Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 11:00 It is currently 05 May 2024, 11:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 wrote:
Avoid MBS and AGSM if ur profile is competitive for top 15 schools in USA..

I worked and lived in Sydney for many years..Apart from Sydney and Melbourne being great cities doesnt mean any thing to these programs... MBA is not a highly valued in Australia( I worked on Trading floor- many of the highly paid bankers from Maquarie have just undergrad degrees ) ...

Getting PR of Australia is very easy, but getting Job is the toughest ...Look at the career stats of AGSM..( Campus facilitated jobs -just 15% )....

cheers

ozmba,

waav thanks for the info!! I was seriously considering moving back to Melbourne.. but now that you mention it.. it makes sense.. in my undegrad i had to fight out for jobs by myself.. not much help!

and you could be right.. i dont know how much does aus value higher level degrees?
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
No worries man
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would much rather visit and watch the kangaroos thrash the poms in the Ashes ! B-school is largely a US thing...and it will probably stay that way for our generation. BTW, I met a guy from INSEAD who recently graduated and is going through a recruiting nightmare. At this point, he is ready to accept any offer and in any location. He was really pissed that a ton of people who he studied with already worked for one of the big consulting firms where they got absorbed post-MBA. The recruiting stats sometimes don't tell the whole story.

Ozmba2006 wrote:
No worries man
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ashes and Poms...ur not a american then :lol: :lol:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am a long time US resident but love my flippers and doosras.

Ozmba2006 wrote:
Ashes and Poms...ur not a american then :lol: :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
no more inputs from anybody?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
How about RSM? Any thougths...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
[#permalink]
i got accepted to RSM this year... but turned it down due to financial complications.

what would you like to know?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi guys,

I am currently based in Sydney so I decided to apply to AGSM as a practice for my applications to US schools and I think I am a little bit disappointed with them based on whatever interaction I had with the admissions team.

The school offers no whatsoever financial support to applicants except an 8,000 scholarship which they use as a discount or a rebate and it is offered to almost anyone but apart from that they are not willing to listen to you if you can't write them a $50000 fee cheque. That's really discouraging for someone who is looking for some kind of financial support from the school.

I called their admissions team (just 1 lady) a few times and whenever she couldn't come up with a proper answer, she said that AGSM is the top Australian school and they can't explain all their policies to applicants.

Most of their students come from Europe and US and one of their students who came from US told me that he had a choice between going to #50 in US and coming to #1 in Australia and AGSM was also much cheaper when converted into Australian dollars. AGSM costs around USD $45,000 for two years and you get Australian PR in the end. That's not a bad offer for some people.

Thanks
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
financeguy wrote:
Hi guys,

I am currently based in Sydney so I decided to apply to AGSM as a practice for my applications to US schools and I think I am a little bit disappointed with them based on whatever interaction I had with the admissions team.

The school offers no whatsoever financial support to applicants except an 8,000 scholarship which they use as a discount or a rebate and it is offered to almost anyone but apart from that they are not willing to listen to you if you can't write them a $50000 fee cheque. That's really discouraging for someone who is looking for some kind of financial support from the school.

I called their admissions team (just 1 lady) a few times and whenever she couldn't come up with a proper answer, she said that AGSM is the top Australian school and they can't explain all their policies to applicants.

Most of their students come from Europe and US and one of their students who came from US told me that he had a choice between going to #50 in US and coming to #1 in Australia and AGSM was also much cheaper when converted into Australian dollars. AGSM costs around USD $45,000 for two years and you get Australian PR in the end. That's not a bad offer for some people.

Thanks

Guess Aussie citizens get loan for the total cost -Fee + Living expense....

ANZ bank offers a loan, which covers the entire course fee - 50,000AU$

Think you need a Aussie Co-signer or have a Per. residency!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 wrote:

Guess Aussie citizens get loan for the total cost -Fee + Living expense....

ANZ bank offers a loan, which covers the entire course fee - 50,000AU$

Think you need a Aussie Co-signer or have a Per. residency!

The issue with ANZ loan is that they can loan up to 70% of your last 12 month's earnings. The total loan amount that you need is around 70K and if I had earned 100 K in last 12 months, why would I even go to a business school?

Someone also told me that ANZ sanctioned only 3 loans last year.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
Interesting discussion about AGSM and MBS. I am in Sydney as well. I will not bother with any of the Aussie schools. Not because I don't fancy them, but because they do not cater for my end goals of switching to a Finance heavy career.

Ozmba, you are spot on about Macquarie. I have worked there too and have noticed how most people just have pure undergraduate degrees. Why would they bother ? most of them start at 60-70K base + potential for 100 % bonus. That kind of money is unheard of any any profession other than Finance and it goes further in Sydney than it would say in London or NYC. I guess in terms of high finance, Australia is, and will remain for a long time, rather small.

I had a different undergraduate experience in New Zealand, but I think its somewhat similar to Australian undergrads. Universities in ANZ region do NOT have the same ties to industry as the American universities do. Its as simple as that. After graduation, its sink or swim. The career support is pretty shoddy. If you are an arts graduate then you are in for an extremely difficult time.

Having said that, the MBA schools are a lot better in that regard. Two of my mates have done an MBA recently. One from AGSM and one from MBS. They both found pretty decent (in fact international) placements. One in Germany and one in Japan. Hence, I get the feeling that even if you do study in these schools, you will get a decent job if you are good enough.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
No doubt about AGSM/MBS

They are great schools

But US MBA has more options!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 wrote:
No doubt about AGSM/MBS

They are great schools

But US MBA has more options!

I think the biggest weakness of Australian schools is lack of financial support for international students and that severally impacts the quality of their applicant pool and that's one reason that anyone with a GMAT score of 560 and 2 years work experience can get into AGSM. Their acceptance rate is more than 60% with a very low yield even from those who get accepted on such a broad criterion.

Australian schools are not investing into their applicants like US schools do and that's why they have consistently failed to attract the top talent from international applicant pool. The recent immigration reforms also make it very difficult for international MBA's to apply for a residency or get jobs after completion of their degrees.

As far as jobs are concerned, I know many examples of Indian students who could get neither job or residency and had to go back with a debt of $50000. Unlike US, Australia doesn't give any time to international students for fining a job at the end of their degree and they have to leave within 28 days.

Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]