Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [1]
Given Kudos: 231
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72889 [1]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Given Kudos: 187
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: Test day algorithm issue that yielded a 0% ??? PLS HELP [#permalink]
Kudos
amets13 wrote:
My official GMAT scores are showing a Q6/0% that I believe to be an error. I have seen posts for the official practice exams glitching but have not heard of anyone seeing the bug on official test day......

Some background:
- I began studying in July after deciding my next career move is an MBA.
- I took a baseline (no prep, no review) official practice test 1 and got a 570 V34 Q34. I was pretty pleased after not using math at work at all or since freshman year of college (2012). I studied ~5 hours a week.
- I was laid off in September and have studied every day for 2-8 hours a day and was scoring about 65-80% of quant questions correct (depending on the day and the topic etc).
- I took the 2nd of the 2 free official practice exams end of October and scored a 630 Q39 V38
- I studied 8-12 hours a day for the next 2 weeks consistently hitting 75% or above on quant
- I took the official test Nov 9th and received my scores Nov 11th - 350 (did not know that was humanly possible as all charts I have seen start in the 400s) with Quant score 6 at 0%. Look, I know my quant score is no where near as high as I would like but this has got to be an error....right?

I called the GMAT customer service number and was immediately FWd to Pearson. After explaining the situation, Pearson left me on hold for 30 mins and came back to say that this is a matter for GMAT not them. I called GMAT's US number and they immediately told me to call Pearson. I let the operator know that I had just heard the opposite from Pearson and asked him what else could be done. After some pushing he admitted that: A) I did not get every question incorrect as this score would imply and that B) He has seen this a few times before in qualified test takers!!! Yet their policy remains the same; no retesting.

I completely understand that as a testing company used by some of the most competitive, type A, eager, and intelligent people in the world they have to set boundaries with frustrated test takers. If this score had been extremely low (in the 20s) I would chalk it up to my own mistakes, test day nervousness, etc. But the 0% is actually impossible with the level I have prepared and what I was scoring at on official questions.
It goes without saying that I'll be retaking the exam but as an unemployed person the additional $250 is out of my budget. Has anyone experienced or heard of something similar? Am I missing something? Any recommendations with how to proceed?

Thank you all in advance for reading through this mess and for any advice you may have!!! :)

I am very shocked. This is something which I haven't heard before.
Well if you plan to get to the depth of the problem then I may suggest that you Order ESR Report for a better insight.
I hope you achieve what you desire and thank you so much for sharing your experience with us.

I am sorry for your experience.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
I have exactly the same problem!

I am a non-native Speaker from Germany. I need a minimum score of 500 for an MBA program at the University of Central Arkansas.

Before two weeks I took the GMAT online for the first time.
The verbal section was ok and I managed the tasks without problems. However, I experienced a rabbit punch in the quantitative section, which completely destroyed my target score.

I have neever seen such hard and silly tasks before the real exam! I thought that this could be a good signal for a high scoring range, because the quantitative tasks get never easier in the further test. This was a misjudgment!

I am now preparing for the GMAT since 10 weeks. At first, I started with some training in the Official Guide 2020 (inclusive Reviews) and continued with the Manhattan Prep Books. After finishing all the theoretical basics, I bought GMAT Official Practice Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6 and went on with these online tasks at mba.com.

Overall, I did all the 6 diagnostic test on mba.com
Let me add some results of the Diagnostic tests:
Quantative - score: from 42 to 49
Verbal - score from 25 to 30

To my math skills: In the last weeks, I got more and more confidence with the tasks and was able to manage medium and hard tasks without problems. But I never saw quant tasks in this way before. All in all, I was not able to find any calculation approach.

The only feasible explanation is that the algorithm does not work in my quant section, maybe because of techniqual issues. My study partner took the GMAT online to the same time and reported the same problem!

I will try now everything to come in contact with the customer service. But it is nearly impossible to get an answer!

Best regards

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 889 [1]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Kudos
wow, so many with such an issue!! I mean this questions the credibility of the algorithm/test in general. As suggested, check on ESR but do not just let it go guys.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi amets13,

This is the first I've heard of this happening actually. Do you plan to get your ESR?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Test day algorithm issue that yielded a 0% ??? PLS HELP [#permalink]
Kudos
I am in the same situation!

I recently received my online GMAT scores with Q6.. I did not even know this was possible. During the quant part the questions were quite hard(I’m not saying I should get a Q49 but come on this has got to be an error), and I cannot understand such a score. I have passed the online exam on November 15th.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi everyone thanks for the suggestions and feedback -- glad to hear that this is shocking to others as well. As mentioned, I have been unemployed since October so the $30 ESR is a bit of a concern for me as that could better be used elsewhere at the moment so I will be holding off most likely but I so sincerely appreciate the support!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
If there is an issue, I daresay, GMAC will be release an Official Statement or give out replies.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [2]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
amets13 wrote:
My official GMAT scores are showing a Q6/0% that I believe to be an error. I have seen posts for the official practice exams glitching but have not heard of anyone seeing the bug on official test day......

Some background:
- I began studying in July after deciding my next career move is an MBA.
- I took a baseline (no prep, no review) official practice test 1 and got a 570 V34 Q34. I was pretty pleased after not using math at work at all or since freshman year of college (2012). I studied ~5 hours a week.
- I was laid off in September and have studied every day for 2-8 hours a day and was scoring about 65-80% of quant questions correct (depending on the day and the topic etc).
- I took the 2nd of the 2 free official practice exams end of October and scored a 630 Q39 V38
- I studied 8-12 hours a day for the next 2 weeks consistently hitting 75% or above on quant
- I took the official test Nov 9th and received my scores Nov 11th - 350 (did not know that was humanly possible as all charts I have seen start in the 400s) with Quant score 6 at 0%. Look, I know my quant score is no where near as high as I would like but this has got to be an error....right?

I called the GMAT customer service number and was immediately FWd to Pearson. After explaining the situation, Pearson left me on hold for 30 mins and came back to say that this is a matter for GMAT not them. I called GMAT's US number and they immediately told me to call Pearson. I let the operator know that I had just heard the opposite from Pearson and asked him what else could be done. After some pushing he admitted that: A) I did not get every question incorrect as this score would imply and that B) He has seen this a few times before in qualified test takers!!! Yet their policy remains the same; no retesting.

I completely understand that as a testing company used by some of the most competitive, type A, eager, and intelligent people in the world they have to set boundaries with frustrated test takers. If this score had been extremely low (in the 20s) I would chalk it up to my own mistakes, test day nervousness, etc. But the 0% is actually impossible with the level I have prepared and what I was scoring at on official questions.
It goes without saying that I'll be retaking the exam but as an unemployed person the additional $250 is out of my budget. Has anyone experienced or heard of something similar? Am I missing something? Any recommendations with how to proceed?

Thank you all in advance for reading through this mess and for any advice you may have!!! :)

Sorry for your experience.
This is 2nd such case i'm seeing within a week.
GMAC needs to update ASAP.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Do you have an idea, which responsible contact person I can ask about the issue?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
I suggest we report this on the mba website, considering our location and the time frame they should investigate this issue and come up with something.

Best regards,

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Edeler wrote:
Do you have an idea, which responsible contact person I can ask about the issue?

I had called the 952 681 3680 number first that ultimately directed me to Pearson. After speaking with them I called the 703 668 9604 number and spoke with Julio Rodriguez who sent me a follow up email to confirm he has my contact info but I have not heard from him since then (Nov 12th - one week ago).
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 530 Q37 V26
Send PM
Hi, I had a test-day issue at an exam center last October. I asked for a full refund and received it. It's definitely not ideal that they haven't given you an exception to re-take an extra time, but at least the refund could help cover the next one!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nicoleahgold wrote:
Hi, I had a test-day issue at an exam center last October. I asked for a full refund and received it. It's definitely not ideal that they haven't given you an exception to re-take an extra time, but at least the refund could help cover the next one!

Thanks for sharing! Do you mind letting me know how you went about asking/phrasing etc so I can attempt the same? Thanks so much!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 165 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
A friend of mine faced the same issue but with the verbal part (V6). GMAC is not even acknowledging that they might be an error, they outright rejected the claims. Since it is an online exam ESR isn't available
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 243
Send PM
Hi All,
I have taken the online gmat recently and faced the same issue where the quant score is 6. My target score is 500 plus and I scored above that in mocks. But online test results is shocking .
Is there anyway we can get this sorted by talking to Pearson? Has anyone been able to get this sorted ?
Request you to plz advise.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Hi everyone,

I am facing a similar issue. I got a Q49 V6.
It should be wrong, as I never scored below V34 in any of the mocks. Can anyone help me with who to contact regarding this?
Also, there is no ESR for GMAT online, so getting that is out of the question.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts