Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Stanford '23
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
GPA: 2.75
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [3]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Can I sacrifice 2nd RC on test to get V38-40? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
mobeen7111 wrote:
Now, I need help from you guys. I have read before in some debriefs that the 2nd RC can blow up the timing in the real test big time and its better to cap its timing and pace through the second RC. Otherwise, the 2nd RC is generally tough so its accuracy is hard to achieve and it hampers the timing which gets the accuracy of the last 6 questions significantly down.

Hi mobeen7111,

I agree with vv65. And while I respect the opinions expressed in the debriefs you read, what you took away from those debriefs is just not correct.
1. The second RC isn't special in any way, and there's no way to know when in the test you will see it. What happens if you get two passages in the first quarter itself?
2. The second RC may or may not be difficult. If a test taker didn't do too well in the initial questions, it may be easy. And if it is experimental, it may not even count.

Also, given that you already have a V35 on the GMAT, you most likely don't need anything as drastic and unpredictable as "skipping" an entire RC passage. I think you should focus instead on improving your speed. V40 (90%) is an extremely good score, and it won't be easy to get a score like that if we end up "skipping" 3-4 questions.
Tutor
Affiliations: RetaketheGMAT by i4Excellence
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Expert Reply
I have to agree that "sacrificing" a RC passage is too risky and drastic a move. Remember the adaptive nature of the test really penalized a series of wrong answers. In case, you got the question prior to RC2 wrong and then get 2 or 3 of the RC2 questions wrongs -- you've got a run of 3 - 4 wrong answers in a row on your hands. Not good.

I agree that RC passages are the timing "black holes" of the verbal section -- the better way to tackle them if you're trying recover time is to read for high level (purpose and tone) and and give yourself a chance to get 2 of the 3 right and then guess more intelligently on the 3rd one.

If you want more insights into your RC challenges (or any other verbal or quant skill gaps), we offer a FREE diagnostic session that we can setup after a quick intro call.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Stanford '23
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
GPA: 2.75
Send PM
Appreciate your help guys. So I did improve my timing and managed to get same V34 again. Q47 again and 660 again. =|

Timing was well managed and I did understand. Turns out I have to work on better story and i dont have stamina to invest more time and I'll focus on my story and choosing the right program.
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
mobeen7111 wrote:
Appreciate your help guys. So I did improve my timing and managed to get same V34 again. Q47 again and 660 again. =|

Timing was well managed and I did understand. Turns out I have to work on better story and i dont have stamina to invest more time and I'll focus on my story and choosing the right program.

Hi mobeen7111,

Sorry to hear that your GMAT exam did not go as planned. However, don't lose heart. You're almost there. Just a little guidance will help you hit your target score.

You can get some insights from Rishabh's journey who improved from 670 to 740 in 20 days despite a hectic work schedule:

Having said that, I would like to have a one-on-one conversation with you. The discussion would be mostly around the answers to the questions like the approach being followed by you, the approximate time you have for the next attempt and the plan of action. If you have an ESR with you, that will be even more helpful to get the insights about your performance. You use use the link below to schedule a call with me. Considering the effort you have put, I would really like to know the concerns and help you improve your score.

Click here to schedule a call
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
mobeen7111 wrote:

Hi mobeen7111,

That makes sense. You could always take the exam again if you change your mind later.

All the best.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22063 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi mobeen7111,

How did things go with your GMAT??
GMAT Club Bot