Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1553 [5]
Given Kudos: 132
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 500 Q43 V17
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 4: 510 Q44 V17
Send PM
School Moderator - INSEAD Masters
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [1]
Given Kudos: 193
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Sales (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Re: Stellar objects are dynamic systems involving a symbiotic relationship [#permalink]
Bunuel request your explanations for this passage
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
Re: Stellar objects are dynamic systems involving a symbiotic relationship [#permalink]
Can someone please explain Option D of 1st question?
I think it closely aligns with the stated fact in the passage.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [1]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Stellar objects are dynamic systems involving a symbiotic relationship [#permalink]
Kudos
shkandy wrote:
Bunuel request your explanations for this passage

Hi shkandy, Krishchamp,

Let me know if this helps.

1. According to the passage which of the following is not true of all stars?

(A) They generated helium as a product of thermonuclear fusion.
(B) They rely on internally produced pressures to counteract the effects of gravity on their own mass.
(C) They possess cores hot enough to combine nuclei.
(D) They eventually produce iron cores through thermonuclear burning.
(E) Their ultimate form is related to the mass they possess as they begin to die.

Explanation: Consider the lines: "If the star is massive enough, as the core contracts and heats, transforming gravitational energy into kinetic energy, it begins burning helium ashes and producing iron, the most stable of nuclei. This thermonuclear burning continues until it produces an iron core at the heart of the star.." We can infer that D is not true for all stars, whereas other options mentioned are relevant for all the stars.

2. The primary purpose of the passage is to

(A) present a commonplace idea and its inaccuracies
(B) explore the implications of a finding
(C) propose a hypothesis for unexplained observations
(D) analyze a frequent source of misunderstanding
(E) describe a process and its outcomes

Explanation: Throughout the passage we see that author describing the Thermonuclear fusion and how it leads to the three final forms a star, thus implying that option E is the correct choice. Other options are incorrect as author is not presenting any idea or an hypothesis and mentioning their inaccuracies or implications. He is simply talking about a process and how it leads to the formation of white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole.

3. Which of the following can most logically be inferred from the passage?

(A) Our Sun has fused the majority of the hydrogen contained within it.
(B) A supernovae shock precedes the formation of a black hole.
(C) Neutrino radiation is caused by ultra-relativistically electrons.
(D) Fermi pressure is brought about by the gravitational pressure of a collapsing star.
(E) A white dwarf star is incapable of melting the tails of passing comets.

Explanation: can be inferred from the lines: "a supernovae shock develops ejecting most of the mass of the star into interstellar space and leaving behind an extremely dense core: the neutron star. As a star collapses into a neutron core,.......the star will collapse into an object of zero radius: a black hole.", implying that a supernovae shock precedes the formation of a black hole. Options A, D and E cannot be inferred as they are not mentioned in the passage. Option C is a little tricky as it is present in the passage, and can be considered as a trap answer, but is not correct. From the passage, we know that when the core collapses, a supernovae shock develops ejecting most of the mass of the star into interstellar space and leaving behind an extremely dense core: the neutron star. Now, what's mentioned next is : "As a star collapses into a neutron core, it begins to lose mass in the form of neutrino radiation.", thus we cannot if Neutrino radiation is caused by the ultra-relativistically electrons.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
What is the level of this passage?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32952 [0]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
aishumurali wrote:
What is the level of this passage?

Hi aishumurali

Welcome to GMAT Club!

I suppose by the level of the passage you mean the difficulty level, below should be the difficulty level of the questions in my opinion.

Question 1: 750-800
Question 2: 450-500
Question 3: 700
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts