Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35491 [2]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35491 [0]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 445 [2]
Given Kudos: 725
Schools: NUS '25 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [1]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
The Indian rhinoceros, unlike those in Africa [#permalink]
Kudos
A) The Indian rhinoceros, unlike those in Africa, uses its incisors rather than its horns to protect itself.
rhinoceros is singular so using "those" is wrong. Even if we don't know whether it is singular or not, we can see the discrepancy by the usage of "those" and "its"

B) The rhinoceroses from India, unlike those in Africa, uses its incisors rather than its horns to protect itself.
Same discrepancy

C) The Indian rhinoceros, unlike the one in Africa, uses its incisors rather than its horns to protect itself.
one seems like referring to "Indian rhinoceros", giving us an illogical meaning; Indian rhinoceros in Africa

D) Indian rhinoceroses, unlike those in Africa, use their incisors rather than their horns to protect themselves.
"those" seems to refer to "Indian rhinoceroses

E) Rhinoceroses found in India, unlike those found in Africa, use their incisors rather than their horns to defend themselves.
Correct

Expert ı have a question;
So here between D and E, "Indian rhinoceroses...those in Africa" VS "Rhinoceroses found in India...those found in Africa"
here both "Indian" and "found in India" plays the role of a modifier, one is an adjective the other one is a participial modifier
So the question is when "that" or "those" refer to a something that has an adjective or a modifier or a preposition, is the adjective/modifier/preposition carried with the very noun?
As far as ı have seen, prepositions aren't really carried over but ı guess, adjectives are somehow carried over, though ı don't know why...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: The Indian rhinoceros, unlike those in Africa [#permalink]
I chose D, until i saw the "found" word in option E. Would love to hear why option D is incorrect?
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [2]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
gandalfthegreat wrote:
I chose D, until i saw the "found" word in option E. Would love to hear why option D is incorrect?
gloomybison & gandalfthegreat
(E ) is superior to (D) on the basis of perfect parallelism.
Correct idiomatic structure is: X unlike Y. Here, X and Y should be parallel. In (D), X is "Indian Rhinoceros"- a noun, and Y is "those in Africa"- a noun + prepositional phrase. Thus, X and Y are not parallel. Also, "Those" here should logically refer to "rhinoceros" only, but some can make a case of it being ambiguous and referring to "Indian Rhinoceros". (E) is without any such claims for ambiguity. Also, the structure in (E) is nice and parallel. X in (E) is "Rhinoceros found in India"- a noun + prepositional phrase and Y is "those found in Africa"-another noun + prepositional phrase. Here, X and Y both are parallel and that's what makes (E) preferred over (D).

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
PyjamaScientist wrote:
gandalfthegreat wrote:
gloomybison & gandalfthegreat
(E ) is superior to (D) on the basis of perfect parallelism.
Correct idiomatic structure is: X unlike Y. Here, X and Y should be parallel. In (D), X is "Indian Rhinoceros"- a noun, and Y is "those in Africa"- a noun + prepositional phrase. Thus, X and Y are not parallel. Also, "Those" here should logically refer to "rhinoceros" only, but some can make a case of it being ambiguous and referring to "Indian Rhinoceros". (E) is without any such claims for ambiguity. Also, the structure in (E) is nice and parallel. X in (E) is "Rhinoceros found in India"- a noun + prepositional phrase and Y is "those found in Africa"-another noun + prepositional phrase. Here, X and Y both are parallel and that's what makes (E) preferred over (D).

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks! the change of word from "protect" to "defend" also contributed to Option E being the right answer or no? Doesn't defend change/alter the meaning of the word protect?
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [1]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
gandalfthegreat wrote:
Thanks! the change of word from "protect" to "defend" also contributed to Option E being the right answer or no? Doesn't defend change/alter the meaning of the word protect?

Hi gandalfthegreat,
Well, in my opinion, "defend" and "protect" are synonyms. So, using either would be fine here. There's little distinction between the two as per Merriam Webster, but I still believe that both can be used almost interchangeably. The distinction between "defend" and "protect" as per MW is-
DEFEND is used for danger or an attack that is actual or threatening. The soldiers defended the fort against enemy troops.
PROTECT is used when some kind of shield can prevent possible attack or injury. Protect your eyes with dark glasses.
But, I highly doubt that you need to memorize this minor distinction while answering SC questions in GMAT. Just knowing that these two words mean almost the same, i.e., "to defend" is enough.

P.S: Please tag me by using "@" + my "username" i.e., pyjamascientist (Eg. @_pyjamascientist, without the underscore between "at" and the "username"), so that I can be notified about the same. Posts without the tag almost never reach the person it is intended towards.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Given Kudos: 259
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

The Indian rhinoceros, unlike those in Africa, uses its incisors rather than its horns to protect itself.

A) The Indian rhinoceros, unlike those in Africa, uses its incisors rather than its horns to protect itself.

B) The rhinoceroses from India, unlike those in Africa, uses its incisors rather than its horns to protect itself.

C) The Indian rhinoceros, unlike the one in Africa, uses its incisors rather than its horns to protect itself.

D) Indian rhinoceroses, unlike those in Africa, use their incisors rather than their horns to protect themselves.

E) Rhinoceroses found in India, unlike those found in Africa, use their incisors rather than their horns to defend themselves.

This question can easily be tackled provided we use some logic. Most important, we cannot use Indian as an adjective for the Rhinoceros, because it would then illogically imply that the pronouns such as ''one'', ''those'' is referring to the Indian Rhinoceros/es. How can Indian Rhinos exist in Africa? The point here is to compare Rhinos of India with those of Africa. Thus, only two options that make logical sense are Option B and E. Option B clearly has a Noun-pronoun agreement error. Thus, Option E is the winner.

Alternatively, if the above logic doesn't strike at the exam time, we can simply use mechanical stuff to eliminate. The mechanical stuff is UNLIKE Comparison trigger. We can either compare Noun with Noun or compare prepositional phrase with prepositional phrase, both are acceptable usages. However, options A, C, and D flout the rule by contrasting noun phrase with the prepositional phrase.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts