-opening session
into the future of robotics! As we wrap up the Global Business Experience, our
group is now focused this afternoon on preparing for our final assessments
tomorrow! Working backwards from the customer (the Amazon way!), we’re
currently drafting a set of FAQs, to highlight the key concerns and questions
that end consumers might have in adopting assistive robots.

Consolidating our learnings from the week, we’re also preparing a UK Parliament style debate on the future of robotics and the Japanese economy – much more on this in the wrap up blog tomorrow…!

Missed the previous entries in the series? Catch-up from Day 1 of the Tokyo GBE.

The post Tokyo GBE Day 4: Into the wonderful world of Robotics… introducing Pepper appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
Tokyo GBE Day 5 – Wrap Up: Reflections on our first ever virtual globa [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Tokyo GBE Day 5 – Wrap Up: Reflections on our first ever virtual global experience in Japan
By Giri Kesavan, MBA2021

Experiential Learning is a central theme of our MBA programme at London Business School. Bringing what we learn in the MBA classroom to industry, from London to the world, is a key element of the MBA. This central value of the MBA was at risk when the COVID-19 Pandemic hit. With the inability to travel internationally…the key question was…what would happen?

I’m so proud of LBS for not taking the easy way out. It would have been easy to simply cancel such key programmes that added huge value to our MBA experience. Instead, students, staff, faculty and alumni came together to develop a new kind of virtual global experience – connecting students with different cultures and economies in a virtual context, with all the safety and security that’s needed in these tricky times for international travel.

I’ve had the privilege this week to be part of a unique new virtual global experience in Tokyo along with Professor Lina Yueh, Lara Chambers, Avgi Chatzimpalioti and 22 MBA2021 classmates. Ranging from Robotics, Economics, Technology, VC, Cultural Challenges and much more, we had an amazing virtual week in Tokyo that highlighted how, even though we couldn’t physically be together – we can create truly global experiences in a virtual context.

Our Tokyo GBE wrapped up this morning with key debates on the prevailing themes of the week, focusing on the Robotics sector in Japan, as well as the key challenges to alleviate the issues surrounding a stagnating economy. Check out the previous entries in the blog series for deep dives on these themes!

On a personal note, this was actually my final course at LBS for the MBA programme. What a fantastic way to consolidate the MBA learnings into a truly global context, working collaboratively with the Experiential Learning Team, Faculty, Staff, our amazing alumni and a whole host of industry partners. It’s really come full circle.

I hope you have enjoyed reading about our virtual week in Japan, and a huge thank you to our Experiential Learning team at LBS for creating world-class global experiences even in such a challenging environment.

Missed the previous entries in the series? Catch-up from Day 1 of the Tokyo GBE.

The post Tokyo GBE Day 5 – Wrap Up: Reflections on our first ever virtual global experience in Japan appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
Introducing the Skills Programme for MFA candidates [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Introducing the Skills Programme for MFA candidates
By Callum Charman – MFA Recruitment Associate

At LBS we strive to have a profound effect on the way the world does business and the way business impacts the world. As the future of global business, our Masters in Financial Analysis (MFA) students require the necessary skills to adapt and thrive in a changing global setting.

Alongside their comprehensive core and elective modules, MFA students complete a set of Skills Programmes, which look to improve intrapersonal, numerical and digital literacy skills. These are split into two courses, which run alongside core and elective modules:

Deepak Guneja is a Student Ambassador for the Master in Financial Analysis programme. Now at the midway point of the MFA, he was able to offer valuable insight into the practical benefits of both the Personal & Leadership and Business & Technical Skills courses. 

For Deepak, the Skills Programme has helped
him to excel in job interviews, both in terms of providing practical advice and
industry specific information. “I chose Corporate Finance because I want to go
into that industry. This helped me in interviews, because if I’m applying for
Investment Banking, there are technical rounds, which are very practical. The
lecturer started from scratch on how to build a financial model and what are
the different processes involved. These processes were directly asked about in
the interviews.”

With the growing importance of remote
communication, the interview process has evolved. As part of the Business and
Technical Skills Development course, students are taught how to present
themselves to potential employers, including how to utilize zoom for
interviews: “It really helped me; where to put my laptop so I’m halfway
visible, so that my actions are visible to the interviewer. These are just
minute details, but something that an interviewer will observe. It also helped
me with video recordings I had to make.”

Running alongside core and elective
modules, the Skills Programme is designed to compliment all aspects of the MFA
programme. For Deepak, this was most evident during London Business Challenge
Week, an immersive experience designed to give students real world business
exposure: “I was able to apply skills I learnt in the Personal & Leadership
module, which really helped me. We were taught how to persuade, how to build a
story in front of someone and how to present it. It taught me how to prepare
presentations, how to start, how many points to use etc. These are non-verbal
communications that you really want to have with your audience, and this really
helped in London Business Challenge Week. We needed to pitch something to the
client. You’ve done your research, but now you need to make it impactful”

The Personal and Leadership course also provides the opportunity to work on key skills such as improving focus and reducing distractions: “We had to write a report on time management, which was really helpful. It was about things we knew, but we didn’t know how to get rid of those bad habits. We were shown the problems, then given the practical steps to solve them. I can’t say I’ve been able to implement them all in my life, but I am working on them!”

The post Introducing the Skills Programme for MFA candidates appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
April Recruitment Events [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: April Recruitment Events
Considering applying to one of our programmes? Interested in finding out more about the LBS experience? We have a whole host of events this month, all happening virtually, to give you some insight into studying at London Business School.

All events are being hosted online.

UKDateElevate your Leadership Skills with Randall Peterson, Professor of Organisational Behaviour01/04/2021A Fireside Chat with London Business School’s Recruitment & Admissions Directors01/04/2021EMBA Dubai Programme Overview & Admissions Tips06/04/2021Q&A with the Early Career Recruitment & Admissions Team06/04/2021How to Submit a Strong MBA Round 4 Application07/04/2021Elevate your Political Skills with Richard Jolly, Adjunct Professor of Organisational Behaviour08/04/2021MBA Overview09/04/2021Early Career Programmes: The Student Perspective13/04/2021Masters in Finance: In Conversation with MiF Students13/04/2021Career conversations with MBA Students and Alumni14/04/2021Elevate your Negotiation Skills with Gillian Ku, Professor of Organisational Behaviour15/04/2021Natalie Bage – Director at Lloyds Banking Group|My EMBA Experience15/04/2021MBA Overview16/04/2021The LBS Experience for British Students and Alumni19/04/2021Q&A with the Early Career Recruitment & Admissions Team20/04/2021Masters in Finance Alumni Interview Series – Women in Finance20/04/2021Career Conversations with MiM and GMiM Alumni21/04/2021Elevate your Strategy Skills with Dominic Houlder, Adjunct Professor of Strategy22/04/2021MBA Overview23/04/2021Empowering Women – Leadership Programmes at London Business School26/04/2021Early Career Programmes: The Student Perspective27/04/2021Sloan 2019: Where are they now? with Nick Rubick28/04/2021Elevate your Brand with Dafna Goor, Assistant Professor of Marketing29/04/2021MBA Overview30/04/2021EuropeForté MBA Forum Europe08/04/2021E-fellows Masters Day Munich24/04/2021

The post April Recruitment Events appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
Masters in Finance Part-time: Our study group experience [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Masters in Finance Part-time: Our study group experience
By Ross Barnes, MiFPT2022

Hi I’m Ross Barnes from the UK, and I’m a student on the Masters in Finance (MiF) Part-Time programme.

I decided to study the MiF at LBS because the school has an outstanding international reputation, and its MiF programme has repeatedly been ranked as the best of its kind in the world. I specifically wanted to study the MiF as opposed to an MBA, as I wanted to broaden my finance knowledge and deepen my expertise in finance. I was keen to apply an academic lens to the work I do to broaden my thinking and analysis. The Part-Time programme was ideal as I wanted to study but keep working and apply my learning in my role.

I would like to tell you a bit about my brilliant study group, as it’s been a key highlight of my time so far.

Highlights of my study group
experience

If you were to combine Italy, Cyprus, Japan, America, South Africa and Watford, they would create the wonders that are Study Group 11. For those curious about Watford, I will tell you that it is one of England’s top tourist destinations, and a place that everyone has to visit, the Harry Potter museum is not to be missed! I am overjoyed that I am able to experience the rich diversity of LBS and only have to travel 19 miles from my home.

The
diversity of our group not only enriches our experience but contributes to the
way we think about various subject areas. The ultimate goal of any master’s programme
is to challenge ones thinking, and it has been a pleasant surprise to have this
come from other students and not just my professors.

The benefits of my study group are endless. Without Masaya
(quantitative market and credit risk expert) we would all be lost when it comes
to fixed income securities. Without Tin (a fellow chartered accountant) there
would have been fewer debates regarding whether it is more or less appropriate
to deduct lease payments from EBITDA during our accounting project. I have gained from my fellow
students’ expertise in technical areas such as fixed income and portfolio
management. Equally, as a chartered accountant I was able to contribute a lot
to the financial accounting and analysis course.

Without further ado, it’s my pleasure to introduce you to Study Group 11…

Tin Mangwiro is South African & Zimbabwean and works in corporate finance for BDO UK LLP:
“My study group has been great! We have collaborated well and shared insights, leveraging our many years of experience in different areas of finance. The most exciting aspect of working with my study group is how we have managed to be efficient, and yet still be light-hearted when working on tasks and assignments. This is important to me, as I have a very demanding job and therefore limited time.”

Kristiana Tsingi is from Cyprus and works as Chief Operating Officer for Aristeus Financial Services:
“Our study group functions very well, everybody pitches in, we all do the work and keep each other’s interest and the whole group’s interest in mind. Sometimes the weight falls to different members, depending on the project and the expertise necessary to complete the assignment. A big advantage of the study group was learning how to efficiently and productively work with other people.”

Luca Fiume is Italian and works in asset management for JP Morgan:
“My study group is simply amazing! We are totally different students coming from 6 different countries. Each of us studied different subjects (accounting, economics, law…) and we do not work in the same industry. However, we have great synergy and have been able to help each other in an effective way.”

Masaya Komaki is Japanese and works in risk management as VP for Mizuho International Securities:
“A highlight of working in my study group was during the Purpose of Finance core module where we discussed how finance evolved, how financial innovation benefited society, and the implications of the global financial crisis. This assignment required philosophical discussion and having everyone share their views on the benefits and limitations of financial innovations, which allowed us to reach a good conclusion. With regards to the Investments course, though it was challenging, we worked together intensively and got a good score in the assessments.”

Patrick Rooney is American and works for First Trust as Regional Sales Manager:
“Diversity is the spice of life. Meeting people from different backgrounds, cultures and points of view is what makes for a great university experience. Our group has just this as we represent America, Britain, Cyprus, Italy, Japan and Zimbabwe. As a result, we have not only had a lot of laughs and gotten to know one another, but also learnt about life outside of our own.”

Advice to prospective MiF students:

Kristiana Tsingi
“I do not think there is even a comparison with other schools, as LBS has an unquestionably top programme, an impeccable reputation in the work market, a unique community feeling, and a diverse student body. Anyone would be lucky to be accepted for any programme at LBS. As someone who has more work experience than most of my cohort, I could have chosen to do a more general degree like the MBA. I didn’t as I felt that the MiF would offer me more real and substantial knowledge. The MiF gives students the educational experience necessary to respond to the demands of the business world, while keeping the whole picture in mind. The course is an absolute balance of science and theory.”

Luca Fiume
“I would suggest that applicants think about their plan and what they want to achieve. The MiF is a real investment in terms of time and money, and you need to be prepared to balance your job and study obligations. However, to achieve great results you have to be prepared to make sacrifices and dedicate time towards what you want, and ultimately this will be worth it.”

Patrick Rooney
“The LBS MiF is ranked #1 for a reason. The professors have been excellent, the subjects thought provoking, and the interaction with classmates fulfilling. The diversity of our class is also quite extraordinary, and even though we haven’t had as much time together in person as we would have liked, we have become close friends. As they say, the proof is in the pudding, and not only do my classmates boast impressive resumes, but we have helped each other through the tough times of being isolated over the past 6 months. I couldn’t think of a better option than what I’ve experienced so far.”

Would like to hear more about the programme? [url=https://www.london.edu/masters-degrees/student-alumni-and-ambassadors#sort=%40profilesurname%20ascending&f:programme=[Masters%20in%20Finance%20full%20time,Masters%20in%20Finance%20part%20time]&f:profileisambassador=[Ambassadors]]Speak with our current students[/url]. For a review of your fit for the MiF submit your profile here.

The post Masters in Finance Part-time: Our study group experience appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
Learn more about the LBS Board Fellows Programme [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Learn more about the LBS Board Fellows Programme
Sarah Page (EMBAL2021) shares her experience of an action-packed year as President of the LBS Board Fellows Programme.

Before joining LBS, I had been an Investor Relations Manager for various companies, spanning multinational banks to private equity. I started my career as an accountant, which came in handy when I transitioned to IR. Although I enjoyed IR, I want to take on multi-faceted senior leadership positions in the future as I want to go much further in my career. 

My decision to go to LBS was simple, go for the best and in the UK. The consistently high global rankings and distinguished list of alumni say it all.

LBS also has a vibrant student community with over 70 clubs, so you can choose how involved you want to be and in what. I found signing up to clubs I didn’t know much about helped me learn about possible new career paths. There are so many talks by senior leaders in the industry to hear from; it makes you feel very special to be a part of LBS.

There have been many highlights at LBS. My study group has been amazing, and I have made friends for life with them and with my cohort. I feel I’ve become part of the “LBS Family”, and I love that there is an unwritten rule that we help each other out.

EMBA Ladies Dinner, October 2020

The LBS brand opens up a lot of doors. It has allowed me to meet people I would not have otherwise crossed paths with. For example, through the LBS Board Fellows Programme, I have met numerous CEO’s in the non-profit sector, and I have built relationships with the Leadership Institute, which has opened up opportunities to meet board-level executives.

At LBS, I found that the more you put in, the more you get out, as everyone is approachable and genuinely willing to help. I recently organised a Q&A session with a prominent Non-Executive Director and book author. I also had a chance to hone my pitching skills to win funding for the Board Fellows to grow our operations. I’ve signed up to be an EMBA Ambassador to welcome new students, and I’ve already made a few great connections.

I want to help LBS students give back to the community by applying their knowledge from their LBS degrees. I feel this a huge benefit the Board Fellows can give the students in addition to them studying at LBS. This experiential learning will help students in their future career, if they decide to pursue board roles. Students get to learn about Corporate Governance while they shadow the board. At the same time, charities appreciate the students’ volunteering efforts.

Specifically, as President, my role is to be an Ambassador, set the strategy and lead the team so that when I graduate, I leave a strong legacy for the next President and future LBS students. Since July 2020, the team has more than doubled in size. We have expanded into Dubai and are currently really ramping up our charity pipeline to place more Fellows than ever before.

I have a fantastic team who are very ambitious and are pushing the Board Fellows to new heights. Susan Yu and her team are doing a great job at bringing new charities on board. Meanwhile, Gigi Jia has put a lot of work into the London Ops and Marketing teams to scale us up. Also, Asih Wulansari has been amazing with our Dubai activities. The Board Fellows Programme wouldn’t be where it is today without everyone’s hard work and many hours of dedication that they have put into helping their fellow students and charities.

I’ve learnt a lot about myself through the Organisational Behaviour subjects. They have given me insights into my strengths as a leader, friend and colleague. Most of all, the experiences at LBS have given me incredible confidence in myself, my abilities and to pursue whatever I put my mind to.

I’ve discovered exciting opportunities through the invaluable connections I’ve made, and that’s the power of the LBS network. Students, staff and faculty sincerely endeavour to foster a collaborative community, which doesn’t stop when you graduate.

The post Learn more about the LBS Board Fellows Programme appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
London Business Challenge Week 2021 [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: London Business Challenge Week 2021
By Callum Charman, MFA Recruitment Associate

London Business Challenge Week (LBCW) is the Master in Financial Analysis’s exclusive experiential learning module, that allows students to immerse themselves in a live project for one intensive week. Working with mentors from London-based companies, many of whom are LBS alumni, students will have the opportunity to apply learning from their programme to provide a fresh perspective, analyse specific company/market issues and develop solutions that have real-world impact.

As part of the project, students form their own teams of 6-7 people, which they remain part of for the whole experience. The company project champion and mentor present the project brief, clarifying scope, objectives and expected deliverables of the project on Monday, with a final presentation and live feedback on Friday, where all team members participate. Peer evaluation plays a key role, with students giving feedback on each team member’s contribution at the end of the project. Previous companies have included:

With the future of work a topic of much discussion, this year’s LBCW enabled students to leverage and develop their skills in a virtual setting. With many students looking to pursue careers in investment banking and consulting, skills such as how to collaborate with an external client virtually and deliver a clear message, were essential. Additionally, building relationships with clients and team members in a virtual setting were a key skill needed for effective collaboration across time zones.

The London Business Challenge Week allows students to develop the skills that employers will be looking for, through immersion in a pressured environment. Students can build on their academic learning and gain insight and exposure into how companies work, whilst also developing their networking skills and improving their virtual presence.

“It’s great to see the proactiveness from LBS students and I don’t think that should be taken for granted. It’s obviously a great aspect of the community.”

Erkka Salo is a student ambassador for the Master in Financial Analysis programme. Having recently completed this year’s LBCW, he was able to offer some insight into his experience with The Raine Group and the impact it has had on his career ambitions.

“We were working on the growth equity side, trying to find companies in the tech industry that they could invest in. We had to come up with three companies, pitch it to them and try and convince them to invest.”

Preparation is key for a successful experience and the formation of the team played a key role. “I got contacted by one of my friends who took the lead. He contacted me we very quickly had a group of seven. It’s great to see the proactiveness from LBS students and I don’t think that should be taken for granted. It’s obviously a great aspect of the community.”

With the help of an LBS alumni, Erkka and his team were well supported during the project. “My experience was amazing and I’m not saying that just to sound positive! Our mentor was an alumnus who did the MFA programme last year. He had a personal insight into what the London Business Challenge Week is, so that was great, but on top of that he was extremely nice and supportive.”

For Erkka, the experience was a great opportunity to explore a new industry. “I have a finance background, but I got extremely interested in tech. It really broadened my perception of that market, which is super relevant nowadays. It made me more interested in an industry which I didn’t have much knowledge of.”

The LBCW is a great way to network with potential employers, something the team were able to harness during their final presentation. “It was a real-life situation and something I will always remember. They really grill you! We all did really well, and they actually invited all of us to interview.”

Interested in the MFA programme? Submit your CV or LinkedIn profile to have an informal chat with our team.

The post London Business Challenge Week 2021 appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
Empowering Women – Leadership Programmes at LBS [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Empowering Women – Leadership Programmes at LBS
By Natasha Trivedi – Senior Admissions Manager, Sloan & EMBA-Global programmes

London Business School has transformed the careers of women all over the world. Increasing the number of women in top management positions has long been a global priority and we are proud that we have been able to empower women to embody this powerful shift. We are fortunate to have a school community that embraces collaboration, celebrates differences and explores opportunities to drive change. Find out more at our upcoming event, Empowering Women – Leadership Programmes.

Our extensive leadership portfolio, which includes our Executive MBA, EMBA-Global and LBS Sloan Masters in Leadership and Strategy programmes all provide the skills essential to lead change and boost organisational performance. In addition to this, soft skills such as self-motivation, networking and confidence building are all part of the programme features which really set you apart. 

We are committed to supporting more women through their leadership journey. See more about Women at LBS.

Meet the Alumni Panel for our upcoming Empowering Women – Leadership Programmes at LBS event:

The post Empowering Women – Leadership Programmes at LBS appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
Masters in Finance: Application Hints and Tips [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Masters in Finance: Application Hints and Tips
[b]By Lucky Singh, MiF Recruitment Manager[/b]

As we are close to our final [b][url=https://www.london.edu/masters-degrees/masters-in-finance-full-time]Masters in Finance Full-time[/url][/b] application deadline on Tuesday 27th April, and near our last [b][url=https://www.london.edu/masters-degrees/masters-in-finance-part-time]Part-time[/url][/b] application deadlines on Tuesday 18th May and Tuesday 8th June, we wanted to provide you with useful information to help guide you through the application process.

The most important thing before starting your application is to do your research. Get a thorough understanding of the MiF by visiting our website and [b][url=https://www.london.edu/download-a-brochure?itemId=557e20b2-4bd4-4140-9270-3831b8753123&servicePageReferer=557e20b2-4bd4-4140-9270-3831b8753123]downloading our brochure[/url][/b]. Learn more about the student body and career impact by [b][url=https://www.london.edu/download-a-class-directory?itemId=557e20b2-4bd4-4140-9270-3831b8753123&servicepagereferer=557e20b2-4bd4-4140-9270-3831b8753123&FormMode=class_directory]downloading our class directory[/url][/b] and [b][url=https://www.london.edu/download-an-employment-report?itemId=557e20b2-4bd4-4140-9270-3831b8753123&servicepagereferer=557e20b2-4bd4-4140-9270-3831b8753123&FormMode=employment_report]employment report[/url][/b]. Develop your awareness of the MiF student experience by speaking to our [b][url=https://www.london.edu/masters-degrees/student-alumni-and-ambassadors#sort=%40profilesurname%20ascending]current students, student ambassadors and alumni[/url][/b]. Have your questions answered live during one of our many [b][url=https://www.london.edu/events/calendar#sort=%40eventstarts%20ascending]events[/url][/b].

We in the MiF Recruitment Team are here to support you across the research and applying stages. You can email us with any of your questions at [b][email=mif@london.edu]mif@london.edu[/email][/b]. You can [b][url=https://www.london.edu/submit-cv?itemId=557e20b2-4bd4-4140-9270-3831b8753123&servicepagereferer=557e20b2-4bd4-4140-9270-3831b8753123]submit your profile for review[/url][/b], and we will informally assess your eligibility for the programme. We also host one-to-one consultations, where we answer your questions and provide you with tailored application support.

Once you have completed your research, the next step is to [b][url=https://www.london.edu/apply?programmeApplyOnlineParameterValue=5&apply=true&itemId=557e20b2-4bd4-4140-9270-3831b8753123&servicePageReferer=557e20b2-4bd4-4140-9270-3831b8753123]start your application[/url][/b]. You will be required to fill out our online application form, which includes submitting; a GMAT or GRE score, two essay questions, a one page CV, your academic transcripts and two professional references.

Applications are reviewed holistically, therefore all aspects of
your application are measured equally by the MiF Admissions Committee.

Below is an explanation of the individual application
requirements in more detail.

[b]GMAT/GRE[/b]

So we can assess your quantitative ability to ensure you can
keep up with the rigour of the programme, we require a GMAT or GRE score. We
have no preference between GMAT or GRE. A strong GMAT score is 650 or above,
and for GRE we look for around 160 in the quantitative section, and 155 in the
verbal section. You can also submit your application in advance of GMAT or GRE
as we do make conditional offers. We currently accept online test scores.

[b]GMAT/GRE waiver[/b]

For a small number of candidates, we waive the GMAT/GRE requirement. If you have CFA L2 then you will automatically receive a GMAT/GRE waiver.  We also grant GMAT/GRE waivers to candidates with strong grades at undergraduate and postgraduate level, especially those who have studied quantitative subjects, and who have outstanding professional finance work experience. Professional qualifications like CFA Level I, FRM, CPA and ACCA will increase your chances of getting a waiver. To apply for a GMAT/GRE waiver, please share your CV and your undergraduate and postgraduate transcripts with us at [b][email=mif@london.edu]mif@london.edu[/email][/b].

[b]Two
essay questions[/b]

Our two essay questions are focused on why you are interested in
studying the Masters in Finance at LBS, and how will you will contribute to our
community. Remember, there is no right or wrong answer. Use the essays to tell
us your story, and to highlight your personality. Demonstrate your leadership
potential, your global mind-set, and showcase your academic capabilities.

[b]CV
and transcripts[/b]

You must include a one page CV [b][url=https://www.london.edu/-/media/files/programme-files/master-courses/mif/cv-template-and-notes_mif_apply.docx?la=en]in our recommended CV template[/url][/b] and your academic transcripts. We require transcripts from your undergraduate and any postgraduate degrees. If your transcripts are not in English, they will need to be translated.

[b]References[/b]

We require two references from you, and these should ideally be
professional i.e. by someone you have worked with and who knows you very well.
The seniority of your referee does not matter as much as the quality of your
reference. Please note that these need to be submitted before we can start
reviewing your application. You should give your referees sufficient time to
prepare and submit the reference, and spend time explaining your motivations to
them, so that they can complete the reference thoroughly.

[b]Interview[/b]

Once you have submitted your application, the Admissions team will inform you about whether you have been selected for interview. This is conducted by our alumni. For more information regarding the interview stage, take a look at our blog [b][url=https://admissionsblog.london.edu/interviewing-for-the-mif-everything-you-need-to-know/]here[/url][/b].

[b]Further
information[/b]

For more information, you can watch our [b][url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYS-JDSRH70]latest webinar[/url][/b] where Peter Johnson, MiF Senior Admissions Manager, and myself discuss all of the above in more detail. If you require any further information, please contact us at [b][email=mif@london.edu]mif@london.edu[/email][/b].

We wish you the best of luck with your application!

The post [url=https://admissionsblog.london.edu/masters-in-finance-application-hints-and-tips-2/]Masters in Finance: Application Hints and Tips[/url] appeared first on [url=https://admissionsblog.london.edu]Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School[/url].
Director
Director
Send PM
My Masters in Finance Part-time Experience: Kristiana Tsingi [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: My Masters in Finance Part-time Experience: Kristiana Tsingi
Why did you choose to study the Masters in Finance Part-time programme at London Business School? 

I work in a single-family office that handles financial assets for the family members and trust accounts. I was promoted to COO of the organisation in 2019 and my employers were kind enough to offer me moral, practical and financial support in any educational endeavours I was willing to engage in, to enable me to be best equipped to handle my new role and responsibilities. 

My undergraduate degree was in finance, but since graduating I had never worked in the front office side of business. Though I have a substantial amount of experience in back and middle office related fields, I wanted more exposure to investments and markets. I wanted to do this to adequately comprehend what we decide to do in our Asset Allocation Committee, why we do it, and how to best execute all AAC decisions as this is my main responsibility. I chose to study at LBS as it offers one of the best programmes internationally. To add to that, my principals i.e. the family members who serve as directors of the operation, are LBS alumni.

How have you adapted to working and studying at the same time? Have you been able to apply the MiF to your role?

While my employer is very understanding and is
financing me and supporting me in this endeavour, work does not stop and my
duties are not to be taken lightly, as I basically execute all the decisions
for the family and report back to them. 

I have been able to apply my learning from the MiF. We are currently trading intensively and we have bi-weekly Asset Allocation Committee meetings. During these meetings we discuss the markets and particular investments, and I can not only understand these conversations, but I am also able to provide my input because of my MiF curriculum.

Tell us about your study group. How have you found this experience so far?

Our study group functions very well, everybody pitches in, we all do the work and keep each other’s interest, and the whole group’s interest in mind. Sometimes the weight falls to different members, depending on the project and the expertise necessary to complete the assignment. A big advantage of the study group was learning how to efficiently and productively work with other people.

Our study group is pretty diverse, but we all have
some experience of each other’s culture, and everyone is respectful of one
another. All discussions are warm and considerate, and humour is by no way
absent from our communications and meetings.

Even though the pandemic has made it difficult for most of us to meet in person, we meet via Zoom or https://gmatclub.com/chat and this doesn’t inhibit our cooperation. We are lucky enough to be in a group full of warm and friendly people, and we’re looking forward to grabbing some drinks together in London, once all of this is over and everyone is safe.

What advice would give applicants considering the Masters in Finance programme at London Business School?

I do not think there is even a comparison with other schools, as LBS has an unquestionably top programme, an impeccable reputation in the work market, a unique community feeling, and a diverse student body. Anyone would be lucky to be accepted for any programme at LBS. As someone who has more work experience than most of my cohort, I could have chosen to do a more general degree like the MBA. I didn’t as I felt that the MiF would offer me more real and substantial knowledge. The MiF gives students the educational experience necessary to respond to the demands of the business world, while keeping the whole picture in mind. The course is an absolute balance of science and theory.

To learn more about our Masters in Finance Part-time (MiFPT) programme, please visit our website.

The post My Masters in Finance Part-time Experience: Kristiana Tsingi appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
How the Executive MBA can take you further [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: How the Executive MBA can take you further

Our Executive MBA (EMBA) is designed for professionals that want to take their career to the next level, without pausing their career.

Meet our alumna Athina Argyriou (EMBA2019) who discusses why she chose the EMBA programme to take her career to the next role.

Why did you choose London Business School to further your education?

“I researched various executive programmes in France and around the world. What I found is that the multicultural, geographical and student diversity, as well as the global reach, makes LBS one of a kind. The opportunity to acquire a new set of skills, in such an interactive and international environment with people sharing similar aspirations was particularly compelling to me. Given my professional experience in the last 20 years in an international environment, I learned to understand and appreciate the importance of seeing and resolving issues from different perspectives.”

What was it about the EMBA that made it the right programme for you?

“When I decided to enrol in the EMBA at LBS, I was at the stage in my professional career where I became conscious of the need to move out of a comfortable pattern of working life, seek new challenges and realise my full potential. The most predictable route to expand my professional progress would be to seek another form of employment. This would be an easy and temporary way out. Instead, after much consideration, I set my sights on a more ambitious path and make the leap to change. I can say without a doubt that exploring one’s ambitions is an intensive process. If done thoroughly, the exercise brings about great clarity. My clarity has manifested in my commitment to invest in the attainment of a higher level of education that will advance my career.”

Is there one EMBA experience that stayed with you?

“I believe that an MBA starts well before the first day of class. For me, it began with an honest assessment of my skills and accepting that I have areas of improvement. Ambition has also been part of my journey. For, in addition to the core courses, I was particularly attached to the leadership curriculums, designed to focus on each individual’s personal potential. This approach offers the opportunity for each participant to maximize his or her distinctive leadership style. For me this meant enhancing my core leadership assets, learning about the ones I didn’t not know about and developing others so I can be an effective leader.”

Are you still in touch with your classmates?

“EMBALJ2019 is a above all a solid global community, It reflects a lifetime bond and commitment. We exchange regularly and keep informed about our career evolutions, business opportunities, world matters, as well as family and personal events. We are all looking forward to getting together post pandemic crises.”

How did the EMBA help you with your career?

“Post EMBA, the LBS brand and network, not only gave me the confidence to venture into different directions but above all gave me the means to exercise a real choice in my ambition of advancement to a senior management position. I used my new knowledge, ideas, people and skills and assurance gained through the programme and obtained  a senior leadership role in risk management and competitive intelligence.”

To learn more about our Executive MBA London and Dubai programmes please visit our website.

The post How the Executive MBA can take you further appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
Career Conversations with Masters in Management Alumni [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Career Conversations with Masters in Management Alumni
By Malak Hammoud, Recruitment Manager – MiM, GMiM, MFA

I sat down with four Masters in Management (MiM) alumni to get insights into how the programme and LBS experience helped shape their careers, and learn more about their experiences with the Careers Centre. 

Preston Bloskas (MiM2017) – Strategy and Operations Manager at Amazon
Catherine Jonan (MiM2020) – Project Specialist at Boston Consulting Group
Zoé Teyssier (MiM2018) – E-commerce Manager at Diageo GB
Ricarda Roller (MiM2018) – Senior Consultant at Kearney

Was there anything in particular that you wanted to improve through the MiM programme? How was the programme aligned with your careers goals? 

Zoé Teyssier (MiM2018)
“Fun fact was that I actually didn’t want to apply to LBS. I knew the school was great but I had just completed my undergrad in London and kind of wanted a change in scenery but, at the same time, I kept my options opened and still applied. I went through the process and during my interview my interviewer highlighted that between all the schools I was considering LBS was the best choice. What he stressed most was the fact that I was focusing more on the cities rather than the actual schools and what they offer. Out of all the ones I was considering, LBS had the strongest network. Before joining, I had no idea what I wanted to do except for the fact I wanted to be in consumer goods. I was surprised to learn that there was a strong community of graduates who went into consumer goods later down the line in their careers, which I didn’t expect. I initially applied because it was the best school in London and later discovered the strong network that was going to help me get to where I wanted to be.”

Ricarda Roller (MiM2018)
“I also wasn’t sure on exactly what I wanted to do. I just knew I didn’t want to stay in Germany because the teaching there is quite theoretical. What I really liked about LBS was how it was very hands-on. There’s smaller classes, you work with your study group on case studies and you’re actually working with your classmates throughout the year on projects rather than studying on your own for exams at the end of each term. Those were the factors that made me choose LBS in terms of style of teaching. Once I was a student they really helped me shape the idea of where I want to go in my career. It’s very easy to get overwhelmed by all the career choices available and most people at that age don’t even have a clue what they can actually do – LBS gave the structured overview of the different options I could explore and possibilities out there.” 

Catherine Jonan (MiM2020)
“I was looking to improve my business sense. I came from a very social sciences background. I had done a few internships but felt like there was an entire world in terms of the network and number of companies I could be working for. Being at LBS and having the support of the network, Careers Centre and seeing the number of potential possibilities and geographies which I could be a part of after graduating, was what I wanted and that was what I got from the experience.”

Preston Bloskas (MiM2017)
“The oxymoron in my case was I was transitioning from finance – investment banking. I wanted to transition into tech so the most reasonable thing to do was to probably go to a school in California as opposed to going to a school halfway across the world. I had realised at the time that I didn’t want to pursue an MBA and I wanted to transition much faster than what an MBA would allow. I applied to a variety of schools both in the US and abroad and what really sold LBS for me was the alumni network and there was a very clear, tangible difference between alumni of other schools and alumni at LBS. I reached out over LinkedIn and asked to hear about their experiences, as they were working at companies that I wanted to work at; doing things that I wanted to do. I asked if they liked what they were doing, if I’m making a mistake transitioning from finance into tech. The LBS alumni were far more helpful, friendly and always available to offer support – that’s what cinched it for me. I found the alumni network so helpful before I even signed on the dotted line which told me that there’s something very special about the school. I’ve been paid back dividends by choosing LBS. Just recently, I finished a variety of different negotiations with other companies and I tapped into the Careers Centre on how to evaluate private equity versus public equity and how to handle negotiations that involve that, and even now, having graduated years ago, I’m still reaping the benefits.”

We know that the Careers Centre has so much to offer in terms of support and opportunities to students, but was there anything in particular that you found stuck with you until now in your career or that helped you at the time? Do you look back and think something was particularly useful? 

Zoé Teyssier (MiM2018)
“For me, there’s not a single doubt that it was the practice interviews. When I joined LBS, I was so rubbish at interviews you wouldn’t believe it. I completed around 10 -15 mock interviews with Kira Hugh’s who prepped me for group assessment centres and individual interviews. From all the practice I did, I could feel the improvement before I even started the recruitment process properly. I didn’t get that at LSE. The kind of tailored one-to-one coaching had a big impact. Even the practice with other students was great. Especially because I was interested in a diversified sector where there’s potentially less students applying. So I was like is anyone interested in the alcohol sector? Apparently they were interested but only for parties and not as a career! So I really feel I took advantage of those one-to-one practice interviews and I don’t think I would have managed to secure a role if it wasn’t for that help.”

“The bulk of students in early careers at the time wanted to go into either finance or consulting – from the recent stats I can see there’s much more of a growing interest in tech in recent years. So tech back then wasn’t always the popular choice. In my experience the Careers Centre was so useful in helping me understand exactly what I was walking into when I go for an interview. Tech interviews can be all over the map – you can get a McKinsey style case study or a group interview and how do I answer the dreaded googleyness question when I interview with Google? In my experience the tech and media experts at the Careers Centre were always helpful in refining my story and making sure it’s compelling enough to warrant additional questions that dive deeper into my background, and in my case that was something my undergrad couldn’t do. They were spectacular in providing a lot of value with my initial conversations with companies.”

Was it difficult to stick to the sector you were interested in rather than following the crowd into the more popular consulting career?

“Yes, that’s very interesting because Tech in the United States is a little different, so when a role is posted they want that position filled within 2 weeks. So when you’re going through a graduate programme and you see your friends getting job offers from McKinsey and Goldman Sachs you do start to think and question yourself if you could really do this. If you were to ask David Morris who was the head of Technology and Media Careers at the school he would tell you I was at his office weekly asking what am I doing, how do I manage this stress and am I doing everything correctly? Yes, it was intimidating to stick to my guns and making sure I upheld my interest but the school was very supportive and it worked out!”

For those of you who were interested in consulting what was the journey like for you?

Catherine Jonan (MiM2020)
“It was a very supportive community within the students but as well the Careers Centre support is unlimited. You are supported by your peer leaders who are MBA or Executive MBA students. You also have industry experts who literally walk you through what to expect and what consulting is really like – they help you debunk all your worries! In the first 2 weeks, I found the Careers Centre really helpful and special. They will go through your CV with your peers and really make sure that your CV is ready for any interview at any company and that is what I think makes LBS special. Having your CV go through 40 people, from your peers to career leads and experts within the Career Centre, is what makes your CV so sellable.”

For many applying students the content and academic experience of the programme is very important. Was there any class or project that you found particularly useful or you felt supported you in your careers?

Zoé Teyssier (MiM2018)
“Ricarda mentioned one earlier on how practical the mandatory classes are. Having done my bachelors in Management, I can tell that LSE were preparing me for a PhD and I was like, that’s not what I want! Then at LBS they were saying, let’s prepare you for real life, so this is the theory but let’s apply it straight away. In terms of classes that prepared me the most I thought the electives were of great value. The fact that you can choose what you want to learn and focus on according to the type of skills you were looking to develop. My negotiation skills were about as low as my interviewing skills so I chose a negotiation elective which was absolutely incredible. With the benefit of being mixed with students from other programmes, and some who are more senior in their experience, you really learn a lot from them. The fact that I got to do that at school made me rethink the whole definition of school. I also had a similar course when I started working so it’s definitely something that’s stuck with me and supported me in my career.”

“The elective that stuck with me the most was the Strategy and Entrepreneur elective. It was a course where you had to essentially come up with an entrepreneurship idea and basically build a product and pitch it to an actual panel of venture capitalists. Stating why this product deserves to be built. The class would then divide into the products that were voted as successful. So if you weren’t part of a successful product you select a product that you thought was and you put a whole semester’s work behind it to bring that product to market. There were a lot of start-up companies that were created out of that class which I thought was phenomenal. It’s interesting because it’s something that I still use today. We had to write a BRD (Business Review Document) and pre FAQ which is a questionnaire list for any internal stockholder teams to build something. From how do you market the product to how do you process it? Did you price it correctly? How are you going to sell it?  Do you need an engager sales team? It’s literally from start to finish on building a product. I’ve tapped into that at my current team at Amazon and that’s something that I didn’t expect. I still keep in touch with the students that I met in that class and keep the book on standby that was recommended by my professor just in case I need it in the future.”

Could you share some of your involvements with the Clubs or Student Led activities that supported you career-wise or in terms of personal development?

“The MiMs and all the Early Careers students get to join the same clubs as the MBAs, Executive MBAs and LBS Sloans. That is spectacular for a variety of reasons. You get to network and mingle with students across the entire school who have a variety of experiences and who more than likely have taken on a project or worked in a sector that you’re interested in joining once you graduate – so you could really tap into them as a resource. I was the Vice President of the Tech and Media Club – just a fancy way of saying I was on the executive committee and I was working alongside a lot MBAs who were also trying to network their way into tech. We worked on a variety of projects. A lot of clubs facilitate their own trips and through the Tech and Media club we organised trips to China, America and Europe. I was also part of the Foodie’s Club which is exactly what it sounds like. It was an opportunity to showcase the food from your culture. I’m from Dallas, Texas so I brought a lot of barbeque, tacos and salsa – it was a fun club to learn about different cultures of the world that you don’t really expect. There’s a variety of professional clubs, sports clubs and fun clubs that add value to the overall experience that you can be part of depending on your interests.”

If you’re interested in hearing more from our MiM alumni network on the impact the programme has had on their careers, register to attend our upcoming Careers Conversations events [url=https://www.london.edu/masters-degrees/events-for-prospective-students#first=12&sort=%40eventstarts%20ascending&f:programme=[MIM]]here[/url]

The post Career Conversations with Masters in Management Alumni appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
GMAT Club Bot
Career Conversations with Masters in Management Alumni [#permalink]
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  22