Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619183 [3]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [2]
Given Kudos: 655
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Re: HOT Competition (Instagram): To supplement a vegetarian diet that cont [#permalink]
Kudos
Answer is D

To supplement a vegetarian diet that contains surprisingly few nutrients, African elephants often dig up earth to obtain salt and minerals and churn the ground with gigantic tusks, dislodging large pieces of soil into its mouth.

(A) African elephants often dig up earth to obtain salt and minerals and churn the ground with gigantic tusks, dislodging

In non underlined portion it's refer to singular African elephant
So it should be the African elephant vs. African elephants
Incorrect choice

(B) African elephants often dig up earth to obtain salt and minerals, and they churn the ground with gigantic tusks and dislodge

Incorrect choice

(C) African elephants often obtain salt and minerals by digging up earth, churn the ground with their gigantic tusks, and dislodge

Incorrect choice

(D) the African elephant often obtains salt and minerals by digging up earth, churning the ground with gigantic tusks and dislodging

Also parallelism is maintained
Digging....., Churning..., And dislodging.....
So this choice is best among the rest.
Correct answer
(E) the African elephant often obtains salt and minerals by digging up earth, churns the ground with gigantic tusks, and it dislodges

Corrected Subject verb agreement but parallelism error also presence of it is confusing
Incorrect

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [1]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: HOT Competition (Instagram): To supplement a vegetarian diet that cont [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO D

To supplement a vegetarian diet that contains surprisingly few nutrients, African elephants often dig up earth to obtain salt and minerals and churn the ground with gigantic tusks, dislodging large pieces of soil into its mouth.

# The Easy to Spot error is the Pronoun number agreement. The Singular Pronoun "Its" Should refer to singular "Elephant" and not "Elephants"

# Meaning Error: To Supplement a vegetarian diet, Elephant (a) dig up earth to obtain salt & mineral (b) Churn the ground with gigantic tusks.
Both of them not make sense. "To supplement a diet, elephant obtain salt & mineral" Churning & dislodging should be parallel & modify the previous clause.

(A) African elephants often dig up earth to obtain salt and minerals and churn the ground with gigantic tusks, dislodging Incorrect -
Pronoun number Error (its-elephants), Meaning Error (To supplement, Elephants dig (obtain)...) & (To supplement diet, Elephant churn)-

(B) African elephants often dig up earth to obtain salt and minerals, and they churn the ground with gigantic tusks and dislodge Incorrect
Pronoun number Error (its-elephants), Meaning Error (To supplement, Elephants obtain...)

(C) African elephants often obtain salt and minerals by digging up earth, churn the ground with their gigantic tusks, and dislodge Incorrect
Pronoun number Error (its-elephants), Meaning Error (To supplement, Elephants obtain, churn, dislodge...)

(D) the African elephant often obtains salt and minerals by digging up earth, churning the ground with gigantic tusks and dislodging Correct-
To Supplement diet, Elephant obtains...., Churning & dislodging. (V-ing modifier Churning & dislodging modify previous clause i.e it is providing effect of the previous clause

(E) the African elephant often obtains salt and minerals by digging up earth,churns the ground with gigantic tusks, and it dislodges Incorrect
Meaning Error (To supplement diet, Elephant obtains , churns, and it dislodges) forced parallelism makes the meaning akward.

Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1613 [1]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Kudos

(A) African elephants often dig up earth to obtain salt and minerals and churn the ground with gigantic tusks, dislodging

(B) African elephants often dig up earth to obtain salt and minerals, and they churn the ground with gigantic tusks and dislodge

(C) African elephants often obtain salt and minerals by digging up earth, churn the ground with their gigantic tusks, and dislodge

(D) the African elephant often obtains salt and minerals by digging up earth, churning the ground with gigantic tusks and dislodging

(E) the African elephant often obtains salt and minerals by digging up earth, churns the ground with gigantic tusks, and it dislodges

POE-

A, B & C - eliminate, 'its mouth' singular, so singular subject required

D & E - E out , parallelism error after 'and'

so answer D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
IMO D

Easy to spot error-Pronoun number agreement. The Singular Pronoun "Its" Should refer to singular "Elephant" and not "Elephants"

We can startightaway remove option A, B & C with this error

Another error is
Meaning Error: To Supplement a vegetarian diet, Elephant (a) dig up earth to obtain salt & mineral (b) Churn the ground with gigantic tusks.
Both of them not make sense. "To supplement a diet, elephant obtain salt & mineral" Churning & dislodging should be parallel & modify the previous clause.

With this we can remove Option E, also A,B & C have same error

Hence Option D is Correct

Option D :- To Supplement diet, Elephant obtains...., Churning & dislodging. (V-ing modifier Churning & dislodging modify previous clause i.e it is providing effect of the previous clause

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [2]
Given Kudos: 1608
Send PM
Kudos

Incorrect - pronoun error , subject does not match with its

Incorrect - same error as above

Incorrect - same error along with parallelism error - digging, churn and dislodge

Correct

Incorrect - parallelism error
Parallel list is digs, churns and dislodges

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts