Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 18:07 It is currently 08 May 2024, 18:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622260 [8]
Given Kudos: 81800
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622260 [0]
Given Kudos: 81800
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [3]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
WE:Brand Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: V06-21 [#permalink]
Kudos
IN SC WE WILL KEEP TENSE SIMPLE. IN OPTION C
This option correctly displays parallel form between two verbs in simple past tense, borrowed and lived.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Yeah but how can borrowed and lived be parallel, if two different entities performed those actions? Besides there is no parallelism marker. So yes, choice B is indeed correct, but the explanation for it should be in terms of sequence of events and not parallelism. It's just for the two entities, Leaders and Indian women, the events happened at the same time in the past, and that is why Past Simple is correct in both places.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I think when the statement talks about single past moment... past simple is to be preferred rather than had...

In this question as the statement relates to 2 parts (borrow and lend) but at the same point time in past.. Simple past is preferred.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
Send PM
Bunuel

The women leaders should have started living before the leaders started borrowing their ideals. It cannot be parallel. So, shouldn't past perfect be used?

Although, one plausible reason could be that women living in that era were a continuous event in itself. And thus, the two events can occur simultaneously.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
had been living(perfect continuous) indicates that action is still going on. Whereas the sentence clearly shows contrary to the same. Those ideals were borrowed at the same time those specific women were living there.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Why is option D wrong? "had been borrowing" is a past continuous tense which was in progress when another action happened "lived". egmat
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Given Kudos: 494
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Send PM
I marked c but was confused between c and d. How do we know these actions occurred at the same time?
Because in case of 2 events in the past, past perfect is also used which is correct in D.
So please explain why d is wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Hi KarishmaB GMATNinja AndrewN
Could you please explain why option D is wrong?

Thank you!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65180 [1]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
harsh497 wrote:

Thank you!

There is no reason to use past perfect in this sentence. We do not have two actions at different times in the past and neither do we have an action before a certain point in the past.
We are just discussing a particular time in the past. At this time in the past, these leaders borrowed ideas from some specific women who lived at that time.
Hence (D) is not correct and (C) is correct.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
harsh497 wrote:

Thank you!

There is no reason to use past perfect in this sentence. We do not have two actions at different times in the past and neither do we have an action before a certain point in the past.
We are just discussing a particular time in the past. At this time in the past, these leaders borrowed ideas from some specific women who lived at that time.
Hence (D) is not correct and (C) is correct.

Thank you KarishmaB for your response.
How do we know that we are just talking about a particular time in the past?
It is mentioned that the leaders such as X and Y (so there could be other leaders who had been borrowing ideas from these specific women at different times during those women's lifetime)
That's why I thought it might be a continuous event until those women lived.

Posted from my mobile device
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6877 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
harsh497 wrote:

Thank you!

Hello, harsh497. It looks as if Karishma beat me to answering the first question, but I see you had a follow-up question.

harsh497 wrote:

I think you may be overlooking the word contemporary in the non-underlined part of the sentence. Its presence conveys that Mott and Stanton lived during the same time period as the women of the nearby Iroquois Indian nations. Unless the sentence added a bit to inform us that Mott and Stanton, who may have become aware that their ideals were borrowed, changed something or took a different course of action, there would be no reason to use the past perfect tense to create two distinct timelines. In Sentence Correction, you have to look at what you are given in isolation, without further information either before or after the sentence in question. Take a look at the sentence with answer choice (C) inserted.

Quote:
It is possible that early American women’s rights leaders such as Lucretia Mott and Elizabeth Cady Stanton borrowed their ideals from the women who lived in the contemporary Iroquois Indian nations nearby.

As a standalone sentence, and at a barebones level, this sentence expresses that two women may have borrowed ideals from other women who lived nearby. There is nothing to argue against, in terms of the verb tense or meaning. It is not that other sentences could not work, but (C) is a sure bet.

Thank you for thinking to ask me about the question on the whole. Perhaps it makes more sense now.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
harsh497 wrote:

Thank you!

Hello, harsh497. It looks as if Karishma beat me to answering the first question, but I see you had a follow-up question.

harsh497 wrote:

I think you may be overlooking the word contemporary in the non-underlined part of the sentence. Its presence conveys that Mott and Stanton lived during the same time period as the women of the nearby Iroquois Indian nations. Unless the sentence added a bit to inform us that Mott and Stanton, who may have become aware that their ideals were borrowed, changed something or took a different course of action, there would be no reason to use the past perfect tense to create two distinct timelines. In Sentence Correction, you have to look at what you are given in isolation, without further information either before or after the sentence in question. Take a look at the sentence with answer choice (C) inserted.

Quote:
It is possible that early American women’s rights leaders such as Lucretia Mott and Elizabeth Cady Stanton borrowed their ideals from the women who lived in the contemporary Iroquois Indian nations nearby.

As a standalone sentence, and at a barebones level, this sentence expresses that two women may have borrowed ideals from other women who lived nearby. There is nothing to argue against, in terms of the verb tense or meaning. It is not that other sentences could not work, but (C) is a sure bet.

Thank you for thinking to ask me about the question on the whole. Perhaps it makes more sense now.

- Andrew

Thank you so much Andrew, this helps!
I just checked the meaning of 'contemporary' and now, it makes perfect sense :D

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 340
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28 (Online)
GMAT 2: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V39
Send PM
Quote:

Hi AndrewN , I read your explanation and understood it. However, I had a doubt regarding words such as "contemporary". As a non-native speaker I just wanted to ask if it is a given that one must know the meaning of this word. I wasn't sure and hence, because of lack of understanding of the term "contemporary", didn't choose the correct answer choice.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6877 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
sam12rawat wrote:
Hi AndrewN , I read your explanation and understood it. However, I had a doubt regarding words such as "contemporary". As a non-native speaker I just wanted to ask if it is a given that one must know the meaning of this word. I wasn't sure and hence, because of lack of understanding of the term "contemporary", didn't choose the correct answer choice.

Hello, sam12rawat. Yes, I would say that the sentence hinges on the word contemporary. If you misinterpreted it as a synonym for ancient, for example, as in ancient Iroquois Indian nations, then you might understandably select an option with a different verb tense than the simple past.

Take note of the word so that if it pops up again, you will be ready for it. And if you feel ambitious, you can even look up various "time words" on Google and jot down a small list of such cue words.

Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 340
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28 (Online)
GMAT 2: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V39
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
sam12rawat wrote:

Hello, sam12rawat. Yes, I would say that the sentence hinges on the word contemporary. If you misinterpreted it as a synonym for ancient, for example, as in ancient Iroquois Indian nations, then you might understandably select an option with a different verb tense than the simple past.

Take note of the word so that if it pops up again, you will be ready for it. And if you feel ambitious, you can even look up various "time words" on Google and jot down a small list of such cue words.

Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew

Hi AndrewN,

Thank you for your tips. Will look up synonyms just in case.
DI Forum Moderator
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 653 [0]
Given Kudos: 1003
GMAT Focus 1:
645 Q82 V81 DI82
GMAT 1: 430 Q31 V19
GMAT 2: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.26
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re V06-21 [#permalink]
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.
GMAT Club Bot
Re V06-21 [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
93096 posts