Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619237 [9]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [11]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
General Discussion
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1614 [1]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
Re: Approximately one of four children are now born to mothers without [#permalink]
PyjamaScientist
TBH I am unsure of E as much as ı am unsure of B
Although B is unnecessarily long, doesn't E create an ambiguity by stating that "one in ten" to what does "one" refer mother or children? of course a logical reader can conclude that "one" refers to child but still...
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [0]
Send PM
Re: Approximately one of four children are now born to mothers without [#permalink]
gloomybison wrote:
PyjamaScientist
TBH I am unsure of E as much as ı am unsure of B
Although B is unnecessarily long, doesn't E create an ambiguity by stating that "one in ten" to what does "one" refer mother or children? of course a logical reader can conclude that "one" refers to child but still...

Hi Gloomybison,
I think you have answered your query yourself, "a logical reader can conclude that "one" refers to child".

I can safely say that SC questions often lie between white and black. Our aim is not to find the absolute correct version of the sentence given rather the best among the five choices provided. So, if I am able to eliminate 4 choices on the basis of substantial reasons and the last one remaining looks the best, I go ahead make the choice.

Do I think that a question like this would appear in an official material now? Perhaps no! And the unofficial questions might have a niggle here and there. So, (even Experts' global would agree on this), it is better to practice only OG questions to avoid any doubts creeping in. Though from my experience, you might find some ambiguity even in the OG questions. But, they are well debated and you can learn so much even from those flawed official questions.

Happy to respond.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 580 Q42 V27
Send PM
Kudos
Ans:E
(A) of four children are now born to mothers without a spouse, compared with just one of ten born..sv agreement issue
(B) of four children is now born to a mother who is single, compared to just one of ten children who were born..wordy
(C) child in four are now born to single mothers, compared to just one in ten..sv agreement issue
(D) child in four is now born to single mothers, compared to just one in ten...mothers is wrong here
(E) child in four is now born to a single mother, compared with just one in ten...correct
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 293 [1]
Given Kudos: 100
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
(A) of four children are now born to mothers without a spouse, compared with just one of ten born
SVA error "is" should be used instead of "are"

(B) of four children is now born to a mother who is single, compared to just one of ten children who were born
in "one of ten children who were born" SVA error "were" should be "was".also, "compared to" is used for comparing dissimilar things

(C) child in four are now born to single mothers, compared to just one in ten
SVA error same as A

(D) child in four is now born to single mothers, compared to just one in ten
"compared to" error same as B . additionally
"single mothers" distorts the meaning

(E) child in four is now born to a single mother, compared with just one in ten
so, E is the remaining .must be right
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
PyjamaScientist wrote:
(E). Time taken: 01:23

Splits used:
1. "compared with" vs "compared to"
2. one of four is/are
3. single mothers/mother

* Though archaic, "compared with" is used when "similar things are compared" and "compared to" is used "dissimilar things are compared". So, on that basis alone we can get rid of (B)/(C) and (D). But, since GMAC does not test idioms these days. Lets eliminate choices using other errors and not this idiomatic usage error and see if we get any success.

* One of four refers to a single child, so there's a Subject-verb disagreement error in choices (A) and (C).

* Between, (B) and (E), "of four children is now born to a mother who is single" in (B) is inferior to (E) for (E) uses simple and short "a single mother" instead of unnecessarily wrong "a mother who is single".

* Between (E) and (D), (D) twists the meaning by using "single mothers". Because now the sentence means, "One child out of four is born to single mothers." As if many ladies collectively gave birth to a single child. Though this narrative suits for the stories of witchcraft and mysticism. I am pretty sure that the author is not one JK Rowling.

So, (E) comes out as the winner and the correct choice in my opinion.

PyjamaScientist, thanks for the detailed post! could you please explain what is the SV disagreement in Choices A and C?
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [3]
Send PM
Approximately one of four children are now born to mothers without [#permalink]
Kudos
gandalfthegreat wrote:
PyjamaScientist, thanks for the detailed post! could you please explain what is the SV disagreement in Choices A and C?

Hi gandalfthegreat,

Lets understand what "subject-verb disagreement" actually means. S-V error occurs when the "subject" does not make sense with its "verb". For example:
    I loves Bunuel. GmatNinja are the best tutor. Gandalf are a great magician.
I hope you can see the blatant S-V disagreement in these disgusting sentences. (I almost slapped myself for writing these.) The correct versions of the above incorrect sentences are:
    I love Bunuel. GmatNinja is the best tutor. Gandalf is a great magician.
Now, lets see the "subject-verb disagreement" in (A) and (C). First lets ascertain what the subject is in (A) and (C). "One of four children" and "One child in four" both refer to a "singular child", so we can be sure that it will take a "singular verb" such as, is/has/loves/takes etc.
With this is in mind. Let's highlight the subject and its verb in (A) and (C),
    (A) One of four children are
    (C) One child in four are
And I hope it's quite clear that the subject and the verb do not match here. And the correct versions of (A) and (C) are:
    (A) One of four children is
    (C) One child in four is

I hope it helps. And thanks for thinking to ask. Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
PyjamaScientist wrote:
gandalfthegreat wrote:

Hi gandalfthegreat,

Lets understand what "subject-verb disagreement" actually means. S-V error occurs when the "subject" does not make sense with its "verb". For example:
I hope you can see the blatant S-V disagreement in these disgusting sentences. (I almost slapped myself for writing these.) The correct versions of the above incorrect sentences are:
Now, lets see the "subject-verb disagreement" in (A) and (C). First lets ascertain what the subject is in (A) and (C). "One of four children" and "One child in four" both refer to a "singular child", so we can be sure that it will take a "singular verb" such as, is/has/loves/takes etc.
And I hope it's quite clear that the subject and the verb do not match here. And the correct versions of (A) and (C) are:
    (C) One child in four is

PyjamaScientist, silly me for asking a basic grammar SVA question :( Instantly regretted after hitting the submit button. Thank you very much for the explanation and your patience!
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
gandalfthegreat wrote:
PyjamaScientist wrote:
gandalfthegreat wrote:

Hi gandalfthegreat,

(C) One child in four is

PyjamaScientist, silly me for asking a basic grammar SVA question :( Instantly regretted after hitting the submit button. Thank you very much for the explanation and your patience!

1. No doubt is silly because that's how we learn stuff and solidify concepts.
2. And there's an option at the right bottom of your "just posted" comments to "delete". So, you can "delete the post" if you feel that it is no longer needed.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [2]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Approximately one of four children are now born to mothers without [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
gandalfthegreat wrote:

gandalfthegreat , you are gracious, as is PyjamaScientist (+1).

You are also curious and driven.
I am glad that you asked a question. Doing so is not silly. Doing so is brave. So +1 for you.
(If it makes you feel any better, as a 1L at HLS, I asked questions about seemingly "simple" things so often that my classmates were shocked when end-of-term grades came out and it was clear that I had more than mastered the material. I happily obliged their misperception for an entire semester—and simply grinned when my best friend leaked my grades to astonished peers.)

You've got this.
Remember that part.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4098 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
we have 2 /3 split of four vs in four
eliminate A,B
among CDE
since comparison is of like things so 'compared with' is correct idiom
option D
D) child in four is now born to single mothers, compared to just one in ten

Bunuel wrote:
Approximately one of four children are now born to mothers without a spouse, compared with just one of ten born six years ago.

(A) of four children are now born to mothers without a spouse, compared with just one of ten born
(B) of four children is now born to a mother who is single, compared to just one of ten children who were born

This Month's Questions are Sponsored by
Experts' Global for the GMAT Club SC Butler

Experts Global

Project SC Butler

For SC butler Questions Click Here
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619237 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Approximately one of four children are now born to mothers without a spouse, compared with just one of ten born six years ago.

Experts Global

Project SC Butler

Experts' Global Official Explanation:

Comparison + Subject-verb Agreement + Meaning + Idioms + Redundancy/Awkwardness

Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of the sentence is that approximately one child in four is now born to a single mother, compared with just one child in ten (born to a single mother) six years ago.

• "compared with" is used for comparing similar things and "compared to" is used for comparing different things.

A. This answer choice incorrectly uses the plural verb “are” to refer to the singular noun phrase “one of four children”. Further, Option A alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “born to mothers”; the construction of this phrase illogically implies that one in four children is born to multiple mothers; the intended meaning is that approximately one child in four is now born to a single mother. Additionally, Option A uses the needlessly wordy phrases “one of four children” and “mothers without a spouse”, leading to awkwardness.

B. Trap. This answer choice incorrectly uses the plural verb “were” to refer to the singular noun phrase “one of ten children”. Further, Option B incorrectly uses “compared to” to compare two similar things, “one of four children” and “one of ten children”; please remember, "compared with" is used for comparing similar things, and "compared to" is used for comparing different things. Additionally, Option B uses the needlessly wordy phrases “one of four children”, “a mother who is single” and “one of ten children”, leading to awkwardness.

C. This answer choice incorrectly uses the plural verb “are” to refer to the singular noun phrase “one child in four”. Further, Option C alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “born to single mothers”; the construction of this phrase illogically implies that one in four children is born to multiple mothers; the intended meaning is that approximately one child in four is now born to a single mother. Additionally, Option C incorrectly uses “compared to” to compare two similar things, “one child in four” and “one in ten”; please remember, "compared with" is used for comparing similar things, and "compared to" is used for comparing different things.

D. Trap. This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “born to single mothers”; the construction of this phrase illogically implies that one in four children is born to multiple mothers; the intended meaning is that approximately one child in four is now born to a single mother. Further, Option D incorrectly uses “compared to” to compare two similar things, “one child in four” and “one in ten”; please remember, "compared with" is used for comparing similar things, and "compared to" is used for comparing different things.

E. Correct. This answer choice correctly uses the singular verb “is” to refer to the singular noun phrase “one child in four”. Further, Option E uses the phrase “born to a single mother”, conveying the intended meaning - that approximately one child in four is now born to a single mother. Additionally, Option E correctly uses “compared with” to compare two similar things, “one child in four” and “one in ten”. Besides, Option E is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

E is the best answer choice.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619237 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

Experts Global

Project SC Butler

Experts' Global Video Explanation:

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts