Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 21:47 It is currently 02 May 2024, 21:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Nope, in spite of my typo-strewn posts, I am a good writer.

I had my supervisor (who is a grantwriter and therefore an excellent story teller and the queen of getting people to give her stuff) read most of them for content, tone, and "plot."

And a woman who works for me used to work in publishing, so she is looking at them once I'm done, mostly to check for consistency. You know, always writing out "three" instead of typing "3" and making sure I use two commas in a list of three items, blahblahblah.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:

I had my supervisor (who is a grantwriter and therefore an excellent story teller and the queen of getting people to give her stuff) read most of them for content, tone, and "plot."

And a woman who works for me used to work in publishing, so she is looking at them once I'm done, mostly to check for consistency. You know, always writing out "three" instead of typing "3" and making sure I use two commas in a list of three items, blahblahblah.

Who do you think is a better reader, a person who has PHD in English or a person with PHD in Business or any other business related disciplines let' say?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Tajik4GMAT wrote:
aaudetat wrote:

Who do you think is a better reader, a person who has PHD in English or a person with PHD in Business or any other business related disciplines let' say?

I'd pick the business person if english is their native tongue. Will have a stronger understanding of what you want to do, and their english skills are likely to be good. If they are from tajikistan or something, maybe not.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm gonna go English. They know how to write. It's what they studied. Yes, they could still be painfully verbose or something, but they know how to tell a story, to build a narrative that works and is grammatical.

Business folks sometimes know how to write, but generally, they don't study business because they're good writers. English scholars do.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
And I meant a native speaker who had probably studied English as in comparative literature or technical writing or something like that.

Not your ESL-type English PhD.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
And I meant a native speaker who had probably studied English as in comparative literature or technical writing or something like that.

hahahaah.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
batchgmat wrote:
Wow, we have some of the same Rd 2 schools (Cornell, Duke).

I have Cornell *almost* done, my word count is still a bit high for both essays. At this point I would be satisfied with 460 for each.

Good job on the flash back-up.

I know I am a bit Pollyanna about this, but Cornell specifically says, "Applicants must respect the 400-word limits." If they don't say it, I have gone a bit over here and there. A bit. But since these guys are specific, I'm doing what they say.

Of course, I doubt they'll actually count them, but they might be able to eyeball it - I don't know.

My theory is that it's best not to provoke them if humanly possible. (though i just screwed that up myself - did you remember to send in the Duke supplemental materials checklist? I didn't. Doh.)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
I went over. Where did you see that statement?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:

No, it is my advanced comp proff.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
I don't remember, but it's definitely there. And in more than one place. I copied and pasted it at the top of my draft to inspire the chopping.

Besides, I'm supposed to be workin' here. You go find it. We all know you've got the time now. And it will keep your mind off Kellogg and HBS.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, you could always get more than one person to read your essays. When it's hard to decide, don't! Do both.

Yeah, Rhyme, that's what you should do. Do 2 years at Kellogg and then head over to Chicago for 2 more. THat would be fun, dontcha think?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
Well, you could always get more than one person to read your essays. When it's hard to decide, don't! Do both.

Yeah, Rhyme, that's what you should do. Do 2 years at Kellogg and then head over to Chicago for 2 more. THat would be fun, dontcha think?

It would. Expensive, but it would.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
stick update [#permalink]
Thought I would let you all know that i found my stick yesterday morning - in a puddle in my yard. They don't float. I don't know if it will work, and don't care since I re-did what little I'd lost and had backed up the rest anyway.

I must be completely losing it. Yesterday I lost my laptop (long, stupid story), but was relieved that everything was backed up on my new flash drive, which was in my pocket. When I pulled the stick out, I also pulled out a magnet that one of my volunteers had given me. A fairly strong magnet. My supervisee says, "maybe you don't want to put your flash in your pocket with a magnet."

OHMIGOD!!!!

Stick turned out to be ok, found the laptop. But really, I'm a wreck. Ridiculous.
GMAT Club Bot
stick update [#permalink]