Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:26 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619231 [10]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619231 [3]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
A family is looking into purchasing and installing solar panels at the [#permalink]
A family is looking into purchasing and installing solar panels at their home in order to apply an alternative energy resource and thus reduce their energy bills.
- Intent of family is shown, which is the core of the argument later on.

The solar panels store up sunlight each day and convert it to energy for the home, with the more sunlight absorbed creating a surplus of energy for the home and offsetting energy bills.
- Some details about panels is given, whether important or not depends upon the question stem and answer choices. Sadly, I, however, chose to ignore it as i thought the next sentence is given more importance in the passage. :(

At present, however, the cost of investing in solar panels is comparatively greater than the return investment in decreased energy bills. Because of the expense that is required to produce and market the solar panels, the initial cost can sometimes take more than a decade to realize in energy cost advantage.
- The word 'however' made me think that this sentence is stresses upon more. So, i stuck to cost thing while analysing answer choices.

The family is still planning on investing in the solar panels, however, believing that they will see a return fairly quickly.
- Family's final decision to invest. Our conclusion.

Based on the information contained within the passage, which of the following, if true, most supports the decision by the family to invest in solar panels?

(A) The government is now offering incentives to homeowners who invest in solar panels.

(B) Coal is believed to be the most inexpensive source of energy, and producers expect to see a drop in coal prices soon.

(C) Silicon is a chief proponent of solar panels for many manufacturers, and silicon production is expected to rise considerably within the next few months.

(D) With the sharp rise in energy costs, consumer demand for solar panels has increased quickly, with several new manufacturers to begin production soon.

(E) The family lives in Southern California, where they receive a large amount of sunlight each day.

Only A and E are contenders as can be seen from GC's data of marked answers.
For a moment, even before reading the answer choices, i thought that sunlight intensity would play a major role in this passage. However, the mistake of not reading properly cost me to go for A eventually. Should have paid attention to highlighted text in the passage. I was also going in right direction to think whether govt's 'incentive' is enough to compensate the 'initial cost' that the family would incur. Two reasons make E a better choice
1. That sunlight would be large EACH day.
2. What 'incentive' means actually. Its an open option that can go in either direction.

Answer E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 337
Send PM
Re: A family is looking into purchasing and installing solar panels at the [#permalink]
If you can't judge whether the amount of incentive that govt. gives will be sufficient or not, then how can you judge that the large amount of sunlight will help this particular family to realize the ROI fairly quickly?
It can be that the amount of sunlight required is too much that even daily level of large sunlight can't help much?!
This way if A is not strong enough, E is not strong either.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
Send PM
Re: A family is looking into purchasing and installing solar panels at the [#permalink]
ayushgmatclub1 wrote:
If you can't judge whether the amount of incentive that govt. gives will be sufficient or not, then how can you judge that the large amount of sunlight will help this particular family to realize the ROI fairly quickly?
It can be that the amount of sunlight required is too much that even daily level of large sunlight can't help much?!
This way if A is not strong enough, E is not strong either.

The strengthener has to be in the lines of the conclusion right? So here the family has concluded that it will have a "quick ROI" which means no matter how cheap or expensive their current investment on the panel is, the savings on the bills or the ROI would be a lot quicker than it would have been otherwise? The only way this can happen is we can consider the following situations :
1) The efficiency of the panels increases tremendously
2) Due to some phenomenon, the average sunlight received would increase
3) They live in an area where they receive a lot of sunlight (more than what is usually expected)
E is in line with the 3rd option
This is my opinion and I may be wrong. please free to correct me :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
I believe D should be also right. Let's say demand increases so the cost of production of solar panels will come down, hence the re is possibility of getting higher returns. Just because South california has lot of sunlight we cant predict . There is possibility that Solar panels may not tolerate the heat or even weather pattern might change
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts